Computer Recommendations?

Started by Jaron, October 21, 2009, 03:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Now that I'm working again and reaping mass profits, I'm thinking of replacing my broke ass pc once a couple minor debts of mine are cleared. :)

I want a pc that is capable of playing games so I can play all the games I'm missing out on while i'm on a lap top! I do not want a Mac.

I am thinking of ordering a Dell , as my last pc was a Dell and I was pretty happy with it..

I would not like to spend more than 1500.00. That is my soft limit, I'd only go higher out of necessity. I'm looking for performance, flexibility and durability. Building my own pc is not an option, I'm not tech savvy like that.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

They just refreshed the iMac.  You can get a very nice one that will play all your games (through bootcamp) for $1500. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2009, 01:13:00 PM
They just refreshed the iMac.  You can get a very nice one that will play all your games (through bootcamp) for $1500.

Quote from: JaronI do not want a Mac.

Barrister

He may not want a Mac, but he needs a Mac. :contract:

MadBurgerMaker

:lol:

Oh content:  Jaron, if you were happy with your last Dell, get another one of those.  Just glancing at the Dell website, there's something called a Studio XPS 9000 that looks okay. 

vOv http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/desktop-studio-xps-9000/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-studio-xps-9000&s=dhs&cs=19&ref=dthp

Looks like that one for $1299 comes with a monitor, so if you don't need that, look at one of the ones without that, and put in a bunch of extra options or something.  Case looks kinda goofy imo, but then again, it looks better than that Alienware shit.  Looks like you can add in 2GB more memory and stick a GTS 240 into that $1299 one, and the price comes out to $1479.

DGuller

The problem with Dell custom build is that you get it deep in your colon when you add a good video card.  The mark-up is just ridiculous.  However, if you don't add a good video card, you probably won't have enough space in the unit to add one yourself later on.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2009, 03:27:00 PM
Why, now that's a bargain in this day & age :lol:
:lol: :yes:

Beeb, try building a PC sometime and get back to us re: cost vs. specs/quality.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on October 21, 2009, 03:27:59 PM

Beeb, try building a PC sometime and get back to us re: cost vs. specs/quality.  :cool:

I removed my post when I re-read Jaron's post & saw his $1500.00 price limit  :blush:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

First, what happened to derspeiss's post?  :huh:

Second, $1500 was Jaron's price-point, not mine.  :contract:

Third, do we really need to have this debate AGAIN?  Look: Apple has a fairly small product line-up.  It's offerings are very price competitive when comparing apples to apples (for the iMac, that means comparing it to similarily specced All-in-One computers).  But yes, given the form factor you can buy a tower computer for less than an all-in-one like the iMac.

Caliga

Ok, I'm sorry, I misunderstood.  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2009, 03:30:38 PM

I removed my post when I re-read Jaron's post & saw his $1500.00 price limit  :blush:

:smarty:

derspiess

Macs are still overpriced & gay-looking.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

So...

I'm considering an iMac... :unsure:

How are macs on durability, that is - longevity?

Will it be unable to play some games?

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Jaron on October 21, 2009, 07:38:27 PM
So...

You wouldn't be toying with me would you Jaron?  You wouldn't play with my emotions now would you?   :cry:

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2009, 08:11:16 PM
Quote from: Jaron on October 21, 2009, 07:38:27 PM
So...

You wouldn't be toying with me would you Jaron?  You wouldn't play with my emotions now would you?   :cry:

Oh, I think it'd be fucking brilliant if Jaronisimo became a Mac owner.