Windows 7 as good as Vista (M$)

Started by viper37, October 21, 2009, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BVN

First PC I had was a Philips MSX. It had a special version of DOS: MSX-DOS

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 28, 2009, 07:17:46 AM
On paper, 32-bit requires 2 GB and 64-bit only requires 3 GB, so you'd come out ahead, but considering more and more basic programs are becoming more and more bloated, and considering how inexpensive RAM is nowadays, I'd push for 6 or 8 before making the switch.

Just checked the mobo's manual, and as it turns out, it only supports up to 2GB of RAM :lol:  I did say it was a cheapo...

I *could* replace the mobo, add RAM, etc., but I'll leave it as is.  It runs at least as good on Win7 as it did Vista, and does what I need it to do.

What I may end up eventually doing is "retiring" that box from frontline service & installing Windows Home Server on it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2009, 08:54:22 AM
Gone is the classic Control Panel, replaced that horrible thing used under Vista by default.  Hate that.

What happens when you click on "All Control Panel Items" ?

Edit:  Another way people are saying is if you change it to one of the icon views?  :huh: 

They should have just left the option on the left like in Vista.

Grey Fox

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 29, 2009, 01:49:09 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2009, 08:54:22 AM
Gone is the classic Control Panel, replaced that horrible thing used under Vista by default.  Hate that.

What happens when you click on "All Control Panel Items" ?

I haven't seen that as an option anywhere.

It's not exactly Vista's Control Panel either, it's better. I hate that I can't use the classic one but it's much better then Vista's or XP's control panels.

Oh Small Icons, yeah, I guess that's the closer we'll get.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2009, 01:53:23 PM
I haven't seen that as an option anywhere.

It's not exactly Vista's Control Panel either, it's better. I hate that I can't use the classic one but it's much better then Vista's or XP's control panels.

Click on the little arrow to the right of "Control Panel" in the address bar.  Might be in there.

Edit: Although since you're saying it's good, it's probably just something we'll ("we" being people who don't like the non classic look) get used to and eventually like.

viper37

Yeah, I need time to get used to it, I suppose.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Before I upgraded, I had ~70 gigs free on the HD. After the upgrade, 80. And now after using it for a week, 2 more gigs freed themselves.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2009, 06:21:04 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2009, 05:35:27 PM
I went to public school, so I started with computers that had to start with DOS 3.1 floppy.  Beat that.

That's the same era as ProDOS, which also had to boot off of a 5.25" floppy.

Pfft, floppies.

Tape drive FTW.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2009, 10:20:23 AM
Tape drive FTW.

Yeah, that was pure goodness.  Nothing like waiting 30 minutes for Zaxxon to load on my Atari computer, only to see it error out right at the end.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2009, 12:23:40 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2009, 10:20:23 AM
Tape drive FTW.

Yeah, that was pure goodness.  Nothing like waiting 30 minutes for Zaxxon to load on my Atari computer, only to see it error out right at the end.

Or typing a program into the machine and the fucker wouldn't save to cassette.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

It's only a matter of time before someone brings up punchcards.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 01:44:21 PM

punchcards!

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2009, 12:23:40 PM
I used to go through that with Wasteland on the C64.  I would sit there rocking back and forth in my chair, fingers crossed, chanting "please load please load please load please load" under my breath.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 01:44:21 PM
Pft, punchcards.

Clockwork FTW.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.