What temperature do you set your heating to (or air con if you're somewhere hot)

Started by Brazen, October 08, 2009, 06:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on October 08, 2009, 07:09:10 AM
Edit: Looking at a map, I believe we passed through Houston and San Antonio as we took a rather southern route before heading into New Mexico. I BELIEVE we stopped off in Juarez (edit #2 or actually el paso, we never went into mexico though we DID get stopped by immigration and had a hell of a time).

Juarez used to be a great place to go but thanks to the drug war it is one of the most dangerous places in the world right now.  Bizarrely El Paso is one of the safest cities in the United States and they are right beside each other.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2009, 08:52:51 AM
Quote from: Slargos on October 08, 2009, 07:09:10 AM
Edit: Looking at a map, I believe we passed through Houston and San Antonio as we took a rather southern route before heading into New Mexico. I BELIEVE we stopped off in Juarez (edit #2 or actually el paso, we never went into mexico though we DID get stopped by immigration and had a hell of a time).

Juarez used to be a great place to go but thanks to the drug war it is one of the most dangerous places in the world right now.  Bizarrely El Paso is one of the safest cities in the United States and they are right beside each other.

Whitey can do law and order.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 08:45:31 AM
Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 06:41:05 AM
Usually 72F.  This time of year we need neither heat nor cooling, normally.  But this has been an unusually cold year so we actually have the heat on late at night sometimes now.  :(
Have you got one of those weird Yanqui central air thingies? Otherwise I'd have thought you could just leave it on overnight and it won't switch on unless it goes under the thermostat setting.
I have a multistage heat pump that provides central heating and cooling, yes.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 07:10:19 AM
Yeah, my real point is that summer in Beaumont, Texas for example is drastically different than summer in El Paso.

A wet heat vs. a dry heat? 

Not all that drastic.

Now winter, is probably rather different.  San Angelo (Not El Paso, but still very much west Texas) was butt-cold in the winter.

Caliga

:huh: In my experience a humid summer feels drastically different from a dry one.  Beaumont is in like the bayou country, right?  I'm sure the summer is like New Orleans.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Depending on humidity (I'm just this side of having asthma), I usually set heating to 68-70 and air conditioning to 72-74.
Experience bij!

Fate

My AC is set at 75°F for most of the year. Houston doesn't see much temperature variation.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 09:17:30 AM
:huh: In my experience a humid summer feels drastically different from a dry one.  Beaumont is in like the bayou country, right?  I'm sure the summer is like New Orleans.

Maybe it's just me.  To me, when it gets to 90's and up, it's just "fucking hot".  ;)

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

lustindarkness

68 to 70, of course the last week it finally died <_< , good thing weather has been ok and all the windows are open and the ceiling fans circulate the air good enough, which we do at this time of year anyway.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 09:47:29 AM
It's snowing outside.  I won't turn the heat on.

Here too.

And since I don't live in an apartment I had to turn the heat on awhile ago.  I keep the thermostat at 17-18C. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2009, 08:52:51 AM
Bizarrely El Paso is one of the safest cities in the United States and they are right beside each other.

Thanks to the Minutemen :P

http://www.txminuteman.org/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Strix

I set the heat for 64 in the winter and the A/C for 67 in the summer. If it feels cool in the winter than I just use my wood stove to heat up the family room.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.