News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

And the Peace Nobel Prize for 2009 goes to...

Started by Martinus, October 09, 2009, 04:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2009, 10:15:25 PM
The sinking and iceberg whacking parts are great.  Don't let the boo birds throw you off.
The special effects were, indeed, awesome.  I thought the atmosphere of the 19-teens was also worth seeing.  Cameron has no skill at getting credible acting jobs out of his actors, though, and the movie certainly wasn't the best of 1997 (though admittedly 1997 was pretty weak in terms of major movies).

Titanic is worth seeing, once.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on October 16, 2009, 06:39:48 AM
Ah, the old "I fucked up and said something stupid, and then defended it, but it is all the fault of 'what is wrong' with the person who pointed out my blunder" defense.  :lmfao: 

It would have been more credible, as well as time-saving, for you to have acknowledged my first point, which was that your first post was more-or-less a joke (i.e. thoughtless).  Why you disputed that and engaged in this "debate" is beyond me, given that you now say your comment wasn't worth such effort. 

I am sorry I wasted lifespan responding to anything but your first post.  I'll try not to engage in anything like a debate with you in the future.
But I didn't even think I was engaging in a debate!  What I did with my first post was like shoot an arrow randomly into the ether.  Your response (though more the second than the first, I guess) was like an ICBM fired directly back at me.

My "what the hell is wrong with you" response was out of line and I apologize for the personal attack... but it was like a knee-jerk to your voluminous response to my throwaway one-liners.

Your comment about not wanting to engage in debate with me is kind of moot, since I don't think we are generally interested in the same esoteric topics--else we probably would have had a confrontation before.

Going back to my first post, I will say that this is a conclusion I came to like ten years ago and have not re-evaluated it since, since after that debacle and the loss of SPR to Shakespeare in Love, I've completely disregarded the Oscars.  I used to actually bet in office office pools (and no, I wasn't mad because I lost that year :P  In fact, I won the pool and correctly guessed Berry and Washington would win).  You've obviously put more thought into this than I ever have.  I'm not the kind of person, which I think puts me in a minority around here, afraid to concede defeat--I engage in discussion because I want to learn, not because I want to prove anyone wrong and/or myself right.

Therefore, you are probably correct that I came to a hasty/ill thought-out conclusion.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2009, 09:35:46 PM
Titanic was awesome.  Well, the part with the sinking, anyways.
I got up from my seat three times because I thought it was finally over.  Even after the friggin boat sank, the only part worth watching, itjust went on and on.
PDH!

garbon

I've never seen it in order, but I think I've seen all of it at various points.  And how can you not love: "I'll hold on to you forever." *lets go of dying Leo's hand*
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DisturbedPervert

Some people say he doesn't deserve it, but I think he's very pretty

Viking

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 18, 2009, 02:31:35 PM
Some people say he doesn't deserve it, but I think he's very pretty

I'd have thought Obama would have better legs.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.