News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Newspeak invention #4876

Started by Slargos, October 07, 2009, 05:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Illiterate is now considered a hurtful word to describe people who can't read and will be replaced with "short time educated" or more specifically "short time educated newly arrived".

My life just shortened by a couple of days.

I'm going to have to go see a doctor about my blood pressure.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on October 07, 2009, 05:55:42 AM

Atenolol  works well.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Slargos on October 07, 2009, 05:55:42 AM"short time educated newly arrived".

That's probably pretty hard to remember for morons that don't know how to read

PDH

Here the euphemism is "College Freshmen."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Why not just call them "short bus educated"?

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2009, 07:49:41 AM
Why not just call them "short bus educated"?

The idea is to make them seem less worthless.

Paperless, not illegals or damn dirty border jumpers who threw away their IDs to make it impossible to evict them

Angry dissafected youth
not car burning stone throwing muslim hooligans

Refugees
not Welfaremigrants without actual cause for asylum

The most restrictive asylum policy in Europe when less than 10% of "asylumseekers" were actually returned to their point of origin last year.

DontSayBanana

:bleeding: I hate PC-backpats. I'm not sure how the situation is in Scandiweenieland, but here, it would tick me off even more, because the problem is even more with high school graduates who are still illiterate/functionally illiterate.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Slargos

Quote from: Monoriu on October 07, 2009, 08:26:04 AM
We say "word blind".

The phrase exists in swedish aswell but it is the less technical term for dyslexic rather than someone who never learned how to read in the first place.

KRonn

Quote from: Slargos on October 07, 2009, 05:55:42 AM
Illiterate is now considered a hurtful word to describe people who can't read and will be replaced with "short time educated" or more specifically "short time educated newly arrived".

My life just shortened by a couple of days.

May Hod help us!   :huh:

More of this crazy stuff. Um, can I still say crazy? Or even say stuff? Surely someone must be offended.   :unsure:

Josephus

Here we just call them "Stoopid"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

I don't know where Slarg picks up this stuff. We must move in different circles. I usually meet educated and employed people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2009, 12:10:13 PM
I don't know where Slarg picks up this stuff. We must move in different circles. I usually meet educated and employed people.

:lol:

You just need to google it to verify.

I got this gem from flashback.

garbon

I'm pretty sure illiterate has been a hurtful term for a while.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on October 07, 2009, 10:23:06 PM
I'm pretty sure illiterate has been a hurtful term for a while.
Yes, kind of a tough term to be labeled illiterate. But I think that there's a standard to go by to determine literacy/illiteracy. For instance, governments and UN statements give out illiteracy rates and such for countries or regions. It isn't meant as a pejorative.