Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Turnbased RPG is superior.

BG level of "pausing" was a great compromise between realtime and turnbased.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Syt on October 19, 2009, 10:42:01 AMI'd be more worried if there were not enough pausing options.

Indeed.  If frequent pausing to issue orders and micromanage my party is needed I'm very happy. 

I think I remember reading there is even an auto pause option but am not sure.

Syt

I guess it will also depend on how good the AI for your team mates is. If they act well enough all by themselves (or if you can give them detailed enough standing orders for what to do in a fight) that you can focus on what your main char does during combat, or that you don't have to micromanage too much then it would also go a long way - though it has the danger that combat is on autopilot and you don't have to do anything.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on October 19, 2009, 11:43:31 AM
I guess it will also depend on how good the AI for your team mates is. If they act well enough all by themselves (or if you can give them detailed enough standing orders for what to do in a fight) that you can focus on what your main char does during combat, or that you don't have to micromanage too much then it would also go a long way - though it has the danger that combat is on autopilot and you don't have to do anything.

I would rather have good AI or the ability to preset reactions then having to pause everytime something happens.  Ideally I would love AI for NPCs that makes them react according to their personality (ie minsc always charges in bravely).

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2009, 11:52:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 19, 2009, 11:43:31 AM

I would rather have good AI or the ability to preset reactions then having to pause everytime something happens.  Ideally I would love AI for NPCs that makes them react according to their personality (ie minsc always charges in bravely).
Agreed.  If the AI isn't even good enough to prevent NPCs from dying while having healing potions available, that doesn't bode well for the competence of the designers in other areas.  Ideally, as you say, this would be a role-playing RPG (ie where you are in the role of the character, not in the role of someone playing a computer game).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DisturbedPervert

The game is 360/PS3 as well so they must have figured out some solution for people that don't want to micromanage.  The console version doesn't even have a BG/NWN style bird's eye tactical view option like the PC does.

saskganesh

the BG design was open for lots of pauses or very few. ymmv.

humans were created in their own image

Habbaku

Quote from: Slargos on October 19, 2009, 11:17:28 AM

:yes:  I am definitely in the pause-happy camp as well.  I tend to micromanage RPG combat quite a bit and the style of pausing that BG introduced (I think?) works perfectly for me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DisturbedPervert

The party characters in BG/NWN would happily drink potions if low on health, cast buffs or offensive magic, switch between ranged and melee weapons, etc all on their own if you wanted them too.  I preferred to turn it off, but the option was there.  It should be even more advanced in this if you want it.

Slargos

Quote from: Habbaku on October 19, 2009, 01:55:41 PM
Quote from: Slargos on October 19, 2009, 11:17:28 AM

:yes:  I am definitely in the pause-happy camp as well.  I tend to micromanage RPG combat quite a bit and the style of pausing that BG introduced (I think?) works perfectly for me.

Yeah.

I will admit it was a LONG time since I played BG, but I seem to recall it had markers for almost any event in combat, and that way you can basically set up your own scheme for what's necessary to break for which should probably please everyone.

In this day and age, there is in addition no excuse for a sloppily written AI so I am comfortable in my assumption that it will be possible to play without pausing at all. In the vid you can see they have several different ways to tweak the behaviour of the followers so I think they've got all bases covered.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2009, 11:04:56 AM
If what you are saying is that I need to pause a bunch in order to make the appropriate actions then I guess I will pass on this.

How would I know that?  I do not even have the game yet.  I was just saying I do not expect to be pausing that much more than I normally do in a Bioware game (obviously Mass Effect and Jade Empire excepted since you only controlled one PC in those games).

I was just wondering how a Bioware fan could be so against pause and play gameplay since that is all they do.

In BG and KOTOR you did not HAVE to pause alot but I did since I love to micro-manage and order every detail of my squads tactics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 19, 2009, 02:07:52 PM
The party characters in BG/NWN would happily drink potions if low on health, cast buffs or offensive magic, switch between ranged and melee weapons, etc all on their own if you wanted them too.  I preferred to turn it off, but the option was there.  It should be even more advanced in this if you want it.
That's what I am hoping for.  I don't mind the option to pause and micromanage, it is the apparent (effective) requirement to pause and micromanage that concerns me.  If the playthrough was so pause-happy because the player turned off the AI so he could micromanage, then I still have hope.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2009, 02:22:49 PM
... in a Bioware game (obviously Mass Effect and Jade Empire excepted since you only controlled one PC in those games).

I was just wondering how a Bioware fan could be so against pause and play gameplay since that is all they do.
You answered your question before you asked it; because pause and play isn't all that Bioware does.  They do "RPGs" as well.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 19, 2009, 02:57:23 PM
You answered your question before you asked it; because pause and play isn't all that Bioware does.  They do "RPGs" as well.

I still paused and played in Mass Effect...I do not really remember Jade Empire that much since my X-Box died rather early on it.3

Sorta funny you call those two real RPGs since there are probably a billion flame wars about how they are not really RPGs because of the action elements.  I am not sure what sort of games BG and KOTOR and Mass Effect were but I like them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Cerr

Here's a bit about the combat from here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dragon-age-origins-hands-on_6?page=1

When it does eventually reveal itself in full, Dragon Age proves to be a flexible RPG that accommodates a wide range of playing styles. Baldur's Gate veterans will be happy pulling the camera back to a top-down view, pausing the action with the space bar and micro-managing the party's actions and placement in a quasi-turn-based mode. World of Warcraft players might prefer to zoom in close, let AI take care of party behaviour and punch out skills in real time, flicking between characters for variety. It's perfectly possible to smash through the game in this way on easy mode (the difficulty can be adjusted at any time) without ever hitting pause or needing to think, but even the normal setting is a significant step up that will require the occasional moment of reflection.

Or you could choose to do this reflection in advance - if that's not an oxymoron - by using Tactics. Tactics are a smart lift from, of all things, Final Fantasy XII. They are a version of that game's Gambits, a brilliant system of programmable rules for party behaviour that had the potential to revolutionise the single-player party RPG, but that we'd given up hope of ever seeing again after Square Enix dropped it. Happily, BioWare has had the good sense to revive it.