News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brewing Beer

Started by Scipio, October 17, 2009, 08:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

My friend and I brewed 5 gals. of IPA today, in our first experiment.  We accidentally overchilled the wort by about 10 degrees.  Hopefully, the yeast will make it okay.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Quote from: Scipio on October 17, 2009, 08:22:40 PM
My friend and I brewed 5 gals. of IPA today, in our first experiment.  We accidentally overchilled the wort by about 10 degrees.  Hopefully, the yeast will make it okay.
:cool:

btw IPA is practically the one beer I won't brew since I don't like that much hops.  Prefer little to no hops flavor.  :bowler:

Yeast will grow in wort that is only slightly above freezing, so don't worry.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

Quote from: Caliga on October 17, 2009, 08:35:53 PM
Quote from: Scipio on October 17, 2009, 08:22:40 PM
:cool:

btw IPA is practically the one beer I won't brew since I don't like that much hops.  Prefer little to no hops flavor.  :bowler:

Yeast will grow in wort that is only slightly above freezing, so don't worry.
Yeah, I wasn't counting on it cooling so quickly.  In four minutes in an icewater bath, the wort dropped 60 degrees.  And people are bitching about it taking 20 minutes.  WTF?
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Caliga

Damn, this really makes me want to get down to My Old Kentucky Homebrew.  Maybe I'll go tomorrow.  :cool:

Yeah, alot of homebrew guys are obsessed with wort cooling extremely quickly, to the point that they make these wort chiller contraptions to facilitate it.

Scipio

Quote from: Caliga on October 17, 2009, 08:41:04 PM
Damn, this really makes me want to get down to My Old Kentucky Homebrew.  Maybe I'll go tomorrow.  :cool:

Yeah, alot of homebrew guys are obsessed with wort cooling extremely quickly, to the point that they make these wort chiller contraptions to facilitate it.
I set up an ice bath in my kitchen sink, and then once the wort hit the 145 mark I dumped it over 10 lbs of ice.  Instant 90 degree drop.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Caliga

Quote from: Scipio on October 17, 2009, 08:54:48 PM
I set up an ice bath in my kitchen sink, and then once the wort hit the 145 mark I dumped it over 10 lbs of ice.  Instant 90 degree drop.
The ice bath in the kitchen sink thing is what I've always done as well.

derspiess

My trick was to use chilled spring water (2x 2.5 gallon jugs, minus a little) that I had left in the fridge overnight.  Pour the cold water into the fermenter, then mix in the hot wort.  The equalized temperature of the resulting wort pretty much always fell in the acceptable range.

Whenever I get serious about brewing, I'll buy one of those kickass cooling systems & other equipment.  But I've been saying that for 14 years :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Scipio

We have fermentation.  Fermentation is go.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Josquius

I've always fancied the idea of making my own booze....but the thought of killing myself is offputting.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on October 18, 2009, 04:39:42 PM
I've always fancied the idea of making my own booze....but the thought of killing myself is offputting.

My grandfather brewed beer successfully, so I know a little about it, even though I haven't brewed myself. The risks are minimal, unless you are an idiot.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

Beer tastes awful. Everyone says the taste is acquired, but why acquire a taste that is disgusting?

Winner of THE grumbler point.

ulmont

Quote from: Jaron on October 18, 2009, 07:17:34 PM
Beer tastes awful. Everyone says the taste is acquired, but why acquire a taste that is disgusting?

It's not necessarily acquired.  I went from drinking hard cider to beer as a natural progression, without ever drinking something I didn't enjoy.