Exact Number of Alternate Universes = 10^10^16 - How many zeros is that?

Started by MadImmortalMan, October 19, 2009, 05:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2009, 07:01:42 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 19, 2009, 06:49:17 PM

You can't judge me, only Neil can judge me. :contract:

I judge everybody, and you have been found lacking.

Especially in the bone marrow department.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2009, 05:33:40 PM
So...this is every particle there has ever been moving in every conceievable way it could have moved through all time and every combination thereupon?
Cool if they've actually calculated that :blink:
I mean...even a single particle throughout history could have created a number of universes infinite to our understanding let alone that infinity times another infinity if we're counting two particles....and so on.
Heavens no.

I'd be interested in reading more.  Myself, I've always preferred the four-dimensional branes floating in five-dimensional space cosmology.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on October 19, 2009, 06:58:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 19, 2009, 06:49:17 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2009, 06:46:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 19, 2009, 06:45:54 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2009, 06:42:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 19, 2009, 06:33:51 PM
Wicked awesome.

My favorite alternate universe so far is this one.

www.amazon.com/Britannias-Fist-Civil.../dp/1574888234

You suck.
Shockingly, I disagree. :smarty:

Your opinion was overruled as hearsay.

My original ruling stands. You suck.

You can't judge me, only Neil can judge me. :contract:

I consider 67th Tiger's opinion on the issue of "Britannia's Fist" as more valid than yours.

He may know his dreadnaughts, but he knows fuck all about the Civil War. I mean for god sakes, he insists that McClellan was the greatest Union general of the War.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

DREADNOUGHT.  The word is dreadnought.  The Dreadnaught was a tugboat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 19, 2009, 07:54:24 PM
He may know his dreadnaughts, but he knows fuck all about the Civil War. I mean for god sakes, he insists that McClellan was the greatest Union general of the War.

As he probably wanted the North to lose, there is nothing inconsistent with that opinion.

FunkMonk

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 19, 2009, 09:35:27 PM
Which universe are dreadnoughts still prevalent in?

Rather, in which universe are dreadnoughts still prevalent?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 20, 2009, 07:24:44 AM
1000000000000000 Zeros

it's a one followed ten thousand trillion zeroes

I personally disagree, I think it is a 1 followed by ten thousand trillion -1 zeroes followed by a 2. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Agelastus on October 19, 2009, 05:57:59 PM
It does sound a bit extreme when you put it that way.  :blink:

As a layman, I don't see how that is possible.

I also doubt it. As it was pointed out, for the theory to be true, every single change, even at a particle/photon level would lead to a new alternate universe, and so on...

Most people believe this nonsense because they only think about Human history, say: "Caesar not murdered in 44 b.C. - History changes" and accept it, but alternative universes would be far, far, far more than that, every change in anything would change everything, and this would happen during every microsecond for billions of years.

In other words, not even a hundred zillion trillion billion zeroes after the 1 would suffice to number them. Not even by a longshot.