LANGUISH CRYSTAL BALL: Will Caliga's county vote to repeal alcohol prohibition?

Started by Caliga, October 20, 2009, 12:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well?

Yes.
8 (25%)
No.
14 (43.8%)
They will vote Jaron Imperator for Life instead.
10 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Caliga

Tonight is the big vote! :w00t:

Here's hoping my county wakes up and realizes it is post-1933.

On a related note, there is a de-segregation vote next year. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Trigg County, Kentucky just repealed prohibition two weeks or so ago, in like a 51/49% decision (IIRC the issue was decided by 36 votes).  OMG RECOUNT

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2009, 12:38:00 PM
One step at a time. You may want to hide your Darwin books, though.
I just went ahead and burned those in advance prior to moving here.  :Embarrass:

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2009, 12:44:51 PM
LOL America.
They had this public forum thingy the other night that I missed, but must have been HIGH-LARIOUS.  Of note was the tirade by a preacher that the Bah-bull teaches that alcohol consumption is sinful.  Funny but I don't recall the story about Jesus turning water into wine ending with Jesus then yelling at people for drinking the wine he just made.  :huh:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 12:48:53 PM
LOL America.
They had this public forum thingy the other night that I missed, but must have been HIGH-LARIOUS.  Of note was the tirade by a preacher that the Bah-bull teaches that alcohol consumption is sinful.  Funny but I don't recall the story about Jesus turning water into wine ending with Jesus then yelling at people for drinking the wine he just made.  :huh:

It was the very first miracle FFS.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

ulmont

Of note was the tirade by a preacher that the Bah-bull teaches that alcohol consumption is sinful.  Funny but I don't recall the story about Jesus turning water into wine ending with Jesus then yelling at people for drinking the wine he just made.  :huh:

Proverbs ("wine is a mocker," "[wine] biteth like a serpent and stingeth like an adder") has some mean things to say about drinking.  Of course, Psalms has the "wine that maketh glad the heart of man . . . ."

Caliga

Baptists have this insane theory (as articulated to me by my mother-in-law) that the "wine" in the Bible is really grape juice.  Remember that, while Baptists do conduct Communion like other Protestants, they drink grape juice instead of wine.  The explanation she repeated to me made no sense, especially given my brewing experience... I couldn't even tell you the details--my eyes kind of glazed over while she was trying to articulate it and I probably just smiled politely and nodded.

Martinus

LOL America.
I was more perplexed by the desegregation vote. WTF?

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2009, 12:53:27 PM
LOL America.
I was more perplexed by the desegregation vote. WTF?

Not all countries had the chance to kill off their undesirable minorities you know.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 12:53:27 PM
Baptists have this insane theory (as articulated to me by my mother-in-law) that the "wine" in the Bible is really grape juice.  Remember that, while Baptists do conduct Communion like other Protestants, they drink grape juice instead of wine.  The explanation she repeated to me made no sense, especially given my brewing experience... I couldn't even tell you the details--my eyes kind of glazed over while she was trying to articulate it and I probably just smiled politely and nodded.

LOL I heard that. It is fucking stupid. In the Biblical Mediterranean anyone relying on the grape juice would die of diarrhea within weeks. Beer and wine were so popular because they were capable of killing the most harmful and widespread bacteriae.

Stuff like this really makes one go WTF.

Edit: And shame on you, considering your historical interest in the Roman times. Why on earth you didn't tell the bitch she is fucking stupid?