Main Menu

Newspeak invention #4876

Started by Slargos, October 07, 2009, 05:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Slargos on October 08, 2009, 01:49:13 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 08, 2009, 01:01:51 PM
Is this true though?
I've heard illerate is a discouraged word but thats mostly because very very few people are truly illiterate.Most adults who need to go into adult learning are just god awful readers, not truly illiterate.

Just google it.

"Korttidsutbildade"

Yeah, I believe the government may well be using it but I don't think its entirely a case of PC.

Even if it were there'd be nothing wrong with this bit of PC- they want to encourage these people to come to class and fix their problem afterall so a less negative word without so much stigma is a good thing.

And thats one horrible Swedish word. Whats the ut doing in there....
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Is this true though?
I've heard illerate is a discouraged word but thats mostly because very very few people are truly illiterate.Most adults who need to go into adult learning are just god awful readers, not truly illiterate.

Just google it.

"Korttidsutbildade"
Bless you
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2009, 04:46:26 PM
That isn't a word Slargos.

You're entirely correct. Technically it is three words. In Swedish, the sentencestructure is slightly different.

See what I did there? No space between sentence and structure.

Viking

Germanic languages often allow compound words. So allegedly the longest word in Norwegian is

karbondioksidbrannslukningsapparatutsprøytningsdysebruksanvisningvedlegginnholdsfortegnelsene

Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguisher Evacuation Nozzle Valve User Instruction Appendix Table of Contents

The Norwegian word is a bit longer than the translation, but the only real limitation is your imagination.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

And that's why Germanic languages aren't considered 'true' languages, with the exception of English, which isn't really Germanic anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 05:25:36 PM
And that's why Germanic languages aren't considered 'true' languages, with the exception of English, which isn't really Germanic anyways.

Dreadnought is a compound word :contract:

QuoteDreadnought Look up Dreadnought at Dictionary.com
    "battleship," lit. "fearing nothing," the name of a ship in the Royal Navy c.1596, but modern sense is from the name of the first of a new class of British battleships mainly armed with big guns of one caliber, launched Feb. 18, 1906.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Tyr on October 08, 2009, 04:48:57 PM
Is this true though?

Just google it.

"Korttidsutbildade"

Yeah, I believe the government may well be using it but I don't think its entirely a case of PC.

Even if it were there'd be nothing wrong with this bit of PC- they want to encourage these people to come to class and fix their problem afterall so a less negative word without so much stigma is a good thing.

Utbildning means education.
Bildning is a very loose term and closer in meaning to character and describes what a person achieves when getting institutional training.

You're right; this is not really about political correctness, but more about the trend of the last couple of decades of what is in practice the newspeak as described by Orwell.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on October 08, 2009, 05:23:27 PM
Germanic languages often allow compound words.

That was the term I was looking for!  :blush:

Viking

Quote from: Slargos on October 08, 2009, 06:07:46 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 08, 2009, 05:23:27 PM
Germanic languages often allow compound words.

That was the term I was looking for!  :blush:

fraflyttenedeuutdannbarsvensktaperfaen

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on October 08, 2009, 05:26:50 PM
Actually, it isn't.  It is a proper name that has taken on a new meaning for a collective concept, like kleenex or xerox machines.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on October 08, 2009, 09:18:55 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 08, 2009, 05:26:50 PM
Actually, it isn't.  It is a proper name that has taken on a new meaning for a collective concept, like kleenex or xerox machines.

So, according to your example, "dreadnought" is a case of consumer branding? :contract:
Experience bij!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Slargos on October 08, 2009, 06:06:14 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 08, 2009, 04:48:57 PM
Is this true though?

Just google it.

"Korttidsutbildade"

Utbildning means education.
Bildning is a very loose term and closer in meaning to character and describes what a person achieves when getting institutional training.

You're right; this is not really about political correctness, but more about the trend of the last couple of decades of what is in practice the newspeak as described by Orwell.

I'd rather be illiterate than learn Swedish. What hideous words.  :x
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help