Main Menu

IGN's Top 100 NES games

Started by Syt, October 18, 2009, 01:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2009, 02:30:36 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 18, 2009, 01:41:53 PM
8. Dragon Warrior

Man I played the shit out of that game.  Good times.

A slime approaches.

Command?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

I Killed Kenny

So many good memories...

I don't remember how many times I finished bionic command

PRC

Lot of classics on there.  River City Ransom is one of my all time favourites, what a fun fun game.  Crystalis and Faxandu were both super good rpgs as well.  One missing from this list is the Wizardry release on NES, I played the crap out of that game.

Also lots of Sunsoft games on the list... those guys made some killer games, hard as heck to beat as well.

It may be niche but the Koei games were also awesome, i'm surprised by the lack of them on this list.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 18, 2009, 10:15:35 PM
I never played the NES. The SNES was where it was at. :thumbsup:

What? Heresy!

You kids with your loud music and your Dan Fogelberg, your Zima, hula hoops...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Yeah the NES and, regrettably, the X-Box were the only consoles I ever owned.  The NES provided me with endless hours of entertainment.  The X-Box was a miserable piece of garbage that broke down at the drop of a controller.

Never again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Any list without L'Empreur is illegitimate.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Some are kinda iffy.  Like Battletoads and teenage mutant ninja turtles.  Both were very disapointing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2009, 06:26:21 PM

At a glance, none of the original Koei line is on there.  The list blows.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote25. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

Really?  That game totally blew.  It was the only Castlevania game I played when I was a kid and I thought it was so lame I didn't play any of the others...only to find out years later that I and III were awesome and it was only II that sucked.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2009, 06:26:21 PM

I have that on an NES emu on my cellphone. The KOEI games are the only ones I can play to some extent with the touchscreen controls. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Camerus

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2009, 07:08:24 PM
Quote25. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

Really?  That game totally blew. 

QFT

Camerus

Nobunaga's Ambition II should be there as well.   :wub:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Super Mario 2 was great.

I really enjoyed most of the KOEI games. Genghis Khan I played for hours as a kid. Sometimes I'd even play all four at once. Once, I even had the four conquer the map in equal parts and then just passed on turns and wrote down family trees for them all. :nerd: I finally got bored in 1380 or something. :P

Genghis Khan II on the snes was a joke. Too cartoony, too much catering to the graphics crowd.

I could never get into the Asia games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Nobunagas Ambition. Just don't care about China or Japan. A game like those placed in France or Italy would have been awesome.

"Lord Medici, please enter orders." :wub:

In this era of insane graphics and WoW, its hard to believe how much hype simple games like Super Mario Brothers 3 used to generate.
Winner of THE grumbler point.