Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

BTW, are the long loading times just a feature of my system, or is it endemic.  I see a few mentions of it here and there, but nothing consistent.  If it is endemic like it was in The Witcher, then we can hope that it will be fixed, as The Witcher was.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 01:25:44 PM
BTW, are the long loading times just a feature of my system, or is it endemic.  I see a few mentions of it here and there, but nothing consistent.  If it is endemic like it was in The Witcher, then we can hope that it will be fixed, as The Witcher was.

I have long loading times, but I wouldn't call my system high end. I'd say they might be a Bioware feature ... though they disguised them better in Mass Effect (long elevator rides, animated hyperspace sequences etc.).

I was confused in Redcliffe, because the usual loading screen you have normally when moving from one space to another never showed when moving from inside to outside.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Sorry Grumbles, but most of the reviews biggest complaints are the long load times, not sure if there is a way for them to fix it, so might be stuck with it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DisturbedPervert

I suppose load times for me are long, but I'm used to much longer so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Solmyr

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 12:51:33 PM
"Modern" RPGs seem to have moved away from the "timing" approach, and that is good.  The only bad thing about it is that they pretend that they haven't.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TakeYourTime

Solmyr

You can fix the loading times by quitting the game and restarting it. Looks like there's a memory leak somewhere, but when I restart the game the load times are fast again for a while.

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on November 10, 2009, 01:34:01 PM
Sorry Grumbles, but most of the reviews biggest complaints are the long load times, not sure if there is a way for them to fix it, so might be stuck with it.

Yeah sometimes they can get really long.  I have a book by my computer just for those occasions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DisturbedPervert

You guys should try playing Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2.  Every battle, and they are random as you walk around the map, there is a 7 second load screen to enter the battle. Even longer loading in some places. Dragon Age loading screens are nothing.   :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on November 10, 2009, 01:39:45 PM
You can fix the loading times by quitting the game and restarting it. Looks like there's a memory leak somewhere, but when I restart the game the load times are fast again for a while.

Ok I feel silly now I should have known it was a memory leak.  Good call I will start restarting the machine when it gets too long.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2009, 10:50:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2009, 10:33:40 AM
Wow aren't you guys smart.  Do you want a cookie?
:mellow:

Dude, none of us are bragging "OMG I AM SMRT I FIGURED IT OUT!!!111" or anything.  More like, "Wow, that was hardly shocking."  I guess the question is whether the writers wanted it to be or not.

Yes :wtf:

Habbaku

I am enjoying the game as well as could be hoped for, realistically, but it is not perfect, by any means.  Still, the characters are relatively engaging and a few of the little twists are certainly not what I expected.  Add in the fact that the story seems to have many points at which you can truly affect what happens to an area, a la Fallout, and I think I will actually play this again when I beat it.

Predictably, though, the bisexual/gay character is about as vapid and uninteresting as I would expect, though humorous at times.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2009, 08:04:50 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 08:00:07 AM
The rest of the initial story was absolutely predictable.  I knew as soon as I heard the battle plan and got assigned to go to  the top of the tower what would happen on the way there and what would happen when I got to the top.  It is what seemingly happens in every game like this.
Agreed.  It was so painfully obvious that I think they must have made it so on purpose.  Maybe the writers think people like having their egos stroked when they "figure out" what's going to happen in advance due to the foreshadowing.  I know nothing about writing theory so I dunno if this is something writers strive to do on occasion or what.

What I found annoying was that the basic gist of the betrayal was identical to the betrayal in the human starter story, just on a larger scale.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Solmyr on November 10, 2009, 11:56:06 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 10, 2009, 01:43:39 AM
So, I have Shale now.  Wonderful character, hilarious, and I think I'll keep it as one of my four to see what it says.

But....I was not happy that the girl died because I couldn't do the sliding puzzle. I wanted to kill Kitty and keep the girl alive.

You can save the girl if a) First you agree to free the demon in exchange for not possessing the girl, and b) After you do the puzzle and she breaks the deal, get her upset so the girl gets scared and runs away.
The sliding puzzle isn't too difficult to solve, just need to rotate the right directional tiles into sequence.

Legbiter: I am a bit further in the story and so far it does feel like Loghain is trying to do what he thinks is best for the kingdom (in a Lawful Evil way).

I just let her possess the girl. Morrigan was very approving of that particular choice.     :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 10, 2009, 02:56:21 PM
Yes :wtf:

It sounded like you were complaining about it. *shrug*

I didn't think the outcome was in doubt only what exactly the motivations of the principal actors were.