News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Was this a bad idea?

Started by Jaron, October 13, 2009, 06:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

So since I graduated I have been unemployed and looking for work. My main problem is that I live in a pretty small county and work is scarce. A month ago a great opportunity headed my way, I interviewed, thought I did well, but I guess someone did better. A couple days ago I noticed the job position had been reposted so I guess someone didn't do so hot or they are expanding the position. So i re applied.

Is it foolish, a waste of time, to re apply to a job you were already turned down for? It isnt like I have a lot of options so I went for it anyways, but REALISTICALLY, did I just waste my time?

Please help me. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

The cost of re-applying is negligible, while the potential benefit is good.  The worst result is you'll waste a few minutes/hours.  The best result is you get a job.  Therefore, you should apply. 

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2009, 06:08:02 AM
The cost of re-applying is negligible, while the potential benefit is good.  The worst result is you'll waste a few minutes/hours.  The best result is you get a job.  Therefore, you should apply. 
Indeed.
You've already got the cover letter done too. Its doubtful they'll remember the CV, just once it gets to the interview they may click but meh.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

"I like the kid's moxy.  He's a real go-getter.  And not afraid to be embarrassed a second time."

Usually, they will call their second choice after the first one failed.  But do it anyway.  You're broke and unemployed. All you have is your dignity, and you don't even need that.

Jaron

Thanks.

I'll just hope for the best.

What really pisses me off is the job "postings" that they have to put up just to say they did it even though they had the job earmarked for someone already.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on October 13, 2009, 06:14:57 AM
What really pisses me off is the job "postings" that they have to put up just to say they did it even though they had the job earmarked for someone already.
Don't get mad at the company for that, get mad at the government.

EEOC FTW! :frusty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Anyway, yes... do reapply.  It's very unlikely to annoy whatever HR person is monitoring the applications.  They understand.  Just don't apply for the job ten times a day or something.

DontSayBanana

What Cal said.  If the position gets reposted and they see your resume again, if they remember it, they're more likely to be surprised that you're following the status of the job and actually seem interested in working there.
Experience bij!

Caliga

Also, I would recommend calling them even if you've applied electronically.

Jaron

Even if they put "Please, no calls" in the ad? :unsure:

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on October 13, 2009, 07:55:38 AM
Even if they put "Please, no calls" in the ad? :unsure:
Hm.... maybe not in that case. -_-