News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The "Birth of Babylon 5"

Started by grumbler, March 27, 2009, 05:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Delirium on March 27, 2009, 06:19:18 PM
Those weren't obvious hints, I never noticed them. Ivanova had a sort of fling with a male character.
Talia and Ivanova slept together.  The sex was not shown, but it was there, and JMS has confirmed it (as well as having Ivanova admit it to Delenn).

Pretty much everythong he conceived eventually made it into the story.  Even the drug user bit (Franklin and stims).  garibaldi is an alcoholic.  The rise of fascism.  The phrases "No one [here] is exactly [whom] they seem" and "stubborn nobility."

It is interesting to see what happens when characters serve a purpose, and not the other way around.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2009, 05:59:58 PM
-Londo as a drug addict?
He was a drunk, both at the beginning and in the end.  Garibaldi is also an alcoholic, and Franklin was a drug addict.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

I miss that show.  Nothing ever came close to it in terms of story telling.  Well, close to it was DS9.  But far from equal.

JMS is God.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Michael_Straczynski
A partial chronological list of Straczynski's other television credits:

* He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - Staff Writer; specifically writing 8 episodes
    * She-Ra: Princess of Power - Staff Writer
    * Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors - Staff Writer, specifically writing 11-14 episodes
    * The Real Ghostbusters - Story Editor; writer of 21 episodes and one Special
    * Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future - Executive Story Editor; writer of 13 episodes
    * The New Twilight Zone - Story Editor; writer of 11 episodes
    * Jake and the Fatman - Executive Story Editor; writer of 5 episodes
    * Murder, She Wrote - Co-Producer; writer of 7 episodes
    * Walker Texas Ranger - Supervising Producer; writer of 1 episode (left show to do B5)[13].

I really liked his work on the Ghostbusters series as a kid (and hated the Slimer & The Ghostbusters run of the show). And I was rather surprised to see his name in the opening titles when I caught a re-run of He-Man a while back.

Also, I enjoyed Captain Power a fair bit as a kid.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on March 28, 2009, 12:53:54 PM
I miss that show.  Nothing ever came close to it in terms of story telling.  Well, close to it was DS9.  But far from equal.

JMS is God.
I agree, JMS greatly improved upon the DS9 concept.  However, I do find that the show loses its magic after a number of repeats.

I Killed Kenny

I saw Babylon5 ages ago.

If I want to re-visit what should I know? (Fillers etc)

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on March 28, 2009, 01:31:33 PM
I agree, JMS greatly improved upon the DS9 concept. 
you sir, are trolling.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on March 28, 2009, 02:20:31 PM
I saw Babylon5 ages ago.

http://www.ntua.gr/lurk/

fuck, most of that site is down :(

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on March 28, 2009, 04:58:00 PM
Quote from: I Killed Kenny on March 28, 2009, 02:20:31 PM
I saw Babylon5 ages ago.

http://www.ntua.gr/lurk/

fuck, most of that site is down :(
http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html is the current home of the Lurker's Guide.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alcibiades

Tried Pm'ing you grumbler.  What is the exact order I should watch the movies in to keep continuity?    Deep into the second season at the moment..
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

viper37

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Just caught the pilot on Hulu. Interesting show, looking forward to seeing more.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Alcibiades

Yeah I'm in the middle of the second season... The war has made it a lot more interesting.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 23, 2009, 10:46:16 PM
Just caught the pilot on Hulu. Interesting show, looking forward to seeing more.
You liked the pilot?  I didn't!  :lol:  It is almost certainly the worst episode of the series, between the cartboard sets and wooden acting.  The show is much better in season one, and then much better again in seasons 2-5.  The movie "In the Beginning" was intended as a kinda replacement for the pilot.

Bayraktar!