News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Space Colonization: Fact or Fantasy?

Started by Strix, October 20, 2009, 11:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 20, 2009, 09:37:43 PM
I am confident humanity will settle the stars. 
Why are you so confident?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

I want to believe? Humanity is making great strides on technology? There is a spiritual need for a new frontier?

You can count on empires to expand themselves? Stuff.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 20, 2009, 09:51:33 PM
I want to believe? Humanity is making great strides on technology? There is a spiritual need for a new frontier?
Humanity isn't really making great strides in technology.  I'm afraid it's just wishful thinking on your part.
QuoteYou can count on empires to expand themselves? Stuff.
There's plenty of room to expand on the Earth.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on October 20, 2009, 09:39:20 PM
Maybe we can finally find a place for all you high school dropout, bigoted secessionists, huh?
:huh: He's in college right now, dude.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2009, 03:55:36 PM
probably, except I wouldn't have murdered anyone first.
:lol:

What was that character's name again?  Frank something... anyway he was awesome.  I wanted to reach into the pages of the book and strangle that crazy Japanese hippy bitch.  :mad:

KRonn

It took centuries and better technology for colonization to happen across uncharted oceans. Also mercantile purposes, to make money, along with stable enough nations to undertake the travel and expense. If colonization of other planets is to happen there will have to be an increase in technology to enable the travel and existing on distant planets, and being more cost effective. Right now it's hard to see how colonization could really happen, but as technology advances we don't yet know what it may bring as regards space travel. But I feel certain that we will be traveling in space, with some kinds of settlements. We aren't going to just sit still on Earth in future centuries.

Ed Anger

Maybe we can finally find a place for all you high school dropout, bigoted secessionists, huh?

Been done in Pournelle's Codominium series of stories.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 21, 2009, 08:05:51 AM

Yes. 
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 21, 2009, 08:05:51 AM

I liked the motie one.  The others were kinda meh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2009, 08:42:25 AM
The Mote books count?  I thought the books he wrote with Niven don't.

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on October 21, 2009, 07:05:22 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2009, 03:55:36 PM
probably, except I wouldn't have murdered anyone first.
:lol:

What was that character's name again?  Frank something... anyway he was awesome.  I wanted to reach into the pages of the book and strangle that crazy Japanese hippy bitch.  :mad:

Frank Chalmers.

And yeah, Hiroko was a bit too annoying to take seriously.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Oh right!  I remember now because he came across as a gruff jerk so in my head he was Supernintendo Chalmers.  :lol:

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on October 21, 2009, 08:48:35 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2009, 08:42:25 AM
The Mote books count?  I thought the books he wrote with Niven don't.
All in the same universe so they count.  end of story. book closed.  case opened and then burned liek any good Detroit pol.
PDH!

Caliga