Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

The gambit system from FF12 did a good job of taking care of combat for the player.  You could program in up to a dozen conditional commands that the characters would follow all on their own if you were not manually issuing them one. 

Crazy_Ivan80

Lettow77

Bit confused about this tactics stuff. Are they just bragging that they have selectable scripts for characters, just as baldur's gate did?

The idea that I will be able to pretend I am playing an isometric 2D game is very exciting.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 19, 2009, 04:29:15 PM
Bit confused about this tactics stuff. Are they just bragging that they have selectable scripts for characters, just as baldur's gate did?

If it is really like the FF12 gambit system then it is not like BG script selection.  In FF12 you could program each character with a set of ordered instructions that they would carry out in absence of player commands.  For example

If ally dead cast revive
If ally is less then 50%hp(or 70%, or 30%) cast heal
Cast haste/protect/other buff on ally
Cast slow or other debuff on enemy
If Enemy is weak against fire, cast fire spell
Attack Enemy

The program would start at the top, reviving, healing, and buffing party members, debuffing enemies, casting spells they were weak against, and if none of those applies doing a standard attack.  All of this could be programed in any order or combination you wanted.

grumbler

Quote from: Cerr on October 19, 2009, 03:16:35 PM
Here's a bit about the combat from here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dragon-age-origins-hands-on_6?page=1

When it does eventually reveal itself in full, Dragon Age proves to be a flexible RPG that accommodates a wide range of playing styles. Baldur's Gate veterans will be happy pulling the camera back to a top-down view, pausing the action with the space bar and micro-managing the party's actions and placement in a quasi-turn-based mode. World of Warcraft players might prefer to zoom in close, let AI take care of party behaviour and punch out skills in real time, flicking between characters for variety. It's perfectly possible to smash through the game in this way on easy mode (the difficulty can be adjusted at any time) without ever hitting pause or needing to think, but even the normal setting is a significant step up that will require the occasional moment of reflection.

Or you could choose to do this reflection in advance - if that's not an oxymoron - by using Tactics. Tactics are a smart lift from, of all things, Final Fantasy XII. They are a version of that game's Gambits, a brilliant system of programmable rules for party behaviour that had the potential to revolutionise the single-player party RPG, but that we'd given up hope of ever seeing again after Square Enix dropped it. Happily, BioWare has had the good sense to revive it.
Excellent-sounding stuff.  If this works in practice, that pretty much retires my main concern.  Team-based combat where the player successively plays each player pretty much reached its acme with Jagged Alliance 2.  I have very little interest in playing this type of game again (and if I did I still have JA2).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

I agree.  I am much more excited about this game now.

viper37

Alright, I just pre-ordered it on Steam, the Deluxe edition.  It comes with the DLC already included, so if they seel it for 10$ like ME1, I only paid about 5$ more the game itself with the little gizmos.

If it's bad, I'll blame Neil.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DisturbedPervert

http://www.dragonagejourneys.com/

Turn based flash rpg where you can earn items for the actual game. 

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

I can pre-order on Steam but I don't exactly see the point of that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017