Main Menu

NFL Week V

Started by CountDeMoney, October 08, 2009, 05:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 10, 2009, 07:47:04 PM
Quote from: stjaba on October 10, 2009, 07:09:21 PM
Random question:

I saw a promo on ESPN for a documentary about the Baltimore Colts leaving town and it referenced a marching band. I did a little research and found out that the band has returned for the Ravens, which leaves the NFL with 2 teams with bands, Baltimore and Washington. For those teams, does the band just march/play during half time, or do they actually play songs during the game like a college band would? I've never noticed a band in the stands during a Baltimore or Washington game, but it's been a while since I've seen a home game for either of those teams on TV.

The Baltimore Colts Marching Band became the Ravens Marching Band in 1998.  They'll play some ditties, most mostly the fight song or refrains of it.
The Ravens band sits in the endzone seats on the east side of the stadium.  You'll see them in endzone shots and wide shots, they have their own bleachers.

I tried out for them back in high school--wasn't difficult, since they took anybody with marching band experience--but my school schedule wouldn't allow me to participate.  Yes, for those of you who still don't know: I was a band geek.

Even all those years without football, we always had the Baltimore Colts Marching Band.  God Bless John Ziemann.

Barry Levinson's new movie about the band is the one coming on ESPN this week.

I remember walking past the band on the way to the stadium before the Ravens-Bungles game in 1999 or 2000.  They had some weird mix of Colts & Ravens logos or colors-- like they couldn't let the Baltimore Colt thing go.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on October 10, 2009, 07:57:32 PM
You know, I really like the Chargers' disco fight song.

Nothing comes near the awesomeness of The Bengal Growl: http://www.entertonement.com/clips/mjzwylsdsg--Bengal-GrowlFootball-College-Marching-Bands-Cincinnati-Bengals%27-Fans-Cincinnati-Bengals-

I don't remember the Bengals marching band, but I remember in the very early 80s they had these old dudes who came around to different sections & would play short pep songs.  Seemed a bit dorky at the time but now I wish they had it these days, for tradition's sake.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Vince

Quote from: stjaba on October 10, 2009, 07:09:21 PM
Random question:

I saw a promo on ESPN for a documentary about the Baltimore Colts leaving town and it referenced a marching band. I did a little research and found out that the band has returned for the Ravens, which leaves the NFL with 2 teams with bands, Baltimore and Washington. For those teams, does the band just march/play during half time, or do they actually play songs during the game like a college band would? I've never noticed a band in the stands during a Baltimore or Washington game, but it's been a while since I've seen a home game for either of those teams on TV.

I miss those old fighting songs...

Cause we're the Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers number one! :whistle:

derspiess

Quote from: Vince on October 10, 2009, 10:52:36 PM
Cause we're the Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers number one! :whistle:

Caught that on NFL Films a while back & it's been stuck in my head since.

derspiess

Brilliant stiffarm by Caldwell on the opening kickoff return.

...and then on the first play from scrimmage, Laverneous Coles lets a pass bounce off his facemask.  Bench that worthless piece of crap now!

Neil

I think the announcers in the Ravens-Bengals game are retarded.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2009, 12:16:34 PM
I think the announcers in the Ravens-Bengals game are retarded.

Yeah-- the one dude can't get through a sentence without stuttering.  He got confused by having to say "Ochocinco" so he called Carson Palmer "Carso" :lol:

The World's Worst Longsnapper strikes again.  What a waste of a good drive :bleeding:

derspiess

That replay of the INT from up high in the Bungles-Ravens game was from my brother's camera :)

Neil

Now that's how you return an INT.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2009, 12:50:10 PM

The return wasn't what was impressive-- anyone could have run that back.  It was the way he read Palmer all the way & was already running full speed when he caught it.

Game's over.  Bungles got a new lease on life at the end of the 1st quarter, but they needed to play mistake-free for the rest of the game.  Palmer will be able to shake this one off, but being in just an 0-7 hole at Baltimore at this point is not going to be easy to overcome.

Rasputin

The Baltimore Colts marching band rocked.
Who is John Galt?

derspiess

Wow-- a successful FG attempt in spite of another shitty snap by Brad St. Louis.

Vince

The Giants are just toying with the Raiders.  I wish I hadn't sat Eli in my money league :pinch:

The Browns/Bills game is pathetic.

Neil

Don't be so sure.  Flacco's INT might have taken Cameron's balls.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on October 11, 2009, 12:54:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2009, 12:50:10 PM

The return wasn't what was impressive-- anyone could have run that back.  It was the way he read Palmer all the way & was already running full speed when he caught it.

Game's over.  Bungles got a new lease on life at the end of the 1st quarter, but they needed to play mistake-free for the rest of the game.  Palmer will be able to shake this one off, but being in just an 0-7 hole at Baltimore at this point is not going to be easy to overcome.

It is my shtick to give up on the bungles after a quarter.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive