LANGUISH CRYSTAL BALL: Will Caliga's county vote to repeal alcohol prohibition?

Started by Caliga, October 20, 2009, 12:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well?

Yes.
8 (25%)
No.
14 (43.8%)
They will vote Jaron Imperator for Life instead.
10 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Berkut

What I find amazing (and I guess this will come as no surprise to anyone) is not the crazy fundies thik it amtters whether their fake blood is wine or grape juice, but that people cannot get the basic idea that their religious beliefs make shitty laws!

If you think drinking alcohol is the work of the devil, then why can't you just not drink any? Why is it so hard to understand the idea that just because something is against your religion, basic respect for individual freedom would demand that your religious rules should not be pushed onto others?

This is a (another) prime example of my contention that most people only give token acknowledgment to the the concept of individual freedom. Very few people seem capable of making the distinction between what they think people should do, and what they think the state should force people to do (or not do).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2009, 01:19:56 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 20, 2009, 01:13:15 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2009, 12:44:51 PM
LOL America.

Being from California this stuff seems crazy to me too.  I can't believe there is still prohibition in places.  And in some states even if they can sell alcohol they can't do it in supermarkets.   :blink:

I didn't notice at first (because I don't smoke), but while in Germany cigarettes are sold in supermarkets, in Austria you have to go to the so called "Tabak Trafik", or tobacco shop to buy them. Mostly those are small places where you can also play the lottery and buy papers and magazines. Kinda similar to not selling licquor at supermarkets in parts of the U.S.

Ein bischen wie Frankreich. Gut, sehr gut! :frog: :thumbsup:

Except those places are also cafés/bar and have sometimes longer opening hours than supermarkets, though. 

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2009, 02:36:06 PM
Texas has surprisingly populist laws (try being a landlord here, the law is totally in favor of the tenant...they have more votes after all) and even libertarian in alot of things except for one bizarre quirk where you cannot sell liqour (as opposed to beer, wine, and beer and winelike things) in supermarkets and convenient stores and you cannot sell liqour anywhere after 2 am.  It is so bizarre and arbitrary.

I don't really care about shutting everything down at 2am, but what has always irritated me is that they stop selling booze (at the booze store, of course) at 9, and beer/wine (from the grocery/convenience store) at 12 or 1, while the bars stay open the extra hour or two or five.  Why don't they just stop selling it everywhere at 2?

Caliga

Well, I did my civic duty and voted.  :cool:

The cool thing was that, since my precinct is the closest one to Louisville (and the highways), all these news trucks were there to cover the referendum.  Alot of hot chick cub reporters :perv:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Here's an article on the vote: http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/whas11-localbus-091019-wet-dry.2321030a0.html

If you watch the attached news video clip you will get to hear the Kentucky accent in all its glory.  Whee. :alberta:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 05:58:49 PM

If you watch the attached news video clip you will get to hear the Kentucky accent in all its glory.  Whee. :alberta:

Dammit, I was hoping for a hot chicks attached to those accents. I guess I'll just have to think back to my cute Kentucky-bred nurses back in '06.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

:w00t:

Not only did 'yes' win, but preliminary count indicates it was a landslide!

TAKE THAT BAPTIST DOUCHEBAGS  :menace:

Caliga

P.S. There's a plot of land for sale right across from the local Baptist church.  Maybe I'll buy it and put up a liquor store there.  A DRIVE THRU liquor store.  Muhahaahah!

Monoriu

When I was a little kid, I used to think that the USA is the "land of the free" and all that.  "Dry counties" is one of the things that convinced me otherwise  :P

BTW Hong Kongers, on average, drink a lot less, and we don't have much restriction on sales of alcoholic beverages.  Apart from no selling to people under 18 and no drink driving. 

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on October 20, 2009, 08:29:02 PM
BTW Hong Kongers, on average, drink a lot less, and we don't have much restriction on sales of alcoholic beverages.  Apart from no selling to people under 18 and no drink driving.
I drive a Martini.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 07:21:28 PM
P.S. There's a plot of land for sale right across from the local Baptist church.  Maybe I'll buy it and put up a liquor store there.  A DRIVE THRU liquor store.  Muhahaahah!

Your store: Up in flames
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

DontSayBanana

Congrats on receiving the ability to buy liquor.  My condolences when your county starts experiencing all the political nonsense that goes on with issuing local liquor licenses.
Experience bij!

Caliga

Kentucky's statewide liquor control board rations liquor licenses at the county and municipal level.  As such, due to the low population of our county, they will not award us any licenses to open a bar.  That doesn't bother me so much because only kids and losers go to bars, but it's still mildly annoying in that if the people in the county want to build one, they should have one.

What the change allows for is this: a total of 8 venues (again based on population) which can serve alcohol.  Restaurants can only serve alcohol if they will derive the majority of their profits from food and will not be able to serve cocktails or hard liquor, only beer and wine.  Also, included in that total of 8 could be liquor stores, which can sell any sort of alcohol.

But yes, given the small number of licenses that will be offered I'm sure there will be plenty of scandal re: the graft that will determine who gets what. :D

KRonn

Quote from: Monoriu on October 20, 2009, 08:29:02 PM
When I was a little kid, I used to think that the USA is the "land of the free" and all that.  "Dry counties" is one of the things that convinced me otherwise  :P

Localities (cities, towns, counties,etc) can still decide on their local laws and ordinances. Those can also be challenged in court, so I'd say that the system still works pretty well.

We have a few dry towns in my area. I used to find that odd but don't really care either way.