"I Got Into the Habbit of Paying for Boys" says French Minister, Still Popular

Started by Queequeg, October 12, 2009, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:14:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2009, 04:13:48 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:09:50 PM
I couldn't care less if they are immoral, though.

You have absolutely no standards for that?  There is no level of depravity a public official could stoop to that would cause you to question their ability to make rational decisions based on principle?

Well as long as it is legal, of course.

So you have no problem with public figures who say they hate fags?

Not illegal, right?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on October 12, 2009, 04:14:39 PM

You have absolutely no standards for that?  There is no level of depravity a public official could stoop to that would cause you to question their ability to make rational decisions based on principle?

He is so full of shit - if they guy had said he cannot stand gays, he would be the first in line demanding that he be forced to resign.

As I said, such views can affect his policies and thus are important. Loving young male cock up his ass or a female intern's lips around his own cock does not, and thus is irrelevant.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:14:04 PM
I couldn't care less if Bill cheated on Hillary either.

Well...that did say something about the sort of President Bill was.  In fact it perfectly reflected it.  However it was nothing we didn't already know beforehand :P

It is not just a question of fucking of course.  Cheating on your wife is a very selfish act of unbelievable disrespect to the person you supposedly love more than any other...unless it is agreed upon beforehand which is totally different.  If he is willing to betray a person he loves, why wouldn't he betray the faceless masses like me?  Of course Bill would absolutely do so if it was expedient but again we already knew that about him when we elected him.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on October 12, 2009, 04:15:52 PM

So you have no problem with public figures who say they hate fags?

Not illegal, right?

Please learn to read my posts. I already answered this before. I know you are just looking for a fight and not want to discuss things, but at least don't play dumber than you really are.

Valmy

So...right and wrong to you is entirely dependent on what the law is?  You have no thoughts or opinions on your own at all?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2009, 04:18:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:14:04 PM
I couldn't care less if Bill cheated on Hillary either.

Well...that did say something about the sort of President Bill was.  In fact it perfectly reflected it.  However it was nothing we didn't already know beforehand :P

It is not just a question of fucking of course.  Cheating on your wife is a very selfish act of unbelievable disrespect to the person you supposedly love more than any other...unless it is agreed upon beforehand which is totally different.  If he is willing to betray a person he loves, why wouldn't he betray the faceless masses like me?  Of course Bill would absolutely do so if it was expedient but again we already knew that about him when we elected him.

I think we already had a discussion about cheating before and we held different views I remember. Essentially, to me there is much more going on than just "this being a selfish act". People - especially in politics, but not only - choose to stay in marriage for lots of reasons that are not healthy or purely love-based, and thus likewise can cheat on each other for many different reasons that are not condemnable. I just think it is very naive and simplistic to view it the way you do.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:20:55 PM
I think we already had a discussion about cheating before and we held different views I remember. Essentially, to me there is much more going on than just "this being a selfish act". People - especially in politics, but not only - choose to stay in marriage for lots of reasons that are not healthy or purely love-based, and thus likewise can cheat on each other for many different reasons that are not condemnable. I just think it is very naive and simplistic to view it the way you do.

I already mentioned that part, naturally in some sort of open marriage it is different.  Naturally each situation needs to be judged on a case by case basis.  You are the one saying it is ok in every case whatsoever which is simplistic as well.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2009, 04:19:19 PM

So...right and wrong to you is entirely dependent on what the law is?  You have no thoughts or opinions on your own at all?

Wow, way to twist my words. I thought we were talking about politicians, not my personal morality.

My point is whether a politician carries himself morally or not has no bearing on his capability to perform his job (and thus me voting for him) unless what he does is either illegal or has a capacity of affecting his policies (e.g. he is a homophobe or a racist in a position where it matters).

To be honest (to preempt Berkut) I couldn't care less either if the chief of the federal reserve is a homophobe - but if a secretary of state or an attorney general is would be important to me.

Whether I would choose to be friends with them etc. is a totally different question which we are not answering here.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2009, 04:23:26 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:20:55 PM

I already mentioned that part, naturally in some sort of open marriage it is different.  Naturally each situation needs to be judged on a case by case basis.  You are the one saying it is ok in every case whatsoever which is simplistic as well.

No, I didn't mean open marriage.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:25:02 PM
Wow, way to twist my words. I thought we were talking about politicians, not my personal morality.

My point is to me whether a politician carries himself morally or not has no bearing on his capability to perform his job (and thus me voting for him) unless what he does is either illegal or has a capacity of affecting his policies (e.g. he is a homophobe or a racist in a position where it matters).

To be honest (to preempt Berkut) I couldn't care less either if the chief of the federal reserve is a homophobe - but if a secretary of state or an attorney general is would be important to me.

Whether I would choose to be friends with them etc. is a totally different question which we are not answering here.

Right I meant on whether or not you decide to support a politician.  I only meant in that particular case.

I just cannot believe there is not something a Pol could do that was legal that would effect your opinion on them.

Valmy

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2009, 04:28:19 PM
I just cannot believe there is not something a Pol could do that was legal that would effect your opinion on them.

Well, not in terms of sex, substance abuse or gambling at least.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 03:57:30 PM
I don't get this line of reasoning, really. Ministers are hired to perform their jobs, not to be moral beacons.  :huh:

Ministers are hired to do the public business; their honesty and probity are relevant considerations.  A minister who knowingly pays money to sex traffickers and violent pimps in order to satiate his immediate physical needs at best is showing poor judgment.  That is not a person who -- ceteris paribas - I would rush to entrust with significant amounts of public funds.

QuoteThe vehement reaction to this guy, from Americans mainly, is exactly because you guys are prudes

America is a very permissive culture in the private sphere, but politicians tend to be held to more exacting standards.  This is not just in relation to sex - other pols have had careers ruined due to things like alchoholism, or membership in discriminatory organizations, or failing to pay taxes on baby-sitters.  Sometimes it gets out of hand and it does have the negative side effect of keeping many sensible people out of public life.  But what it ultimately reflects is not prudity, but deep-rooted suspicion of those who would exercise governmental power.  You continental Europeans still haven't fully shaken off the cultural shackles of autocracy and authoritarianism and hence have difficulty understanding this.  Our downside is having to deal with silly stuff like Monicagate.  Your downside is having one of the largest economies in the EU run by a fatuous felon for nearly a decade (italy).

Quoteand because of your internalized homophobia.

Actually I suspect that more women than men are trafficked.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson