News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The "Birth of Babylon 5"

Started by grumbler, March 27, 2009, 05:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2009, 09:18:03 AM
That's my recollection of it as well.  IMO, the first half of season 5 is even worse than season 1, simply because season 1 at least sets you up for the later drama.
Disagree, by and large.  It is true that the Byron arc was way too long, and that The View from the Gallery was probably the worst-acted episode (even beyond the Grail pale), but there were some pretty decent episodes in there as well.  The worst half-dozen Season 1 eps were worse than the worst half-dozen Season 5 eps, I would say.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on June 02, 2009, 09:22:53 AM
The answer is B5 relaunch novels.
Not gonna happen, for a long time, at least.  JMS is busy doing much more lucrative things, and everyone knows how badly the books he was uninvolved in sucked.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2009, 09:25:28 AM
Not gonna happen, for a long time, at least.  JMS is busy doing much more lucrative things, and everyone knows how badly the books he was uninvolved in sucked.
The Psi-Corps trilogy was great.  I don't know if he was involved or not, though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2009, 09:31:17 AM
The Psi-Corps trilogy was great.  I don't know if he was involved or not, though.
He wrote the outlines for all three trilogies and for To Dream in the City of Sorrows, and the background for The Shadow Within.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Hey kids, I just finished watching B5 again up to the end of Season 4, shich does have a nice ending point of sorts.

I'm equivocating on buying Season 5 though at full price.  It's been 10+ years since I saw it.  I seem to remember the last episode was great, the storyline with Londo falling under Shadow control was decent, and a lot of boring shite with Garibaldi on Mars and a telepath storyline that didn't go anywhere.

Any thoughts?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

I don't think you're going to miss much if you don't watch season 5.  The series effectively petered out creatively at season 4, except for maybe some minor subplots like Garibaldi losing the plot.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2009, 05:22:29 PM
Hey kids, I just finished watching B5 again up to the end of Season 4, shich does have a nice ending point of sorts.

I'm equivocating on buying Season 5 though at full price.  It's been 10+ years since I saw it.  I seem to remember the last episode was great, the storyline with Londo falling under Shadow control was decent, and a lot of boring shite with Garibaldi on Mars and a telepath storyline that didn't go anywhere.

Any thoughts?
Garibaldi on Mars is in Season 4.  In Season 5 he falls off the wagon in a fairly pedestrian series of episodes (which unhappily coincide with the telepath arc, which is itself tiresomely long).  Season 5 gets good again towards the end (the Centauri Prime arc) and then settles for a couple of goodbye eps and the finale.  I'd rate it above season 1 but well below the other seasons.  Still, there are about 8 very good episodes out of 22, and only about 4 really bad ones (including two real stinkers).  I'd say give it a shot if you find it on sale but don't pay full retail for it.

Bayraktar!

Alcibiades

Still haven't gotten around to season 5  :blush:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain