Started by Viking, October 13, 2009, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2009, 03:43:44 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 14, 2009, 07:19:11 AM
So Jimmy was Magna, eh?  Liberaltard  :mad:

Wait Jimmy is a feminine noun?

Magna is an adjective; "Carter" must be the feminine noun. :smarty:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Pedrito on October 14, 2009, 03:48:55 PM
All your achievements pale in comparison to the invention of the financial bond.

L.

I see your financial bond and raise you Canada's greatest invention: the push-up bra.  :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I think the Alkaline Battery is much more important then the push up bra.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Pedrito

Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2009, 03:52:01 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on October 14, 2009, 03:48:55 PM
All your achievements pale in comparison to the invention of the financial bond.

L.

I see your financial bond and raise you Canada's greatest invention: the push-up bra.  :contract:

In some circles, persons get excited by a bond rather than by a bra.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 14, 2009, 03:52:56 PM
I think the Alkaline Battery is much more important then the push up bra.

I don't.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

The push up bra has killed one of the greatest joys known to man, the visible nipple erection.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 14, 2009, 08:05:44 PM
The push up bra has killed one of the greatest joys known to man, the visible nipple erection.

I must see a lot of women sans push up bra, or it pays to be in cold climate.. :unsure:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sahib

Quote from: Rasputin on October 13, 2009, 06:54:01 AM
Limited Government (although we're giving it back voluntarily).

Most of the ancient and medieval world had "limited government" as well.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on October 14, 2009, 08:32:00 PM
I must see a lot of women sans push up bra, or it pays to be in cold climate.. :unsure:
Alot of chicks around her show nip, probably because very few of them need pushup bras.  Southern diet FTW  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pat

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2009, 03:15:39 PM
Quote from: dps on October 13, 2009, 03:10:39 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 02:48:40 PM
Quote from: dps on October 13, 2009, 02:43:26 PM
I think that they basically just starved out.  The question of when the Norse settlement finally ended in Greenland is an interesting one as well.  Seems like anytime between 1450 and 1690 is possible, with something like 1500-1550 being most likely.
:huh: I thought the Danish crown started searching for the Norse as soon as like 1525 and found only ruins?

Anyway, if there was a final famine that wiped them out, you'd think there would have been more late-period remains found than actually were unearthed.  The suggestion is that they abandoned the settlements rather than died there, but it's unclear why and if they did so voluntarily.

I don't think that there was a "final famine" per se, just gradually deteriorating conditions.  There weren't that many of them to start with.  With a really low population, you don't need a catastrophic event for a settlement to die out.  And while it wouldn't surprise me if some of them went to Iceland or back to Europe, towards the end, I don't think they had the means to leave if they had wanted to.

Archeology has show that there is a progressive change in midden heap composition from cow in the early 1400s to goats and sheep 20 years later and seals and whales after 1450. Not to mention the last recorded ship in 1410.

The marginal farmland experienced the change first and was abandoned first, the best land did it last. It seems to have been a slow decline from about 1000 people to 0 in about 100 years.

No or very little fish.

The "no or very little fish" is interesting - in Jared Diamond's "Collapse" he explains that usually archeologists who come to Greenland can not believe they didn't eat fish, given how the surrounding waters are so full of it, and so they start looking for the fish-bones that have got to be there somewhere. But they never find any. Diamond theorize that they developed a taboo against fish, for some reason.

He does seem to draw a picture of death by final famine - he describes, for example, how the bones of the dogs are found at the top along with the seeds that would have grown next years harvest, which is to say they were eaten only when no hope remained.

Caliga

Don't fish bones decompose alot more quickly that cow/human/dog bones, though?  Also, maybe they ate the bones?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 07:03:53 AM
Quote from: katmai on October 14, 2009, 08:32:00 PM
Alot of chicks around her show nip, probably because very few of them need pushup bras.  Southern diet FTW  :)

Mew
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 07:16:23 AM
Don't fish bones decompose alot more quickly that cow/human/dog bones, though?  Also, maybe they ate the bones?

No.

Fish were taken in iceland and the rest of scandinavia. Diamond speculates that they developed a taboo. But I'm leaning towards the idea that fishing was difficult or inconvenient rather than a taboo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_diet

The Inuit today don't really eat alot of fish. Catching fish under the ice is hard and a low volume means of getting food. Net fishing on european boats in the local fjord is how norsemen caught fish. If you run out of nets or boats you can't fish. If the fjord is icebound half the year then you can't fish during that time.

I find the taboo hard to accept for my own cultural reasons. We've had a taboo on horse flesh and crabs in iceland for religious and cultural reasons. (we now eat crab and lobster and they are delicious). But a taboo on fish? Impossible.

The norsemen were taking seal and whale so they were getting out onto the ice-sheet presumably with boats. So that leaves nets.

This is a marginal society which gets cut off from the homeland and is put under environmental stress. They didn't have ships and if there was something they couldn't make, well, then they didn't have it. The Inuit do not fish with nets. They fish with lines.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Maybe they developed a taste for Greenland shark rather than bony fish.... and maybe cartilage decomposes much more rapidly?  I'm taking shots in the dark here.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 07:47:45 AM
Maybe they developed a taste for Greenland shark rather than bony fish.... and maybe cartilage decomposes much more rapidly?  I'm taking shots in the dark here.

We'd see shark teeth in the middens. But here is a more considered view.

http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/greenland/

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_sharkGreenland sharks as food

The flesh of a Greenland shark is poisonous. This is due to the presence of the toxin trimethylamine oxide, which, upon digestion, breaks down into trimethylamine, producing effects similar to extreme drunkenness. Occasionally, sled dogs that end up eating the flesh are unable to stand up due to the neurotoxins. However, it can be eaten if it is boiled in several changes of water or dried or rotted for some months to produce Kæstur Hákarl, often Hákarl for short. Traditionally this was done by burying the shark in boreal ground, exposing it to several cycles of freezing and thawing. It is considered a delicacy in Iceland and Greenland.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.