What's the appropriate action when someone passes out while hitting on you?

Started by Faeelin, October 04, 2009, 02:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2009, 03:32:21 PM
Can anyone describe that whole "acid trip" and "talking down" stuff to an actuary?  What are those things?

It is like a 30 cent error hidden in Accounts Receivable.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Strix

If I know them than I get them to their home (or a place they will be safe).

If I don't than I would tell the bartender that this person is in no condition to be in a bar or allowed to leave on their own. It passes the onus to the establishment.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2009, 03:39:20 PM
Can anyone describe that whole "acid trip" and "talking down" stuff to an actuary?  What are those things?

An "acid trip" is apparently something all trained Canadians are required to do.

fixed for accuracy
:p

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2009, 03:27:51 PM

So I had the privilege of talking her down for the next 10 hours.  :(

From the outlined description of events, I would say you wasted your time on her and should probably just have let her cut herself.

Fucking TWO guys in HIS bed.

I mean.. there's gotta be some sort of common sense rule against that sort of thing.

Bad: Your mother fucking one of your friends.

Worse: Your mother getting DP'd by TWO of your friends.

You canadians are obviously better people than the rest of the world, with your carefree no-judgement morals.

Malthus

Weeel - that may take some time.

Suffice it to say that hallucinogens, particularly LSD, are really best thought of as tools. Unlike (say) smoking pot, or drinking, they ain't necessarily reliable in what they will do to your mind. A lot depends on so-called 'set" and "setting" - meaning, basically, the attitude and state of mind you are in, the people you are with, and the place you are at.

As with any tool, it can be used to build something neat, or to bash your thumb. At its best, hallucinogens can be a near-religious mind-expanding and life-affirming thing, helping people to see their relationship with others and the cosmos. But at its worst ... the reverse.  People can get drawn into a negative self-referential fugue of depression, which can be somewhat dangerous, leading to an exaggerated state of self-hatred.

In a sense, hallucinogens can help people to see clearly stuff that is normally invisible to them. This can be a good thing, leading to all sorts of valuable insights ... it can also be a bad thing, where what you see isn't pleasing. It all depends on what your mind (influenced by "set" and "setting") chooses to emphasize.

Basically, if you are with good friends who appreciate you and want what is best for you, and in a place that is safe and comfortable, chances are you will have a "good" trip. If you are with people who dislike you or could not care less about you, and is unsafe, uncomfortable and unfamilliar, your chances of having a "bad" trip are greater. Not that anything is predictable, sometimes people have a great trip in the most unpromising settings - but it is unwise.

"Talking down" is when someone who knows about this stuff helps someone having a bad trip ameliorate or deal with the bad trip.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Of course, I'm complaining about a damn dirty hippie being treated like a damn dirty hippie should be treated, so I don't know why I'm complaining at all, really.

Perhaps, deep down inside, I feel for this fucking hippie on a man-to-man level, where I am able to look past his moral ambiguity and see the poor suffering man inside.

Like if I saw a communist jew getting his cock cut off I would still wince.

On second thought...

Martinus

That sounds interesting. I've never tried drugs - I'm too stuck up and too much of a control freak for that. Though I think that if I did some day, the effects could be... interesting to say the least. That's why I am scared shitless of it. :P

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on October 04, 2009, 03:46:49 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2009, 03:27:51 PM

So I had the privilege of talking her down for the next 10 hours.  :(

From the outlined description of events, I would say you wasted your time on her and should probably just have let her cut herself.

Fucking TWO guys in HIS bed.

I mean.. there's gotta be some sort of common sense rule against that sort of thing.

Bad: Your mother fucking one of your friends.

Worse: Your mother getting DP'd by TWO of your friends.

You canadians are obviously better people than the rest of the world, with your carefree no-judgement morals.

Meh, I said I didn't like her much. She was good-looking, but dumb and looked like she'd have crabs or something, and probably did. But regardless, I couldn't leave someone in that state among strangers. It just wouldn't be right.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2009, 03:51:57 PM
That sounds interesting. I've never tried drugs - I'm too stuck up and too much of a control freak for that. Though I think that if I did some day, the effects could be... interesting to say the least. That's why I am scared shitless of it. :P

Wha.. like.. you might end up fucking some woman?  :P

Malthus

You are wise to be worried. I'm scared of doing it again myself, and I've done it dozens of times. I've just accumulated so much baggage of regrets and responsibilities, I'm worried about what I'd see and not like ...  ;)

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on October 04, 2009, 03:53:23 PM

Not really. I may kill someone. Or start a religion. Or collapse in a self-destructive puddle of psychological goo. :P

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2009, 03:55:47 PM
Quote from: Slargos on October 04, 2009, 03:53:23 PM

Not really. I may kill someone. Or start a religion. Or collapse in a self-destructive puddle of psychological goo. :P

You know.

If we ever do make that languish meet in Amsterdam, we're first going to have to go through the whole "Slargos was mainly just kidding" mantra.

I don't want "murdered by a polish faggot on an acid trip" in my final police report.  :P

Eddie Teach

If you didn't make fun of Marty, you wouldn't be a true Languishite. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on October 04, 2009, 03:59:03 PM
You know.

If we ever do make that languish meet in Amsterdam, we're first going to have to go through the whole "Slargos was mainly just kidding" mantra.

I don't want "murdered by a polish faggot on an acid trip" in my final police report.  :P

Especially one in which the murder method made the investigating officer giggle like a schoolgirl and/or puke.  :D