News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Books and you

Started by Martinus, October 08, 2009, 08:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I have been replacing my bookshelves this week and I realized that I have a lot of books that I will probably never read again. They are either cheap pulp paperbacks that I bought at some airport or something to have something to read on a plane (hello Dan Brown), but also stuff like dictionaries and encyclopedias that become more and more out-dated and really useless in this day and age of teh intranets.

Now, I've been raised in a culture/family where books have been always valued and treated unlike other utility objects. The thought of throwing a book away or burning it fills me with horror, and they are often in a shape that is too bad to give them away to some charity or school or whatever (I have a propensity to read books intensively, which means most paperbacks are seriously damaged by the time I'm done with them).

So I am considering locking them away in the attic or something, but I realize it is a sub-optimal solution.

So how do you deal with these issues?

Valmy

I give/sell them to the local used book store.

Or I would just toss them if they are particularly crap books or worn out too bad to be used again.  Right now my bookshelves are stuffed with history books.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I also have like a cartload of various D&D and Warhammer books. :nerd:

Ed Anger

I tossed some shitty sci-fi in those packages sent to soldiers. They got nothing else to do than read Kevin J Anderson. I sold off my crappy history books in a yard sale. Otherwise they stay and take up room, and eventually get put in the storage unit.

I don't even let people borrow my books. THEY BEND THE SPINES.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Brazen

I usually give them to charity shops along with unwanted clothes. Though in a bout of poverty, I sold quite a few to the book stall in the market and got a good price (they pay particularly well for sci-fi, apparently).

There is no excuse for keeping Dan Brown anywhere.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/21/oxfam_donations/

:P

saskganesh

If you have a mix of "good books you do not want" and "bad books no one wants", sell them in boxes together. sell by the bundle (estate auctioneers trick).
humans were created in their own image

Martinus

Quote from: saskganesh on October 08, 2009, 09:03:02 AM
If you have a mix of "good books you do not want" and "bad books no one wants", sell them in boxes together. sell by the bundle (estate auctioneers trick).

CBA.

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on October 08, 2009, 08:52:46 AM
The thought of throwing a book away or burning it fills me with horror, and they are often in a shape that is too bad to give them away to some charity or school or whatever (I have a propensity to read books intensively, which means most paperbacks are seriously damaged by the time I'm done with them).

So I am considering locking them away in the attic or something, but I realize it is a sub-optimal solution.

I give them away to a charity or lock them in the attic.  If they're seriously damaged, though, go for the throwing away.

Darth Wagtaros

Donate them.  The Red Cross will take them.  Or I give them to libraries' for their book sales.
PDH!

Neil

I keep them.  The thought of giving anything away disgusts me, as does the thought of throwing anything out, or selling anything.  Who knows, I might feel the need to reread some crappy fantasy novel that I read in grade school again.  And I know I'll want to read some classical sci-fi at some point.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

I give them to an organization that sends books to prisoners who request reading material.  I don't know if any thing like that exists in Poland, though.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 09:43:50 AM
  Who knows, I might feel the need to reread some crappy fantasy novel that I read in grade school again. 

Elric lost its magic as soon as I turned 18.  :cry:

Grey Fox

Give them to Monkeybutt.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 08, 2009, 09:48:13 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 09:43:50 AM
  Who knows, I might feel the need to reread some crappy fantasy novel that I read in grade school again. 

Elric lost its magic as soon as I turned 18.  :cry:
Yeah.  Nevertheless, I might someday feel like reading them again.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger