News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

IGN's Top 100 NES games

Started by Syt, October 18, 2009, 01:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Hey does anybody remember a game where they would periodically have all the bad guys turn into skinny cats and it meant death pretty quick? Had an Asian theme iirc.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Camerus

Another write-in:  RBI Baseball 2

Vince

Yet another write-in:  Defender of the Crown.  The first strategy game I ever owned.    :cool:

Seen

Quote from: Vince on October 20, 2009, 09:12:26 AM
Yet another write-in:  Defender of the Crown.  The first strategy game I ever owned.    :cool:
A yes that should be in there. Rest of the list (of what I know) looks good :)

Drakken

Quote from: PRC on October 19, 2009, 04:56:48 PM
Lot of classics on there.  River City Ransom is one of my all time favourites, what a fun fun game.  Crystalis and Faxandu were both super good rpgs as well.  One missing from this list is the Wizardry release on NES, I played the crap out of that game.

Also lots of Sunsoft games on the list... those guys made some killer games, hard as heck to beat as well.

It may be niche but the Koei games were also awesome, i'm surprised by the lack of them on this list.

Agreed. At least Nobunaga's Ambition should be there.

Josquius

*shrug*
I missed the 8 bit era.
I didn't get consoles until Sonic came out. Though my friend had a master system.
Spectrum all the way.

Thinking of what I've played on emulators though....best NES games-
Pirates
Manic Mansion
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

What was the baseball game where you had super powers?  Like super pitches and stuff?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on October 20, 2009, 07:28:11 AM
Go play a man's game. :rolleyes:

Stop holding out on me J, I know you know which game I mean.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Camerus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2009, 06:39:27 PM
What was the baseball game where you had super powers?  Like super pitches and stuff?

Baseball Simulator 1.000.   But I only ever played the SNES version.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

Quote from: garbon on October 20, 2009, 08:25:03 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 20, 2009, 04:14:16 AM
Super Mario 2 doesn't belong.

:yes:

I never got the point of that one.

It's because we North Americans got assraped by Nintendo, once more. For reasons unknown the Jappos got to play the real SMB2 (known here as The Lost Levels) while we got another game, Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Pani, reprogrammed into a Mario Bros game and sold to gullible kids as a sequel.

Only the Power Glove ranks lower, because it's so bad. That, and the putrified piece of garbage Nintendo made of Metal Gear for the North American NES, while Kojima's original version kicked ass. Kojima himself said, using other words, that in all the NES version sucked. :mad:

Drakken

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 20, 2009, 03:40:23 AM
Nobunaga's Ambition II should be there as well.   :wub:

I agree, if only because Yoko Kanno's music, especially Toki no Shirabe, is superb even in NES midi version. I have it on one of my soundtracks (plus the whole soundtrack of SNES' Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness, which is dementially good) but it can be listened on Youtube as well.

When your game's soundtrack is composed by a worldwide composer like Yoko Kanno, your game's bound to be on a best's list.

Sophie Scholl

Games I loved that didn't make the cut:  The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor, Milon's Secret Castle, Silent Service, North & South, Adventure Island, and Pool of Radiance.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 20, 2009, 07:14:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2009, 06:39:27 PM

Baseball Simulator 1.000.   But I only ever played the SNES version.

Nah that wasn't it.  It had all these egg headed characters you put on your team.  I remember there was a witch named Zelda who used a broom for a bat.  In the out field some of the characters could jump up and float to catch the ball.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017