Don't go naked in your own home--you might get arrested.

Started by MadImmortalMan, October 21, 2009, 04:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2009, 12:02:15 PM
Right - so we don't really know. We don't even know if the path was on his property.
We don't even know if there was a "path."

QuoteI imagine it depends. However, the fact that the path is there suggests that it is reasonable to presume that people will be walking along it, and it is entirely possible that people walk along it every single morning.
What difference does that make?  Are you seriously arguing that the fact that people routinely walked on this property means that the man has sacrificed his right to presume privacy?

QuoteAgain, this isn't necessarily true, but it does mitigate against the "This is obviously ridiculous!" response.
What argues against the "this is obviously ridiculous" response is that a number of people would have to be involved for the case to get to this position.  It could still be ridiculous, but it was never "obviously" so.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

It's the woman who reported the nudity who is stupid, not the Country. The dude may be stupid, but that isn't the issue. What a rational person would do after seeing naked coffee guy is cover the child's eyes (or not) and leave. not gawk long enough to get offended somehow. Waste of taxpayer money the police doing anything other than telling this woman to stop being such  busybody.

:bleeding:
:p

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2009, 12:06:01 PM
I love the fact that in America you can legally kill people who trespass on your property, but heavens forbid they see you naked.

Fucked up country.  :lol:
I love that a self-proclaimed lawyer would claim that " in America you can legally kill people who trespass on your property!"

Fucked up post.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 22, 2009, 12:12:23 PM
It's the woman who reported the nudity who is stupid, not the Country. The dude may be stupid, but that isn't the issue. What a rational person would do after seeing naked coffee guy is cover the child's eyes (or not) and leave. not gawk long enough to get offended somehow. Waste of taxpayer money the police doing anything other than telling this woman to stop being such  busybody.

:bleeding:

:yes:

Once I am made the Dictator for life, people like her will be crucified or thrown off the Tarpeian Rock.

Martinus

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2009, 12:11:36 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2009, 12:02:15 PM
Right - so we don't really know. We don't even know if the path was on his property.
We don't even know if there was a "path."

Nope, we do not - but if there is one, it certainly changes things a bit.

QuoteI imagine it depends. However, the fact that the path is there suggests that it is reasonable to presume that people will be walking along it, and it is entirely possible that people walk along it every single morning.
What difference does that make?  Are you seriously arguing that the fact that people routinely walked on this property means that the man has sacrificed his right to presume privacy?

Actually, yes. If people routinely walk on your property with your permission (and presumably they would not be doing so without it), then yes, it does seem reasonable to presume that you won't be going out of your way to parade around in the buff, within reason.

Obviously the case is going to come down to whether there is reason to believe that his being seen naked was his intent, or simply an accident. If it is an accident, the case goes nowhere, I imagine.

I don't think being on your own property gives you 100% freedom to walk around naked and flash the neighbors kids out the doorway.

My house faces onto a cul-de-sac where there are almost always a bunch of kids playing. Do I have a right to privacy that includes me parading around in my garage with the door open nude?

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

It's the woman who reported the nudity who is stupid, not the Country. The dude may be stupid, but that isn't the issue. What a rational person would do after seeing naked coffee guy is cover the child's eyes (or not) and leave.

She can do that AND call the cops though, if naked Coffee Man is clearly trying to flash her and her child under the cover of being on his personal property.

And we don't know - the fact that he was charged suggests that there is something more here than her catching an accidental look of him in the buff. If in fact that is all it was, than I agree with you.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2009, 12:06:01 PM
I love the fact that in America you can legally kill people who trespass on your property, but heavens forbid they see you naked.

Fucked up country.  :lol:

Yeah it is awesome if somebody breaks into my house in Poland I have to then respect their right to leave peacefully with my stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2009, 12:18:26 PM
It's the woman who reported the nudity who is stupid, not the Country. The dude may be stupid, but that isn't the issue. What a rational person would do after seeing naked coffee guy is cover the child's eyes (or not) and leave.

She can do that AND call the cops though, if naked Coffee Man is clearly trying to flash her and her child under the cover of being on his personal property.

And we don't know - the fact that he was charged suggests that there is something more here than her catching an accidental look of him in the buff. If in fact that is all it was, than I agree with you.

well the OP doesn't say he was doing more than making coffee. sure if he was flashing sure. but does every flasher get national media coverage? maybe he was adding kittens to his brew of satanic coffee?

also though even if he flashed her. She was cutting across his lawn. she shouldn't be such a fricking whiny nelly. He's just a naked guy. Did he threaten her somehow other than being naked. (this is what's wrong with the modern world. her puritanical mindset (and it isn't just Americans I'm talking about) is an example of how something as simple as nakedness is somehow abhorrent.

What she would have done if she was a reasonable person, is, walk away. If he was flashing her, etc... she should have given him the finger and made sure she gossiped to all the neighbors about him.

Berkut

We don't know that she was cutting across his lawn.

And I can assure you that if one of my neighbors flashes my kids, I will call the cops. I don't think I am all the puritanical, but if some perv is flashing kids, then it is likely that is only the beginning of his sexual issues with children, not the end.

0 rows returned

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2009, 12:33:31 PM

And I can assure you that if one of my neighbors flashes my kids, I will call the cops. I don't think I am all the puritanical, but if some perv is flashing kids, then it is likely that is only the beginning of his sexual issues with children, not the end.

Well I missed the kid part *and I agree if it wasn't accidental (he was flashing the kid) I guess but see the rest of that sentence:

QuoteChannel 5 reports the woman and 7-year-old boy who saw him naked apparently had cut through Williamson's front yard from a nearby path.

usually people have a lawn in their front yard. maybe she was standing in his koi pond?

Berkut

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 22, 2009, 12:44:05 PM

Well I missed the kid part *and I agree if it wasn't accidental (he was flashing the kid) I guess but see the rest of that sentence:

QuoteChannel 5 reports the woman and 7-year-old boy who saw him naked apparently had cut through Williamson's front yard from a nearby path.

usually people have a lawn in their front yard. maybe she was standing in his koi pond?

well, the reporting is a bit spotty, and since the story is driven by the "outrage" of the Marty types, I am not really sure what the deal is.

However, if you are hanging out naked in your carport where anyone from the front of your house can see you, you are probably not thinking too clearly.

He should drink his coffee before deciding whether or not hanging out naked when the schoolkids are going by is  a good idea.

0 rows returned

Valmy

If he in fact flashed the kids, well, that is totally different.  His story seems to be he totally innocently was walking around his house in the morning and the kid happened to spot him.

I don't think anybody is saying flashing kids is a good thing Berkut.  If they can prove that was what he was doing then he will pay the consequences.

I do sort of like the whole: assume hardcore pedophilia first, ask questions later approach though.  I guess pedophiles are super common that every naked man should be presumed to be one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2009, 12:55:51 PM

I don't think anybody is saying flashing kids is a good thing Berkut.  If they can prove that was what he was doing then he will pay the consequences.

Of course - my point is just that everyone going all "OMG! This is crazy!" are off base.

Granted, it would be crazy if he was just in his house naked, and there was no reason for him to think a kid would be around.

But since he was charged, that suggests that either:

1. Everyone involved, from the parent to the cops, are all ridiculously sensitive, or
2. There is more to the story, and some reason to suspect that this was not what he has claimed.

I think #2 seems a bit more likely than #1. It is also very plausible that the woman is a spaz who is blowing something innocent out of proportion, and the cops found her story credible enough to charge, but is won't go anywhere.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2009, 12:16:18 PM
Would you really need to be reminded?  :lol:

No, but I couldn't resist the imagery of you reminding me to smack you upside the head.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.