"I Got Into the Habbit of Paying for Boys" says French Minister, Still Popular

Started by Queequeg, October 12, 2009, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 03:57:30 PM
The vehement reaction to this guy, from Americans mainly, is exactly because you guys are prudes and because of your internalized homophobia.

By the way, this is adorable.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 12, 2009, 05:09:53 PM
Ministers are hired to do the public business; their honesty and probity are relevant considerations.  A minister who knowingly pays money to sex traffickers and violent pimps in order to satiate his immediate physical needs at best is showing poor judgment.  That is not a person who -- ceteris paribas - I would rush to entrust with significant amounts of public funds.

Well I guess we will have to disagree on that. I fail to see the link you are drawing here.
QuoteAmerica is a very permissive culture in the private sphere, but politicians tend to be held to more exacting standards.  This is not just in relation to sex - other pols have had careers ruined due to things like alchoholism, or membership in discriminatory organizations, or failing to pay taxes on baby-sitters.  Sometimes it gets out of hand and it does have the negative side effect of keeping many sensible people out of public life.  But what it ultimately reflects is not prudity, but deep-rooted suspicion of those who would exercise governmental power.  You continental Europeans still haven't fully shaken off the cultural shackles of autocracy and authoritarianism and hence have difficulty understanding this.  Our downside is having to deal with silly stuff like Monicagate.  Your downside is having one of the largest economies in the EU run by a fatuous felon for nearly a decade (italy).

Again, I fail to see how being more tolerant to our politicians' personal foibles - and thus opening politics for more people, who are not afraid of entering politics because of their political opponents dragging out personal details of their lives - is a symptom of "cultural shackles of autocracy and authoritarianism". This comes especially humorous considering you are talking about France.
QuoteActually I suspect that more women than men are trafficked.
Precisely. Yet a guy using female prostitutes wouldn't probably meet with such a vehement reaction.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 05:17:40 PM
Again, I fail to see how being more tolerant to our politicians' personal foibles - and thus opening politics for more people, who are not afraid of entering politics because of their political opponents dragging out personal details of their lives - is a symptom of "cultural shackles of autocracy and authoritarianism". This comes especially humorous considering you are talking about France.

France is highly deferential to political authority - hence a political system based on an elected dictator.
The French penchant for violent insurrection is the exception that proves the rule.  Because political authority is presumptively legitimate, serious resistance to such authority has a tendency to be channelled toward illegal acts, as opposed to resistance within the system.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:55:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2009, 04:28:19 PM
I just cannot believe there is not something a Pol could do that was legal that would effect your opinion on them.

Well, not in terms of sex, substance abuse or gambling at least.

If he had said he made a habit of going to Mass you'd be up in arms.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 12, 2009, 05:23:06 PM

France is highly deferential to political authority - hence a political system based on an elected dictator.
The French penchant for violent insurrection is the exception that proves the rule.  Because political authority is presumptively legitimate, serious resistance to such authority has a tendency to be channelled toward illegal acts, as opposed to resistance within the system.

This is perhaps true, but I think this would be relevant to the discussion at hand only if the French actually showed less tolerance for "immoral" behavior of their fellow average Frenchmen than they show for their rulers.

I do not know France well enough to answer this with authority but anecdotal evidence suggests this is not the case.

I think you are also overstating the American permissivism (as per your previous post). Take a walk on a beach of the French Riviera and I reckon you will see many more topless women and men wearing speedos than you would see on a Florida beach.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:18:23 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 12, 2009, 04:15:52 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:14:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2009, 04:13:48 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:09:50 PM
I couldn't care less if they are immoral, though.

You have absolutely no standards for that?  There is no level of depravity a public official could stoop to that would cause you to question their ability to make rational decisions based on principle?

Well as long as it is legal, of course.

So you have no problem with public figures who say they hate fags?

Not illegal, right?

Please learn to read my posts. I already answered this before. I know you are just looking for a fight and not want to discuss things, but at least don't play dumber than you really are.

A fight? With you? Nobody is looking for that, nor could you ever provide it.

We just like pointing out how ridiculous you are. It isn't much of a struggle, as this latest inanity shows. As long as it is legal, it is ok! Except for stuff about fags, then it isn't!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

BuddhaRhubarb

LOL good work gents highly entertaining thread. JR/Minsky is the most well spoken on the actual issue.
:p

CountDeMoney

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 12, 2009, 09:19:46 PM
JR/Minsky is the most well spoken on the actual issue.

Sorry, but I win that award, what with calling Martinus a "Faggot non-catching catcher dumbass" and all.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2009, 06:00:10 AM
JR/Minsky is the most well spoken on the actual issue.

Sorry, but I win that award, what with calling Martinus a "Faggot non-catching catcher dumbass" and all.
I thought it was clever.  :hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

LOL good work gents highly entertaining thread. JR/Minsky is the most well spoken on the actual issue.

Well that is hardly fair I cannot compete with him :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Precisely. Yet a guy using female prostitutes wouldn't probably meet with such a vehement reaction.

Again what vehement reaction?  Whose vehement reaction?  Yours I suspect.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Caliga on October 12, 2009, 10:56:03 AM
The guy "stood up to the evil rosbif Yankees" so he will remain popular in France regardless of his actions. :)

Rosbif is for Brits  :contract:

Caliga

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 13, 2009, 09:34:04 AM
I know but I couldn't think of a condescending nickname for Americans.  On a related note, for lunch today: I'm thinkin' Arby's.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 09:44:19 AM
  On a related note, for lunch today: I'm thinkin' Arby's.

Did that fucking hat appear over your head?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 09:44:19 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 13, 2009, 09:34:04 AM
I know but I couldn't think of a condescending nickname for Americans.  On a related note, for lunch today: I'm thinkin' Arby's.

There's ricain, amerloque or états-unien in some circles ;)