Poland introduces chemical castration for sex offenders

Started by Syt, October 22, 2009, 02:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

DW: Poland introduces chemical castration for sex offenders

QuotePolish lawmakers have approved controversial legislation aimed at minimizing the risk of repeat offenses by convicted pedophiles.

Poland's upper house of parliament overwhelmingly passed a bill on Thursday that makes chemical castration mandatory for convicted paedophiles after their release from prison.

The former Polish justice minister Włodzimierz Cimoszewicz, who was the only lawmaker to abstain from the vote, warned during the parliamentary debate that a therapy forced upon a patient may infringe human rights.

A representative of the justice ministry countered that the envisaged chemical castration only dampened the sexual drive of offenders for a limited period and did not erase it for good.

The new legislation, which was already approved by the lower house last week, comes in the wake of a drastic case of rape incest in Poland which was reminiscent of the crimes of Austria's Josef Fritzl.

Widespread support for new law

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk had called for stricter punishment for sex offenders after a serious case of incestuous rape came to light in September. In that case, a 45-year old man was charged with repeatedly raping his daughter who subsequently bore him two children.

"I want ... to introduce in Poland the most rigorous law possible regarding criminals who rape children," Tusk had said, announcing the measures at the time.

Seven hundred cases of paedophilia are reported to police in Poland each year, according to Polish justice officials.

Surveys show that most Poles favor the new bill, but human rights groups are threathening legal action, saying that the law is not only open to abuse but also likely to be ineffective in tackling sex crimes.

European Parliament members have also critized the bill, but at the same time they said that the bloc's authority in this case was limited, since criminal law was a matter for the individual member states.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ape

Starting to sound like Mooslem laws..... will the Poles starting to cut people hands when they steal as well?

Stupid.

DGuller

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2009, 02:23:50 PM
LOL Poland never ceases to amaze me.

California, Iowa, Florida, and Louisiana all have some form of mandatory chemical castration for sex offenders, and Georgia, Texas, Montana, and Wisconsin have some sort of potentially non-mandatory option: http://www.jaapl.org/cgi/reprint/31/4/502.pdf

Ed Anger

LOL, I just heard this on a podcast!

<insert long winded attack>
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on October 22, 2009, 02:29:51 PM
California, Iowa, Florida, and Louisiana all have some form of mandatory chemical castration for sex offenders, and Georgia, Texas, Montana, and Wisconsin have some sort of potentially non-mandatory option: http://www.jaapl.org/cgi/reprint/31/4/502.pdf

Wow some of you people are really dense you know that?  I was obviously sarcastically mocking Marty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Syt

That in the background the guy who played David (Darlene's boyfriend) on Rosanne?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 22, 2009, 02:39:04 PM
Sucks big green donkey balls.

You, sir, are worse than a version of Hitler with very poor taste in TV shows.