Immigration Reform not happening under Obama

Started by Faeelin, October 14, 2009, 02:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2009, 04:16:24 PM
If you open up immigration for skilled/educated people who speak English, and you're going to be swamped by Indians.

Cool.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

I don't think US really needs any more immigrants.  All the good ones already came in 1994 or earlier, the new ones are just a drain on society.

Grallon

Quote from: derspiess on October 14, 2009, 04:13:07 PM

Agree.  Keep the lid shut pretty tight on citizenship, though. 

FWIW, I do support more open immigration for skilled/educated people.  I think it's silly that immigration from Europe is so restricted, when they're practically already assimilated.

And who will do the shitty jobs?  Why do you think hordes of third-worlders are allowed in under the guise of humanitarian reasons?  The skilled professionals of Europe or Australia aren't interested in being taxi drivers, or trash collectors, or McDo burger flippers.  So countless africans or asians or south americans or arabs are allowed in since they're used to shit - and american (or canadian) shit is usually preferable to what they had in Yemen or Bangladesh or Burkina Faso.

I think a much better approach would be to target an ideal stable population which you merely have to maintain.  Thus we could use profiling and eliminate the undesirables from the waiting lists.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

DGuller

The "shit work" argument is persuasive if you don't subscribe to that whole "supply and demand" nonsense.

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on October 14, 2009, 04:42:09 PM
And who will do the shitty jobs?  Why do you think hordes of third-worlders are allowed in under the guise of humanitarian reasons?  The skilled professionals of Europe or Australia aren't interested in being taxi drivers, or trash collectors, or McDo burger flippers.  So countless africans or asians or south americans or arabs are allowed in since they're used to shit - and american (or canadian) shit is usually preferable to what they had in Yemen or Bangladesh or Burkina Faso.

I think a much better approach would be to target an ideal stable population which you merely have to maintain.  Thus we could use profiling and eliminate the undesirables from the waiting lists.

Who is "undesireable"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on October 14, 2009, 04:31:05 PM
I don't think US really needs any more immigrants.  All the good ones already came in 1994 or earlier, the new ones are just a drain on society.

:lol: :XD:

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2009, 04:46:40 PM
Quote from: Grallon on October 14, 2009, 04:42:09 PM

Who is "undesireable"?

Can I answer that one? :goodboy:

Queequeg

Quote from: Slargos on October 14, 2009, 03:32:55 PM

A wonderful line of bullshit.

European immigration is what made America great.

Rat can also be used as topping for pizza, but I'm sure you'll agree it won't make it great even if you argue "Meat makes pizza great".
This is one of the most ignorant posts I can remember in recent Languish history.  I'd like for you to look at a list of the Fortune 500 tech companies.  And I'd like for you to look at how many of them have top management from India or China.

And I'd like you to shut the fuck up, you worthless piece of shit.  Take a ride through Silicon Valley; you will find few German or Italian immigrants there. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Slargos

Quote from: Queequeg on October 14, 2009, 05:00:19 PM
Quote from: Slargos on October 14, 2009, 03:32:55 PM

A wonderful line of bullshit.

European immigration is what made America great.

Rat can also be used as topping for pizza, but I'm sure you'll agree it won't make it great even if you argue "Meat makes pizza great".
This is one of the most ignorant posts I can remember in recent Languish history.  I'd like for you to look at a list of the Fortune 500 tech companies.  And I'd like for you to look at how many of them have top management from India or China.

And I'd like you to shut the fuck up, you worthless piece of shit.  Take a ride through Silicon Valley; you will find few German or Italian immigrants there.

Take a chill pill, cock chaser.

I didn't say only Europeans have contributed to modern America, but the US was great long before electronics and rap music.

If generic "immigration" was all it took to make a nation great, South America would be filled with spectacular success stories, and Sweden would be a member of the G20 in a direct capacity.

Queequeg

If you open up immigration for skilled/educated people who speak English, and you're going to be swamped by Indians.
Immigrants with high education make jobs for lower income people in their new country. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on October 14, 2009, 05:08:18 PM

Immigrants with high education make jobs for lower income people in their new country.

I wasn't saying it would be a bad thing, but just that speiss's post seemed to imply he wanted more european immigration.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Quote from: Slargos on October 14, 2009, 05:07:54 PM
Take a chill pill, cock chaser.

I didn't say only Europeans have contributed to modern America, but the US was great long before electronics and rap music.

If generic "immigration" was all it took to make a nation great, South America would be filled with spectacular success stories, and Sweden would be a member of the G20 in a direct capacity.
That is because you are woefully uninformed.  A few things.

1) During Argentina's peak period as a destination if immigrants, it was one of the 10 or so wealthiest countries in the world.  Turning away from that in the Peron period, along with everything else Peron did, fucked it up.
2) We had far more problems assimilating some European immigrants than you do in assimilating Muslim ones.  Look at Haymarket Riot and the campaign of Anarchist bombings, or the Mafia. The German-American, now effectively the backbone of the Mid-West and California, was once a pretty big problem in some American cities, as they came here radical and often became even more radicalized. 

The Minsky Moment

First the bigots said that only English immigrants were acceptable, because only they fit into american culture and had a democratic mentality.

Then the bigots said that Northern European protestants were OK, but not those papist worshipping Catholics or Southern European degenerates.

Then they said the French and Catholic Germans were OK but not the Irish.

Then the Irish were OK but not the Italians.

Then all Western Europeans were OK, but not the Eastern Europeans.

Then all Europeans were OK, as long as they weren't Jewish.

Then the Jews were OK, but no Chinese . . .

And so on.

The thing about being a bigot is bigotry is entirely impervious to logic, evidence, or the experience of being proven dead wrong time and time again.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

citizen k

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 14, 2009, 05:44:51 PM
First the bigots said that only English immigrants were acceptable, because only they fit into american culture and had a democratic mentality.

Then the bigots said that Northern European protestants were OK, but not those papist worshipping Catholics or Southern European degenerates.

Then they said the French and Catholic Germans were OK but not the Irish.

Then the Irish were OK but not the Italians.

Then all Western Europeans were OK, but not the Eastern Europeans.

Then all Europeans were OK, as long as they weren't Jewish.

Maybe we should have stopped there.  :P  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?