Louisiana judge denies marriage license to interracial couple

Started by citizen k, October 15, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 12:53:06 PM
Again, I have not combed through Biblical interpretations by southern segregationists, so I do not know where they draw their inspiration from. But I'm not going to rush to say "Ahah, they were wrong, wereas we are clearly right!" given the role of religion in Southern support for racism, from slavery to opposition to interracial marriage.

(And yes, religion also played a role in combating such feelings).

Indeed. Religion tends to be rather pliable in serving the needs of society rather than the other way around.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 01:01:03 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:43:19 PM
What if you give each others blowjobs and handjobs? Bible doesn't ban THAT. :P

Onanism; why the Catholic church is anti-contraceptives.  If the "seed" goes anywhere other than into a vagina, it's considered a sin.

A misunderstanding of the story of Onan. He was blasted for "spilling his seed" not because contraception is always wrong, but because he was deliberately screwing his wife (no pun intended) out of her inheritance by doing this.

Onan's wife was the widow of Onan's brother. Under Hebrew tribal law, she only gets an inheritance from the family if she has a kid - which is why they were forced by the Tribe to get married; any kids they have will be legally considered the children of his dead brother. Onan fucks her but spills the seed on the ground - so that all of the tribal wealth will go to *his* "legal" children; she will get *nothing*. God sees his mean-ness and crisps him like he deserves.

Centuries of the ignorant have interpreted this to mean "no mastrubating". Dead wrong!  :lol:

Edit: the term is "levirate marriage":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levirate_marriage
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2009, 01:05:18 PM
Indeed. Religion tends to be rather pliable in serving the needs of society rather than the other way around.

It does, especially considering the difficulties and (necessary) flexibility of translation from Aramaic and ancient Hebrew to English.  Family history is that one of the NIV translators used to be a dinner guest of my grandparents'- family legend is that he explained one night that several of them were getting fed up and totally disenfranchised because they couldn't be sure exactly what the scripture they were translating said and had serious doubts about basic doctrines coming out of nearby Westminster Seminary.
Experience bij!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2009, 01:10:13 PM

A misunderstanding of the story of Onan. He was blasted for "spilling his seed" not because contraception is always wrong, but because he was deliberately screwing his wife (no pun intended) out of her inheritance by doing this.

Onan's wife was the widow of Onan's brother. Under Hebrew tribal law, she only gets an inheritance from the family if she has a kid - which is why they were forced by the Tribe to get married; any kids they have will be legally considered the children of his dead brother. Onan fucks her but spills the seed on the ground - so that all of the tribal wealth will go to *his* "legal" children; she will get *nothing*. God sees his mean-ness and crisps him like he deserves.

Centuries of the ignorant have interpreted this to mean "no mastrubating". Dead wrong!  :lol:

But what it actually does mean is much worse- no jobs of any kind, anal or condoms :(
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Willfully ignorant.  One of my beefs with the church is how it cherry-picks literal interpretation versus metaphor versus parable.  Anyway, according to you at least, that only takes away one of a great many lightning strikes in store for me. :P
Experience bij!

Malthus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 01:14:29 PM

Willfully ignorant.  One of my beefs with the church is how it cherry-picks literal interpretation versus metaphor versus parable.  Anyway, according to you at least, that only takes away one of a great many lightning strikes in store for me. :P

Depends. Do you have a *hott* sister-in-law without kids, married to a brother with a weak ticker?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on October 16, 2009, 01:12:56 PM
But what it actually does mean is much worse- no jobs of any kind, anal or condoms :(

No, it means "when you are forced to marry your sister in law to give her an heir ... ". It doesn't have any wider application, as far as I can see, on sexual practices at all.

garbon

I think this thread has moved me closer to the "Gays are horrible people" camp.  Also, anyone who says "frottage" deserves a barrage of stones.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2009, 01:28:32 PM
I think this thread has moved me closer to the "Gays are horrible people" camp.  Also, anyone who says "frottage" deserves a barrage of stones.

Now now, this isn't all about the techniques.  :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

I would have thought you'd appreciate the Islamic imagery. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

The main problem with this event is that the couple needed to go to some jerkwad justice of the peace to sanction their marriage in the first place.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2009, 12:55:28 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:31:28 PM
And St. Paul had a thing mainly against effeminate men - but also against various other groups, including drunks, gamblers, and female teachers. I guess that rules out Vegas weddings, among others, too.

You know what's fun?  When some religious nutter woman starts dropping bible stuff on you, start quoting St. Paul.  Get's them everytime.  Who is she to tell a man who he can fuck or not fuck?  It says it right here in I Timothy!

I haven't thought of that. This is like the ultimate Ann Coulter/Sarah Palin rebuke.

I'm surprised so many evangelicals wanted to vote for a woman as a Vice-President. :P

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 01:01:03 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:43:19 PM
What if you give each others blowjobs and handjobs? Bible doesn't ban THAT. :P

Onanism; why the Catholic church is anti-contraceptives.  If the "seed" goes anywhere other than into a vagina, it's considered a sin.

Edit: the term is "levirate marriage":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levirate_marriage

Indeed. It's the same thing as with the sodomites.

It's one thing to base your morality on an interpretation of millennia-old fairy tales of illiterate tribesmen. It's another to base your morality on a clearly wrong interpretation of these, however. :P