What temperature do you set your heating to (or air con if you're somewhere hot)

Started by Brazen, October 08, 2009, 06:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Never lived anywhere where I've used heating.   In cars just have used it for a few minutes in the morning to get it warmed up.  Had to use it hotels in Europe in winter but don't know what settings.

With air con I keep it on the low 70s.

HisMajestyBOB

I set it to 20 C in the summer. It doesn't actually manage to ever cool the room down that far, so I just run it until I'm comfortable.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

BVN

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I like the mid 60's Cause I'm fat.  But jeez you Euros really do like the cold.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Heat is on 65-70 degrees F. Or about 20 C which is 68F. A/C I use window units and don't really have thermostats on for them, but I use them sparingly except in upstairs bedrooms where it gets a lot hotter.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Brazen

Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 06:49:23 AM
21 deg. C here. I'm considering resetting it to 22, though (I LIKE the warm, although in these energy conscious days I guess that makes me  :menace:.)
I have joined the "put a jumper on" brigade, but that's mainly because energy costs are so frickin' high these days.

Warspite

Heating is 23C in winter, when I have lived in hot countries the AC has been set to 21C.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Agelastus

Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 08:13:06 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 06:49:23 AM
21 deg. C here. I'm considering resetting it to 22, though (I LIKE the warm, although in these energy conscious days I guess that makes me  :menace:.)
I have joined the "put a jumper on" brigade, but that's mainly because energy costs are so frickin' high these days.

Actually, I'm not as evil as I make out. The thermostat that controls our system was installed in the hall, which I knew from experience was the coldest room in the house (what with the front door and stairs being there etc.) I wasn't asked my opinion, of course...

Unfortunately, despite twenty years of experience, the empirical evidence of the last two years seems to prove that far from being the coldest, the hall is paradoxically the warmest area in the whole bloody house. One feels cold in every other room in the house before the bloody heating turns on with it set at 21! :mad:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 06:41:05 AM
Usually 72F.  This time of year we need neither heat nor cooling, normally.  But this has been an unusually cold year so we actually have the heat on late at night sometimes now.  :(

Resisted temptation to crank the heat, so far.  Seems to get just warm enough during the day to keep the upstairs fairly comfortable throughout the night, though we have a space heater in Tommy's room just to be on the safe side.  I actually hope it gets a little colder so I have an excuse to make use of the fireplace :)

Anywho, for heat I keep the thermostat at 68, and for AC I keep it at 72.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Brazen

Usually 72F.  This time of year we need neither heat nor cooling, normally.  But this has been an unusually cold year so we actually have the heat on late at night sometimes now.  :(
Have you got one of those weird Yanqui central air thingies? Otherwise I'd have thought you could just leave it on overnight and it won't switch on unless it goes under the thermostat setting.

PDH

My place is above a couple who apparantly are always cold.  I never turn the heat higher than 65 unless it is a Laramie deep freeze night.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2009, 08:41:01 AM

Resisted temptation to crank the heat, so far.  Seems to get just warm enough during the day to keep the upstairs fairly comfortable throughout the night, though we have a space heater in Tommy's room just to be on the safe side.  I actually hope it gets a little colder so I have an excuse to make use of the fireplace :)

Anywho, for heat I keep the thermostat at 68, and for AC I keep it at 72.
This pretty much exactly describes how I do it.  In winter, i keep it warm enough that a sweatshirt or sweater is comfortable, and in summer cool enough that, with all the ceiling fans on, I am cool enough.  So far, have not turned on heat since mid-April.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!