Father, son, rape daughters/sister in Austr ... err ... Italy.

Started by Syt, March 27, 2009, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I'm still obliged to ring my mother, on returning from holiday, on that very principle Malthus.

In her view I am perfectly safe in inner-city Preston, but am at great risk whenever I go and stay in a fancy hotel somewhere nice  :D

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2009, 11:01:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 27, 2009, 10:56:06 AM
Because that doesn't buy votes or fit neatly into the nice worldview of the conservatives. It is much easier to target gay teachers and the like, since they are vulnerable and easily isolated scapegoats.

Do people still say this about gays?  My understanding is the conservatives were concerned that having gays around would 'normalize' homosexuality for kids and would not ensure they properly see it as evil and against nature.  I have not heard the hysterics over gays being pedophiles in a long time.
At least in Poland they do. The conservative government few years ago tried to ban gays from being teachers. They failed (and probably wouldn't have managed to push this through succesfully, as unconstitutional) but the fact that such rhetorics is still preset is there.

I think various Christian fundamentalist groups in the US also bring up a link between homosexuality and pedophilia.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2009, 11:03:38 AM
But on the other hand a friend of mine is gay and was accused of child abuse and damn he was in a really shitty spot since the jury would have been conservative locals who would have wanted to string him up.

Fortunately the kid later admited he made it up.
Yeah. A gay person working in any capacity with kids has always issues like this to deal with. It does not even need to be a situation in which a child accuses the gay dude of molesting - imagine a situation in which a student finds out a teacher is gay (in countries like Poland or rural/conservative America, such a teacher would probably be closeted, at least at work), and begins to flirt with him - no matter how the teacher reacts (i.e. refuses the advances and says nothing; refuses the advances and goes to a principal or to the parents etc.), he is immediately suspect and will probably lose his job, if not face bigger trouble.

It's actually one of the reasons I decided against staying at college and becoming a college tutor. Of course the issue of child molesting wouldn't be there, as most students are adults, but there would still be a lot of room for drama, blackmail and homophobia.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 27, 2009, 03:45:01 PM
I think various Christian fundamentalist groups in the US also bring up a link between homosexuality and pedophilia.

Well some fundies bring up the links between legalizing abortion and the rise in crime...despite the fact there has not been any such rise.

I just do not hear them say it publicly anymore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

szmik

Quote from: Martinus on March 27, 2009, 03:47:53 PM.... he is immediately suspect and will probably lose his job, if not face bigger trouble....

... and you took it out of your ass  :rolleyes:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Cerr

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2009, 03:49:07 PM

Well some fundies bring up the links between legalizing abortion and the rise in crime
The writers of the book Freakonomics argued that legalising abortion was in a large part responsible for the reduction in crime in the 90s.

Neil

To be fair, there's a factual link between homosexuality and pedophilia.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2009, 03:49:07 PM

Well some fundies bring up the links between legalizing abortion and the rise in crime...despite the fact there has not been any such rise.

I just do not hear them say it publicly anymore.
:unsure: I've never heard that before, I have read the opposite though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2009, 11:27:16 AM
Malthus (as he often does) makes an astute observation. :)

Yeah, but it doesn't fit neatly into the nice worldview that Marty has of conservatives.

Drakken

Sheilbh

I think that was Anita Bryant (God's drag queen) in the 70s.  It's not the sort of thing alleged on a regular basis here, or, I think, in the US.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: szmik on March 27, 2009, 04:16:23 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 27, 2009, 03:47:53 PM.... he is immediately suspect and will probably lose his job, if not face bigger trouble....

How many openly gay teachers do you know?

szmik

Quote from: Martinus on March 28, 2009, 06:00:00 AM
Quote from: szmik on March 27, 2009, 04:16:23 PM

How many openly gay teachers do you know?

Just 1 lesbian teacher in secondary school. She had a problem initially, but she didn't give in and they eventually couldn't fire her. Someone else might give up though.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 27, 2009, 09:47:04 PM
:unsure: I've never heard that before, I have read the opposite though.

You have heard that crime has gone down because of legalized abortion?  Pretty sure there is no connection between the two.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."