News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paper or Ink?

Started by Alatriste, October 16, 2009, 04:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

Yesterday I was playing a bit with Civ IV and suddenly I had an idea: the invention of paper is usually considered a great breakthrough, one of the biggest advances of the Egyptian and Chinese civilizations, but... what about ink?

Even if you have no paper ink is very useful, and you can write with it on other materials than paper. But paper without ink is useful almost exclusively for flying kites... and dull indeed would those kites be without ink!

Viking

Squid or Cuttlefish ink was used for writing before the invention of synthetic ink.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

Quote from: Alatriste on October 16, 2009, 04:46:59 AM
Yesterday I was playing a bit with Civ IV and suddenly I had an idea: the invention of paper is usually considered a great breakthrough, one of the biggest advances of the Egyptian and Chinese civilizations, but... what about ink?

Even if you have no paper ink is very useful, and you can write with it on other materials than paper. But paper without ink is useful almost exclusively for flying kites... and dull indeed would those kites be without ink!

Well, even without ink you can sorta write using paper.  As long as you have a knife, you can sorta cut out different shapes, representing words and such.

Alatriste

Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2009, 04:54:05 AM
Squid or Cuttlefish ink was used for writing before the invention of synthetic ink.

That's not so easy... making ink is quite more complex than catching some squids and squeezing them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink

But anyway my question is: Aren't we wrong when we assign far more importance to the invention of paper? Ink predates paper (a quick Wiki search gives an astounding number of years between ink - 12th century BC - and paper - 2th century CE - both in China) and it's at the very least equally important.

Monoriu

I think paper is the greater limitation of the two.  As you found, ink was invented much earlier than paper.  So paper was the limiting factor that prevented writing on a large scale. 

I also think that there are a great variety of substances that can serve the purpose of ink.  Not so for paper.  As a last resort, you can always write with your blood  :bleeding:

Viking

Quote from: Alatriste on October 16, 2009, 05:39:12 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2009, 04:54:05 AM

That's not so easy... making ink is quite more complex than catching some squids and squeezing them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink

But anyway my question is: Aren't we wrong when we assign far more importance to the invention of paper? Ink predates paper (a quick Wiki search gives an astounding number of years between ink - 12th century BC - and paper - 2th century CE - both in China) and it's at the very least equally important.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Harvest-Squid-Ink/

A medium for writing is probably much older as we see from cave painting. Body, cave and wall art were all coloured and painted on. So Ink equivalents probably predated paper by thousands of years.

But still, squid ink was harvested and used for writing.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Brazen

The Atlanteans used squid ink directly from specially trained squid then passed their arcane knowledge on to our ancestors.

Josquius

There are all sorts of ink substitutes as Mono mentioned.
For how long have people being dying clothes? Eons... And yeah, cave paintings.

Civ is a game, it  goes for the coolness factor. Who cares that apparently mundane invention was actually a big world changer, it just doesn't look so cool as gunpowder or construction (wtf?).
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Pigments for painting or dyeing were probably one of the earliest investions.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Civ IV was probably not meant to inititiate deep historical discussions.

Unlike, say, EU2 :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DontSayBanana

Pigment markings > paper.  Paper made records portable, but pigmentation allowed easier recording in more places.
Experience bij!

Malthus

From a "Civ" perspective, it makes no sense to have "pigments" as a tech, because they certainly predate any organized civilization by a considerable degree.

It would be like having "invent fire" or "stone tools" as a tech.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

While you are inventing "ink", my chariot horde is raping your cities.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

I was talking about from a RL history standpoint, BTW- I've never actually played any of the Civ games.
Experience bij!