Started by viper37, October 21, 2009, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: katmai on October 25, 2009, 09:53:18 PM

ATM?

:shifty:

Oh when i have $3k to drop for a nice editing mac rig i will
[/quote]

I think, given that kind of budget, none of us who mess with media editing would sneeze at a Mac Pro, especially since they upped the minimum core speed to 3.06 GHz. :P
Experience bij!

Alatriste

Oh, great, Windows 7 does hide file extensions. How many OSs will take for Microsoft to learn that hiding file extensions has led to countless infections and worse still, is absolutely useless?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Alatriste

Even greater. It seems that even if you change that option to show extensions, some executable files (the old .PIF) will still hide their true colors!

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001678.html

derspiess

Quote from: Alatriste on October 26, 2009, 03:17:31 AM
Oh, great, Windows 7 does hide file extensions. How many OSs will take for Microsoft to learn that hiding file extensions has led to countless infections and worse still, is absolutely useless?

That's stupid.  What was the reasoning behind that-- did they think file extensions would confuse inexperienced users or something?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: derspiess on October 26, 2009, 02:18:59 PM

That's stupid.  What was the reasoning behind that-- did they think file extensions would confuse inexperienced users or something?
Probably.  Probably true too. 
PDH!

derspiess

Got my Amazon pre-order in today, so I ran an upgrade install on my home theater PC.  Only issue with that so far is that I needed to upgrade my version of Skype.  On the first bootup, Win7 saw that I had a printer in the Home group & all I needed to do is give confirmation that I wanted to add it-- no other effort on my part.

I realized this evening that this PC's processor is 64-bit, but I only have 2GB of RAM in it right now, so I just did the straight upgrade to 32-bit Win7. 

What do you guys think-- would I tend to get any improvement in system performance if I added another 2GB of RAM & installed 64-bit Win7?  I would I need to go to 6 or 8GB to see any improvement?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Alatriste

Quote from: derspiess on October 26, 2009, 02:18:59 PM

Users would still have that nice color icon _and_ the extension, they would have to be deeply retarded to get confused. Further, Windows only hides extensions for a list of recognized types. For example, pdf files do show their extension.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 25, 2009, 09:11:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2009, 10:37:15 PM
I'll wait a while on Windows 7 till there's some reviews and the first bugs get shaken out but will likely switch over.

Have you been under a rock for the past year?

Well yeah...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on October 28, 2009, 12:40:39 AM
Got my Amazon pre-order in today, so I ran an upgrade install on my home theater PC.  Only issue with that so far is that I needed to upgrade my version of Skype.  On the first bootup, Win7 saw that I had a printer in the Home group & all I needed to do is give confirmation that I wanted to add it-- no other effort on my part.

I realized this evening that this PC's processor is 64-bit, but I only have 2GB of RAM in it right now, so I just did the straight upgrade to 32-bit Win7. 

What do you guys think-- would I tend to get any improvement in system performance if I added another 2GB of RAM & installed 64-bit Win7?  I would I need to go to 6 or 8GB to see any improvement?

On paper, 32-bit requires 2 GB and 64-bit only requires 3 GB, so you'd come out ahead, but considering more and more basic programs are becoming more and more bloated, and considering how inexpensive RAM is nowadays, I'd push for 6 or 8 before making the switch.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 28, 2009, 07:17:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 28, 2009, 12:40:39 AM

On paper, 32-bit requires 2 GB and 64-bit only requires 3 GB, so you'd come out ahead, but considering more and more basic programs are becoming more and more bloated, and considering how inexpensive RAM is nowadays, I'd push for 6 or 8 before making the switch.

Cool.  I'll have to check to see how much RAM that cheapo motherboard supports.  Might be stuck with 32-bit no matter what I want to do.

I Killed Kenny

Win 7 is probably the best OS I have had (I started with 95)

Barrister

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on October 28, 2009, 03:36:37 PM
Win 7 is probably the best OS I have had (I started with 95)

Kids these days... :rolleyes:

I started with (and I had to look this up) ProDOS, the OS for the Apple II.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

I went to public school, so I started with computers that had to start with DOS 3.1 floppy.  Beat that.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2009, 05:35:27 PM
I went to public school, so I started with computers that had to start with DOS 3.1 floppy.  Beat that.

TRS-80. 1 computer. Not per classroom.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive