Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2009, 03:32:41 PM
Red Mars!
Would you be the guy shouting "Go, idiot, go!" before being killed by an avalanche? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

I'm sure there's plenty of huddled asses who would love to build a new life somewhere over there.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Faeelin on October 20, 2009, 02:43:20 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2009, 12:05:14 PM
Yes. They'd need to be economically viable at the very least. Something like an asteroid or offworld mining operation maybe. Or an orbital power generation station.

Again, why do you need people there?

need doesn't come into it. Being an option is enough for people to try it at some point.
simply because humans doing it > machines doing it.

The Brain

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 20, 2009, 03:54:03 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 20, 2009, 02:43:20 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2009, 12:05:14 PM
Yes. They'd need to be economically viable at the very least. Something like an asteroid or offworld mining operation maybe. Or an orbital power generation station.

Again, why do you need people there?
simply because humans doing it > machines doing it.

I see you haven't had Ide perform oral on you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 03:33:49 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2009, 03:32:41 PM
Red Mars!
Would you be the guy shouting "Go, idiot, go!" before being killed by an avalanche? :)

probably, except I wouldn't have murdered anyone first.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2009, 02:49:34 PM
If space travel is so expensive that trade is not feasible, then neither is colonization.

:huh:
The mortality rate of the initial colonizers of the new world was, by modern standards, prohibitively lethal.  Of course, here we are, aren't we? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Faeelin

Quote from: Queequeg on October 20, 2009, 04:25:52 PM

The mortality rate of the initial colonizers of the new world was, by modern standards, prohibitively lethal.  Of course, here we are, aren't we?

Sure, because it was still profitable.

HVC

Quote from: Faeelin on October 20, 2009, 04:27:06 PM

Sure, because it was still profitable.
and plenty of people were dying in the homeland, so it wasn't like a huge issue. I mean, if we sent out a colony and 50% percent of them died, everyone in the west would bitch and it would be decades before they tried again, if not longer.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: HVC on October 20, 2009, 05:01:05 PMI mean, if we sent out a colony and 50% percent of them died, everyone in the west would bitch and it would be decades before they tried again, if not longer.

That's why future colonies will only be inhabited by Space Chinks

Josquius

I'd be very surprised if that happens with space colonisation.
All our moon base tech will be tested to within a inch of its life before it leaves the atmosphere and all sorts of redundancies will be put in place. A few colonists dying accidentally would be a unforseen disaster.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2009, 02:49:34 PM
If space travel is so expensive that trade is not feasible, then neither is colonization.

:huh:
We are somewhat more risk averse than our ancestors, as you should well know.  Moreover, we are also not willing to accept the expense of doing great things, and nobody can make us do otherwise.  Like the ancient Athenians, we have become convinced that the purpose of government is to serve the citizenry, and are unwilling to give money or service to the state.  Like it did them, it'll destroy the West.

I think that part of it was the tendency of ancient peoples to anthropomorphize the universe.  The universe could be counted on to look after them, or at least be placated.  Today, we know that the universe doesn't care, and will erase us without prejudice.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

I am confident humanity will settle the stars. 

What I dont see in my lifetime, but hope for in my grandchildren's, is settlement as a private enterprise. Start a dissenter colony somewhere, that sort of thing.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Queequeg

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 20, 2009, 09:37:43 PM
I am confident humanity will settle the stars.
Maybe we can finally find a place for all you high school dropout, bigoted secessionists, huh?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Lettow77

I wouldent know about 'us' high school dropouts, queequeg, but yes, wouldnt it be nice?

The majority of League of the South members have a college degree :mellow:
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'