"I Got Into the Habbit of Paying for Boys" says French Minister, Still Popular

Started by Queequeg, October 12, 2009, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 12, 2009, 05:23:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 05:17:40 PM
Again, I fail to see how being more tolerant to our politicians' personal foibles - and thus opening politics for more people, who are not afraid of entering politics because of their political opponents dragging out personal details of their lives - is a symptom of "cultural shackles of autocracy and authoritarianism". This comes especially humorous considering you are talking about France.

France is highly deferential to political authority - hence a political system based on an elected dictator.
The French penchant for violent insurrection is the exception that proves the rule.  Because political authority is presumptively legitimate, serious resistance to such authority has a tendency to be channelled toward illegal acts, as opposed to resistance within the system.

Elected Dictator is Mitterrand-like  :lmfao: :frog:
The French President has less powers than the US President in fact. Only Sarkozy to some extents tries to emulate the US way of governing.

And no, France is not highly deferential of political authority  You must be mixing up Frankreich mit Frankfurt:D

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 13, 2009, 09:58:59 AM
The French President has less powers than the US President in fact.

A simple comparison of constitutional powers illustrates that is not so.  Every power the US president has the French president also has. However, the French president can also dissolve the legislature and appoint the PM; in extremis, he can suspend the Constitution and rule by decree. 

Looking beyond the plain constitutional text, the US is characterized by strong separation powers, with a very powerful legislative branch and a federal judiciary armed with the power of judicial review.  The equivalent French branches are not as powerful.  The US President also controls only federal institutions, and the powers of the federal government are limited both by law and tradition.  The French system lacks a similar check on centralized authority.

QuoteAnd no, France is not highly deferential of political authority  You must be mixing up Frankreich mit Frankfurt:D

Au contraire.  The Germans are still naturally deferential but their postwar political institutions disperse power, primarily through federalism.  France of course remains one of the most centralized polities in Europe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:01:13 AM
Uhm we have already discussed that and I posted this story and a follow up. He says he used the term "boys" to mean young men, which is not that incredible, seeing how straight men refer to women they fuck (especially prostitutes) as "girls" too. :mellow:

Every time you manage to get me to like you, you come up with a shit like that that reminds me you are a retard.  :rolleyes:
He was asked the question more directly, if he paid for minors, and he never answered, he remained evasive, probably on purpose, to sell more books.  Who care if all your ennemies buy your book?  They're still paying for it.

However, I do believe he should resign from his position.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Faeelin

Still, Marti's right. As Spitzer shows, American politicians are fine so long as they only sleep with female prostitutes.

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on October 13, 2009, 10:59:14 AM
Still, Marti's right. As Spitzer shows, American politicians are fine so long as they only sleep with female prostitutes.

Ehm, Spitzer was forced to resign :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 13, 2009, 10:42:00 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 13, 2009, 09:58:59 AM
The French President has less powers than the US President in fact.

A simple comparison of constitutional powers illustrates that is not so.  Every power the US president has the French president also has. However, the French president can also dissolve the legislature and appoint the PM; in extremis, he can suspend the Constitution and rule by decree. 

There's no PM in the US since the President combines both powers. As for suspending the Constitution, it's true but it has only been once and I just don't see Sarkozy using it anytime soon unless REAL REAL trouble begins. Some constitutional reforms were made recently giving more power to the Parlement.
Dissolving the legislature is a real power? Well, ask Chirac and Villepin: double-edged sword...

Looking beyond the plain constitutional text, the US is characterized by strong separation powers, with a very powerful legislative branch and a federal judiciary armed with the power of judicial review.  The equivalent French branches are not as powerful.  The US President also controls only federal institutions, and the powers of the federal government are limited both by law and tradition.  The French system lacks a similar check on centralized authority.

Centralised Authority emanates from the ENA bureaucracy too, not only from the President which change every 5 or 10 years ;) Far more powerful than Haute Cour, Cour Constitutionnelle and Cour des Comptes unfortunately :(

QuoteAnd no, France is not highly deferential of political authority  You must be mixing up Frankreich mit Frankfurt:D

Au contraire.  The Germans are still naturally deferential but their postwar political institutions disperse power, primarily through federalism.  France of course remains one of the most centralized polities in Europe.

Décentralisation is slowly making progress but then it was originally designed by de Gaulle for a referendum where people said no to De Gaulle instead of giving their opinion about the plan...
Wish it was the same in Portugal where regionalisação is dead:(
Of course, France isn't going to be federal the way the US is for obvious reasons.

Both US and French regimes are presidentialist, major differences rely on the federal aspect of the US above all.

The Minsky Moment

QuoteThere's no PM in the US since the President combines both powers.

Not so.  All legislative powers reside in Congress.  The closest thing to a PM would be the Speaker of the House. read Article II of the US constitution- you may be surprised by the limited nature of presidential powers under the US system.

In France, except for the various interludes of cohabitation, the PM is often just a disposible political tool of the President.  Or a favored protege who is protected so long as he is scrupulously loyal.

QuoteAs for suspending the Constitution, it's true but it has only been once and I just don't see Sarkozy using it anytime soon unless REAL REAL trouble begins . . .
Dissolving the legislature is a real power?

A power need not be exercised directly in order to have impact.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2009, 11:09:50 AM

Ehm, Spitzer was forced to resign :huh:

I was being sarcastic.  :Embarrass:

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 13, 2009, 11:25:24 AM
The closest thing to a PM would be the Speaker of the House. 
Now you are just being facetious. That's so blatantly untrue I have to conclude you are either joking or someone has hacked your account.

alfred russel

That was really just the coup de grace on a terrible governor. Barney Frank and David Vitter may be better examples.

I doubt either would have survived a similar scandal involving Thai "boys" or "girls".
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014