Eddie Teach

What funny songs do you like best?

My short list:
Fats Waller- Your Feet's Too Big
Johnny Cash- A Boy Named Sue
David Allen Coe- You Don't Have to Call Me Darling
Bloodhound Gang?- The Bad Touch
Parliament- Dr. Funkenstein
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Nothing by that goddamned Ray Stevens, that's for sure.   :mad:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Savonarola

"Dare to be Stupid" by Weird Al; I find the assumption that his target audience would have a chainsaw in hand hilarious.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Capetan Mihali

Most of the B-52's songs are funny at some level, and I do like pretty much all of their first two albums and some later songs.

So I submit "Rock Lobster."  I know I can count on BarristerBoy for support on this.  :Canuck:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 15, 2009, 05:08:42 PM
Most of the B-52's songs are funny at some level, and I do like pretty much all of their first two albums and some later songs.

So I submit "Rock Lobster."  I know I can count on BarristerBoy for support on this.  :Canuck:

Agreed. They'd get honorable mentions from me, as well as Presidents of the United States of America.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Boy named Sue is a very good suggestion.

I'm a big fan of Tenacious D, and one of my favourites is "Master Exploder" but for greatest effect their songs generally require the video rather than just the song.

Capetan Mihali

Also, I personally think about half of the Ramones catalog qualifes as both great and funny, but of course not really novelty songs.

But "Beat On The Brat," for instance, is pretty funny no matter how you look at it.

PDH

Don't forget the Ramones love song "Chainsaw"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Rock Lobster is not a mere comedy song however - it is a work of sublime genius. :angry:

Devo falls in the same category - some amusing lyrics, but not just a novelty act.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: PDH on October 15, 2009, 05:18:49 PM
Don't forget the Ramones love song "Chainsaw"

Texas chainsaw massa-cree
They took my baby away from me

:D

Savonarola

Gilbert and Sullivan provided some marvelously funny songs; my favorites are Private Willis's song from Iolanthe and Sir Joseph Porter's Song from HMS Pinafore.

Sir Joseph:

I grew so rich that I was sent
By a pocket borough into Parliament.
I always voted at my party's call,
And I never thought of thinking for myself at all.
I thought so little, they rewarded me
By making me the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!

Private Willis:

When in that House M.P.'s divide,
If they've a brain and cerebellum, too,
They've got to leave that brain outside,
And vote just as their leaders tell 'em to.
But then the prospect of a lot
Of dull M. P.'s in close proximity,
All thinking for themselves, is what
No man can face with equanimity.
Then let's rejoice with loud Fal la--Fal la la!
That Nature always does contrive--Fal lal la!
That every boy and every gal
That's born into the world alive
Is either a little Liberal
Or else a little Conservative!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2009, 05:20:59 PM

Rock Lobster is not a mere comedy song however - it is a work of sublime genius. :angry:

Devo falls in the same category - some amusing lyrics, but not just a novelty act.

With all due respect to the agent of the Crown, the post requested "funny" songs, not novelty songs.  I can't think of any purely novelty songs that I really like at all, except some non-funny instrumental songs like "Telstar" (Margaret Thatcher's favorite rock song!  :bowler:) or "The Happy Organ."

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 15, 2009, 05:23:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2009, 05:20:59 PM

With all due respect to the agent of the Crown, the post requested "funny" songs, not novelty songs.  I can't think of any purely novelty songs that I really like at all, except some non-funny instrumental songs like "Telstar" (Margaret Thatcher's favorite rock song!  :bowler:) or "The Happy Organ."

Fair enough.  The OP mentioned a novelty song like "The Bad Touch", but then included geniunely good songs like A Boy Named Sue and Dr. Funkenstein (I don't honestly recognize the other two songs).

I just want to make sure that Rock Loberts gets the attention it is due, is all. :mad:

Edit: Rock Loberts? :blink:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Always look the bright side of life.

I declare this thread ended.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

Moving to Montana Soon

...Gonna be a dental floss tycoon
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers