Main Menu

Paper or Ink?

Started by Alatriste, October 16, 2009, 04:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2009, 10:24:42 AM
While you are inventing "ink", my chariot horde is raping your cities.

More like, your chariot horde is getting pwned by my pikemen.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

:huh: You do not need ink in order to write.  The Romans were in the habit of writing on wax tablets with a stylus and then rubbing out mistakes/changes when needed.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2009, 12:17:00 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2009, 10:24:42 AM
While you are inventing "ink", my chariot horde is raping your cities.

More like, your chariot horde is getting pwned by my pikemen.  :P

" ... mustered by the mighty power of indentures written in INK!"

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 12:20:22 PM
:huh: You do not need ink in order to write.  The Romans were in the habit of writing on wax tablets with a stylus and then rubbing out mistakes/changes when needed.

That isn't all they did, however. Romans most certainly wrote letters in ink - there was a large find of these, well preserved, up by Hadrian's Wall.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2009, 12:22:09 PM
That isn't all they did, however. Romans most certainly wrote letters in ink - there was a large find of these, well preserved, up by Hadrian's Wall.
Oh, I know.  I think they used the wax tablets as like scratch pads.  But my point is that they still could have been capable of writing had they not had access to ink.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2009, 04:54:05 AM
Squid or Cuttlefish ink was used for writing before the invention of synthetic ink.

I have this image in my head now of Shakespeare holding a squid over his pages and squeezing it in iambic pentameter.
:p

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 12:27:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2009, 12:22:09 PM
Oh, I know.  I think they used the wax tablets as like scratch pads.  But my point is that they still could have been capable of writing had they not had access to ink.

Well, certainly; even earlier, there were clay tablets with writing. Same idea only permanent.  ;)

The earliest use of inks was certainly not for writing BTW, but for body-painting, tatooing and decorating walls (and presumably fabrics).