News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA 2009-10 Hoops: Yo, mah Jordans, nigga

Started by CountDeMoney, October 25, 2009, 09:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Okay, I made the mistake of looking at Bracketology on espn.com.  I would be totally okay with WVU ending up a #3 seed as they projected.... were it not for the fact that they have New Mexico as a 2 seed.  W-T-F.  A 28-3 record doesn't mean jack squat when your strength of schedule is 58th.  (Btw, Georgetown is 1st in SOS).

Anywho, whether or not they can beat Nova tomorrow, WVU needs to win a game (or two) in the Big East tourney to solidify themselves even as a #3 seed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Austin Freeman, GU's one consistent scoring threat, has been diagnosed with diabetes and is questionable for the rest of the season.   :(

Berkut

Arizona is a lock for the tournament again.

As long as they win the Pac-10 tournament, that is.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2010, 06:22:03 PM
Austin Freeman, GU's one consistent scoring threat, has been diagnosed with diabetes and is questionable for the rest of the season.   :(

Hopefully he can pull an Adam Morrison & continue to play.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

QuoteMcConnell, Allen hot from outside as Gaels upset Bulldogs

West Coast Conference Standings
TEAM    CONF W-L    TOTAL W-L
#14 Gonzaga    12-2    26-6
Saint Mary's    11-3    26-5
Portland    10-4    21-10
San Francisco    7-7    12-18
Loyola Marymount7-7    18-15
San Diego    3-11    11-21
Santa Clara    3-11    11-21
Pepperdine    3-11    7-24

LAS VEGAS -- Omar Samhan practically floated down the Orleans Arena hallway with a net around his neck when Mickey McConnell rushed up from behind, jumped and joyously shoved his Saint Mary's teammate, nearly knocking him down.

Easy there, MVP. After making mighty Gonzaga look ordinary, these remarkable Gaels need to stay healthy through their first peaceful Selection Sunday in years before a trip to the NCAA tournament.

McConnell matched his career high with 26 points, Ben Allen added a career-best 20 and Saint Mary's upset the Zags (No. 14 ESPN/USA Today, No. 18 AP) 81-62 Monday night, winning the West Coast Conference tournament title game with stunning decisiveness.

Jorden Page scored 11 points and Samhan had nine points and seven rebounds for the Gaels (26-5), who earned the sixth NCAA berth in the small Bay Area school's history with a stellar shooting performance against top-seeded Gonzaga (26-6), the 10-time regular-season WCC champions.

Samhan, one of just two seniors in uniform for the Gaels, said he wanted this win "more than anything else in my life."

When the on-court celebration with dozens of their traveling fans finally ended in an arena nearly filled with Gonzaga supporters, the Gaels could finally ponder what they accomplished -- even while thinking ahead to a week of celebrations in the verdant East Bay hills.

"The last two years, we've been sitting there on Selection Sunday, hoping and waiting," Samhan said. "One year we were in, one year we weren't. This year, we wanted to make sure."

Saint Mary's won the WCC tournament for just the second time since it began in 1987, beating Gonzaga for the first time in 10 tourney meetings -- and it did it with an all-around impressive offensive game that included 68 percent shooting in the second half.

McConnell and Allen hit four 3-pointers apiece, propelling the Gaels to a first-half lead before an electric 18-7 run down the second-half stretch. McConnell credited his offensive flair to his talks with Bennett and Samhan after he failed to score in the Gaels' loss at Gonzaga earlier this season.

"I tried to be aggressive from the get-go, and luckily the shots went in," said McConnell, who jumped over press row to hug his parents before accepting the tournament MVP award. "I got a couple of open looks I wouldn't normally get."

Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett has been chasing the Gonzaga powerhouse for nearly a decade, establishing a recruiting pipeline to Australia and generally trying anything to become the closest thing to a rival for Gonzaga. When he finally caught the Bulldogs, even for a game, Bennett couldn't believe it just yet.

"It hasn't really set in," Bennett said. "It's not like we've done this a whole bunch of times. I was excited with about a minute left because, hey, we're getting this one done."

Saint Mary's lost 83-58 to Gonzaga in last year's tournament title game in Las Vegas, and subsequently were denied an at-large NCAA berth. But even after losing stars Patty Mills and Diamon Simpson from last year's 28-7 team, these Gaels rebounded from two decisive regular-season losses to the Zags with a landmark victory in school history.

"It's hard to get to this position, and this group was finally able to knock the door down," Bennett said. "It feels great to beat the best team. It makes it a little more special for us."

Steven Gray scored 16 points and Matt Bouldin added 14 for Gonzaga, which had won nine of the last 11 WCC tournaments. Elias Harris managed just eight points on 3 of 13 shooting, and the Bulldogs couldn't match Saint Mary's second-half rally.

Gonzaga likely is still headed back to the NCAAs, but it won't get the WCC's automatic bid for just the third time in 12 years.

"They did lots of penetrating and hitting the 3s," Gray said. "We were getting caught off screens. It hurts to see them [celebrate]. There's so many things you wish you could change."

The win was redemption for a string of entertaining teams led by Bennett and dotted with Australians. They've included high-scoring point guard Mills, who failed in his attempt to jump to the NBA this year, and current players Allen, Page and Matthew Dellavedova, who had seven points and six assists.

"We knew we were in for a tough game," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. "They were hungry and desperate, with an NCAA tournament bid on the line. We didn't do a good job moving the basketball, and Saint Mary's stepped up and just made shot after shot."

While Gonzaga's thousands of traveling fans drowned out the smaller Bay Area contingent before the game, Saint Mary's made an outstanding start. McConnell hit a high-arching 3-pointer from well behind the NBA line to put the Gaels up 12-7 early, and they never trailed in the half while taking 10 more shots than Gonzaga and making just two turnovers.

After Demetri Goodson put the Zags ahead on the first possession of the second half, Saint Mary's moved back ahead 46-40 on McConnell's layup with 12:05 left, and Samhan didn't end up hurting the Gaels when he got a technical foul on the next possession for shoving Robert Sacre out of his way.

"Sacre was talking a lot before the game," Samhan said with a grin. "But we won."

vcarter706

UCLA is having one of the their worst seasons since the pre-Wooden days. Thus.... basketball is dead to me  :cool:
Меня зовут Тристан. У меня есть кошка.

U$C Sucks. Go Bruins!

derspiess

crazy canuck

I havent seen as many games as I would have liked this year.  However, because of an odd channel (Peach TV) out of Georgia that I get with my current satellite provider I have been able to see a lot of Georgia and Kentucky.

I saw that Duke killed NC which warmed my heart but the last time I say Duke - early in the year - they didnt look like they had the horsepower to beat a good highschool team.

I am going to do really poorly in tournament pools this year.

derspiess

The Cincinnati-Louisville game is boring me :mellow:

edit: sure enough, 5 minutes after I typed that, it got interesting.

Berkut

As the Wildcat Turns.

Great article - I really like the job Ted Miller does covering the Pac-10.

In 1985, Arizona's basketball team, which had gone 4-24 two seasons before, played in the NCAA basketball tournament. The 10th-seeded Wildcats and coach Robert Olson lost in the first round to Alabama.

It was hardly a moment of sporting gravity. It's unlikely anyone had an inkling then of what lay ahead.

The Wildcats and Olson, sometimes known as "Lute," would go on to find a bit of success. There was Olson's first Pac-10 title in 1986, the first of 11 he'd win. And four Final Fours. And a 1997 national title.

Through the years in Tucson, fans understood two things: 1. It was going to be hot in the summer; 2. The Wildcats would earn an NCAA tournament berth.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/champweek2010/news/story?id=4981679

I think Arizona has as good a shot as anyone in the conference who isn't Cal to win the conference tournament. However, they could just lose to UCLA in the first round. Or get creamed again by Cal in the second round. Or lose to ASU again in the third round.

They are all elimination games from here out. What a great story for the Cats to extend the streak by wining the conference tournament though...

0 rows returned

Berkut

Some people on a Wildcats board I read are all "Dude, Ted Miller is Teh Stupid! He doesn't even know that nobody calls Olson 'Robert'!!!"

Christ, people are fucking stupid.

0 rows returned

Savonarola

Damn

QuoteTurner sinks Wolverines at buzzer
FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

INDIANAPOLIS — Evan Turner drained a 37-footer at the buzzer to give No. 5 Ohio State a 69-68 win over Michigan today in the Big Ten tournament quarterfinals.

Turner took the inbounds pass, dribbled upcourt and pulled up barely past halfcourt. The Big Ten player of the year left his arm in the air after the release, confident the long shot would fall.

His attempt was so close to the buzzer that the play was reviewed. When officials signaled the shot was good, the red-clad section of the crowd erupted.

"I felt like I was in a gym by myself," he said.

Turner finished with 18 points and eight assists for the Buckeyes (25-7), who advanced to play the winner between Illinois and No. 13 Wisconsin.

Michigan's Manny Harris hit a jumper from 11 feet with 2.2 seconds left to give Michigan a 68-66 lead. Harris led the Wolverines (15-17) with 26 points, Michigan's Manny Harris hit a jumper from 11 feet with 2.2 seconds left to give Michigan a 68-66 lead. Harris led the Wolverines (15-17) with 26 points, and his big performance made the final result all the more disappointing for the Wolverines.

"It definitely hurt," Harris said. "They had two seconds, a lot of time to shoot and score, and that's what Evan Turner did."

Michigan began the season ranked 15th, but Friday's game was representative of the season for Wolverines.

"That's a great catch phrase, microcosm of the season," U-M coach John Beilein said. "That's a little bit of the frustration that we have this year. Some things that you can't always control happen to you. It's certainly indicative of some things that happened."

Turner shot only 2 for 9 in the second half after going 4 for 6 in the first 20 minutes. David Lighty and William Buford each scored 15 points for Ohio State. Stu Douglass and DeShawn Sims each had 16 points for Michigan.

The Buckeyes led 39-29 early in the second half before back-to-back 3-pointers by Douglass chopped the Buckeyes' lead to 39-35.

Another three-pointer by Douglass trimmed Ohio State's lead to 42-38, but Ohio State responded with a 9-0 run. A 3-pointer by Turner capped the spurt midway through the second half.

Michigan surged again, and a three-pointer by Harris while fading away from beyond the key cut Ohio State's lead to 59-57, leading to frantic final few minutes.

Oh well, congratulations Brutus and Go State!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

katmai

Fighting garbon U upset the Sun Devils last night.
Which means Udub has a good shot making it to Pac-10 tourny final. They should make the field of 64 even if they lose that game, unless UCLA wins the whole thing (they would have to beat regular season champs Cal and winner of Stanford/ UW)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

I missed GU's mindboggling upset of the Orange because I was at lunch with my sister's familly. :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on March 12, 2010, 04:47:16 PM
Damn

QuoteTurner sinks Wolverines at buzzer
FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

INDIANAPOLIS — Evan Turner drained a 37-footer at the buzzer to give No. 5 Ohio State a 69-68 win over Michigan today in the Big Ten tournament quarterfinals.

Turner took the inbounds pass, dribbled upcourt and pulled up barely past halfcourt. The Big Ten player of the year left his arm in the air after the release, confident the long shot would fall.

His attempt was so close to the buzzer that the play was reviewed. When officials signaled the shot was good, the red-clad section of the crowd erupted.

"I felt like I was in a gym by myself," he said.

Turner finished with 18 points and eight assists for the Buckeyes (25-7), who advanced to play the winner between Illinois and No. 13 Wisconsin.

Michigan's Manny Harris hit a jumper from 11 feet with 2.2 seconds left to give Michigan a 68-66 lead. Harris led the Wolverines (15-17) with 26 points, Michigan's Manny Harris hit a jumper from 11 feet with 2.2 seconds left to give Michigan a 68-66 lead. Harris led the Wolverines (15-17) with 26 points, and his big performance made the final result all the more disappointing for the Wolverines.

"It definitely hurt," Harris said. "They had two seconds, a lot of time to shoot and score, and that's what Evan Turner did."

Michigan began the season ranked 15th, but Friday's game was representative of the season for Wolverines.

"That's a great catch phrase, microcosm of the season," U-M coach John Beilein said. "That's a little bit of the frustration that we have this year. Some things that you can't always control happen to you. It's certainly indicative of some things that happened."

Turner shot only 2 for 9 in the second half after going 4 for 6 in the first 20 minutes. David Lighty and William Buford each scored 15 points for Ohio State. Stu Douglass and DeShawn Sims each had 16 points for Michigan.

The Buckeyes led 39-29 early in the second half before back-to-back 3-pointers by Douglass chopped the Buckeyes' lead to 39-35.

Another three-pointer by Douglass trimmed Ohio State's lead to 42-38, but Ohio State responded with a 9-0 run. A 3-pointer by Turner capped the spurt midway through the second half.

Michigan surged again, and a three-pointer by Harris while fading away from beyond the key cut Ohio State's lead to 59-57, leading to frantic final few minutes.

Oh well, congratulations Brutus and Go State!

Hilarious game to watch, and I didn't even have a dog in the hunt.

Plus:

http://deadspin.com/5492163/let-us-now-savor-the-bitter-tears-of-michigan-fans
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive