Computer Recommendations?

Started by Jaron, October 21, 2009, 03:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So J-dawg, hardware reliability is hard to measure.  Nobody keeps stats on the actual rate of failure between various computing devices.  So what does wind up getting measured is various customer satisfaction surveys, rates of complaints, that kind of thing.

On all those measures, Apple is either #1 or close to it.

Here's a basic google search for you to likely confirm that:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=pc+vs+mac+reliability&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

But of course you will find someone out there for every computer manufacturer that has had a bad experience.  Apple is included in that.

As for games:

WoW works great on a Mac.  Of recent games Sims 3 and Spore came out in Mac versions.

However most games do NOT come out for Mac.

Since Mac moved over to Intel 3-4 years ago Apple came out with Bootcamp - you can dual-boot your computer into Windows (You have to buy your own copy of Windows however to do this).  My mac is set up this way.  I can play any Windows game by rebooting into XP, then playing as normal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

I saw the number of replies to this thread and I was all :w00t:

Then I saw it was like 7 posts of BBs mac pimping and I was :rolleyes:

Then I actually went and looked at the mac site.

And now I am..

:mmm:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

IF you can spend $1700 you can get the ginormous 27" iMac... :wub:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Its something I'm going to have to wait for and save some money up for, but I can see what Jaron's gift to Jaron is going to be this year for Christmas. :wub:

Jaron

I'm quite excited about this prospect, but Tamas is trying hard to talk me out of it. He says its overpriced and the praise of the Apple system is just fed by fanbois and not based on reality.

However

My very limited research has been very positive.

I am thinking I'll try a mac out this time.  I'm going to just tuck some money away until december or so. :)

Any other tips?

I don't like Dell and I think companies like Alienware charge more for the visual than the substantial.

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on October 22, 2009, 04:41:23 AM
I don't like Dell and I think companies like Alienware charge more for the visual than the substantial.
:yes: *NEVER* buy Alienware unless you enjoy flushing money down the toilet.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Jman, if you think your family doesn't like you now, Wait until you own a gay computer!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jaron

Alatriste

Quote from: Caliga on October 22, 2009, 05:51:51 AM
:yes: *NEVER* buy Alienware unless you enjoy flushing money down the toilet.

Well, that certainly sounds enjoyable, but it has got to be sinful somehow.

J., I would expect until someone checks Boot Camp works with Windows 7. But I'm sure we will know that soon, certainly before Christmas.

Tamas

Dude from 1700$ you can buy a PC which blows anything away and you wouldn't have to tackle compatibility issues and shit.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I'm quite excited about this prospect, but Tamas is trying hard to talk me out of it. He says its overpriced and the praise of the Apple system is just fed by fanbois and not based on reality.

However

My very limited research has been very positive.

I am thinking I'll try a mac out this time.  I'm going to just tuck some money away until december or so. :)

Any other tips?

Remember to include the price of Windows 7 in your specs.  You don't need OS X but you need Windows.

I think that if you are buying a computer out of the box, it only makes sense to keep Macintosh computers in mind.  It may not win out in cost-effectiveness for you in the end (I think that Macs seldom win out on that basis except for those using its graphics, video, or musical capabilities), but it certainly shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.  Just remember to factor in the cost of Windows, and the fact that software will be about 10-20% more expensive (Acrobat 9 Pro at $395 MSRP for Mac, $368 for Windows, for example).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Anti-Mac spiel aside, there's pros and cons to both; PCs break down more but when Macs die, they crash spectacularly.  Part of the price point is that Mac comes bundled with easier-to-use, higher-power applications (GarageBand versus Sound Recorder, for example).  You're less likely to have to worry constantly about viruses or malware because of differences in architecture, but on the other hand, programs would usually come out cheaper for Windows much sooner than they come out for Mac.

Oh, and a quick note- if you do a lot of typing, the aluminum Mac keyboards are much easier on the hands- when I was working for a local phonebook, I updated my iMac with one of the newer keyboards and kept it to use for my PC after I gave the iMac back to the company.
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: JaronI do not want a Mac.

Quote from: JaronI am thinking of ordering a Dell , as my last pc was a Dell and I was pretty happy with it..

Quote from: JaronI am thinking I'll try a mac out this time.

Quote from: JaronI don't like Dell

:lol:

Quote from: DontSayBananaOh, and a quick note- if you do a lot of typing, the aluminum Mac keyboards are much easier on the hands- when I was working for a local phonebook, I updated my iMac with one of the newer keyboards and kept it to use for my PC after I gave the iMac back to the company.

Yeah those keyboards are nice.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Jaron on October 22, 2009, 04:41:23 AMI think companies like Alienware charge more for the visual than the substantial.

Good thing you're going with Apple