News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

And the Peace Nobel Prize for 2009 goes to...

Started by Martinus, October 09, 2009, 04:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2009, 10:24:28 AM
Of course not.  Then again, it's not entirely tinfoil to think that the Academy, like many organizations, are prone to react to accusations of racism, at least a little bit, and that might have swayed some of the voters.
Yes, exactly.  Didn't mean to imply I thought there was some kind of weird conspiracy, grumbles.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2009, 09:27:10 AM
No, I am not tinfoilhatted enough to believe that Rev Al Sharpton controls who gets Academy Awards.
Of course not.  Then again, it's not entirely tinfoil to think that the Academy, like many organizations, are prone to react to accusations of racism, at least a little bit, and that might have swayed some of the voters.
But this isn't what Cal is asserting, so I don't know why you would bother mentioning the obvious.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Meh. Those prize committees tend to be at least a little political; in class today, we were looking at the Pulitzer Prize committee's burn of Edward Albee in 1963 as compared to the "no prize in drama" announcement in 1997.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 10:28:00 AM
Yes, exactly.  Didn't mean to imply I thought there was some kind of weird conspiracy, grumbles.
WTF?  You said "That [Academy] award officially jumped the shark the year Al Sharpton bitched that not enough African-Americans won Academy Awards, and LIKE MAGIC both Denzel Washington and Halle Berry won the best Actor/Actress awards."

In order for your assertion to be true, then two things must be true:
(1) the award of the two top acting Oscars to black actors represented a "jumping of the shark," or the act so stupid that it forever changes the perception of an institution, show, etc;
(2) that the awards would not have gone to these two except for Sharpton's bitching.

The first is pretty close to racism.  Washington, had, in fact already won a previous Academy Award!  I cannot possibly see his winning another as "jumping the shark."  Berry had already won the Golden Globe and at least one Emmy, and in fact for this very role she took a top prize  at the Berlin Film Festival, the SAG award, the NBR Award, and a bunch of regional acting awards.  She had been nominated in this role for every top award (BAFTA, Golden Globe, etc).

The second is even more tenuous.  In order for this to be true, either Sharpton cannot have previously bitched about the lack of Oscar awards to blacks, or else something had to have changed in 2002 to have his bitch carry weight it had never carried before (and thus be effective in that year as no other).  Either of these are extraordinary claims that require proof.

I don't know where you got "some kind of weird conspiracy" from, though.  It is either a complete strawman or you are attributing someone else's arguments to me.

As I noted earlier, your statement was so absurd that I initially, of course, thought you were joking.  Besides, we all know that the Academy Awards had already jumped the shark when Titanic got Best Picture in 1997.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2009, 07:12:16 PM
Besides, we all know that the Academy Awards had already jumped the shark when Titanic got Best Picture in 1997.

:o It seems that 1997 was a bad year for awards in general.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2009, 06:36:54 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2009, 09:27:10 AM
No, I am not tinfoilhatted enough to believe that Rev Al Sharpton controls who gets Academy Awards.
But this isn't what Cal is asserting, so I don't know why you would bother mentioning the obvious.
Cal didn't assert anything.  He implied.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2009, 07:12:16 PM
WTF?  You said "That [Academy] award officially jumped the shark the year Al Sharpton bitched that not enough African-Americans won Academy Awards, and LIKE MAGIC both Denzel Washington and Halle Berry won the best Actor/Actress awards."

In order for your assertion to be true, then two things must be true:
(1) the award of the two top acting Oscars to black actors represented a "jumping of the shark," or the act so stupid that it forever changes the perception of an institution, show, etc;
(2) that the awards would not have gone to these two except for Sharpton's bitching.

The first is pretty close to racism.  Washington, had, in fact already won a previous Academy Award!  I cannot possibly see his winning another as "jumping the shark."  Berry had already won the Golden Globe and at least one Emmy, and in fact for this very role she took a top prize  at the Berlin Film Festival, the SAG award, the NBR Award, and a bunch of regional acting awards.  She had been nominated in this role for every top award (BAFTA, Golden Globe, etc).

The second is even more tenuous.  In order for this to be true, either Sharpton cannot have previously bitched about the lack of Oscar awards to blacks, or else something had to have changed in 2002 to have his bitch carry weight it had never carried before (and thus be effective in that year as no other).  Either of these are extraordinary claims that require proof.

I don't know where you got "some kind of weird conspiracy" from, though.  It is either a complete strawman or you are attributing someone else's arguments to me.

As I noted earlier, your statement was so absurd that I initially, of course, thought you were joking.  Besides, we all know that the Academy Awards had already jumped the shark when Titanic got Best Picture in 1997.
Jesus, what the hell is wrong with you?  I don't put hours, or even minutes, of thought into stuff I post on Languish, so it's folly to expend such effort in dissecting it.  Reserve your efforts for people (and I won't name names because I refuse to engage in mudslinging... except against you I guess ;) ) whose posting obviously consists of googling shit/reposting from Wikipedia and presenting it as their personal opinion/knowledge. -_-

Neil

Titanic was awesome.  Well, the part with the sinking, anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2009, 09:35:46 PM

The part where DiCaprio goes from pink to blue to grey really made it for me.  So about five good minutes, and just shy of three hours of inane crap.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2009, 09:59:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2009, 09:35:46 PM

The part where DiCaprio goes from pink to blue to grey really made it for me.  So about five good minutes, and just shy of three hours of inane crap.
Fuck that.  As soon as the 'TITANIC --- LIVERPOOL' slid out of view, the movie was over.

Caliga

I've never seen the whole movie, just the parts involving Kate Winslet and nudity.  :blush:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 10:08:08 PM
I've never seen the whole movie, just the parts involving Kate Winslet and nudity.  :blush:
Fat chick on couch. :thumbsdown:

The sinking and iceberg whacking parts are great.  Don't let the boo birds throw you off.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2009, 10:15:25 PM
The sinking and iceberg whacking parts are great.  Don't let the boo birds throw you off.
Dude, it's me.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 08:51:45 PM
Jesus, what the hell is wrong with you?  I don't put hours, or even minutes, of thought into stuff I post on Languish, so it's folly to expend such effort in dissecting it.
Ah, the old "I fucked up and said something stupid, and then defended it, but it is all the fault of 'what is wrong' with the person who pointed out my blunder" defense.  :lmfao: 

It would have been more credible, as well as time-saving, for you to have acknowledged my first point, which was that your first post was more-or-less a joke (i.e. thoughtless).  Why you disputed that and engaged in this "debate" is beyond me, given that you now say your comment wasn't worth such effort. 

I am sorry I wasted lifespan responding to anything but your first post.  I'll try not to engage in anything like a debate with you in the future.

QuoteReserve your efforts for people (and I won't name names because I refuse to engage in mudslinging... except against you I guess ;) ) whose posting obviously consists of googling shit/reposting from Wikipedia and presenting it as their personal opinion/knowledge. -_-
Actually, I will reserve my effort for that type and for the type of posters who actually want to engage in intellectual debate (and there are some here).

Bayraktar!