What's the appropriate action when someone passes out while hitting on you?

Started by Faeelin, October 04, 2009, 02:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

So, I was at a bar with friends lFriday, and we ran into some people from another law school which shall not be named but is much stodgier and uptight than my own.

One of their 1ls was talking to me, and the rest of his friends left; at which point I realized he was completely, incredibly, amazingly, drunk. Cue him trying to make out with me while I'm like "No," him pouting "why," and then collapsing on me.

I take him to a chair in the corner, trying to get a hold of his friends. Those who respond say "Haha, take him home with you!" At which point he sorta leaps on me. As I have no desire to have this happen, but I also am not comfortable leaving somebody passed out in a bar, I ended up taking him to his place, with him passed out around me on the trip, and then leaving.

I'm curious; apparently everyone I was there with thought this was ridiculous, and they'd have left them there. What would you have done?

Ed Anger

I've taken chicks to their home that I knew. Strangers? Leave 'em.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Leave him there.  Obviously he's not in condition to give meaningful consent.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2009, 03:01:28 PM
Leave him there.  Obviously he's not in condition to give meaningful consent.

I didn't take him home to have my way with him. I took him home because I didn't want somebody passed out on a street corner in New York. I left him after I got him home.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Malthus

Well, I think you did the right thing, myself. Just ask - what would you want someone to do, if the situation were reversed?

It sucks when someone's drunkenness imposes obligations on you, but sometimes it happens.

The worst is when someone's bad acid trip imposes obligations on you. That's happened to me - talking some girl down for ten straight hours, and I didn't even like her. Her so-called friends just dumped her at a house I was visiting and left - I was the only person who knew her there. Now, *that* sucked.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2009, 03:04:15 PM
The worst is when someone's bad acid trip imposes obligations on you. That's happened to me - talking some girl down for ten straight hours, and I didn't even like her. Her so-called friends just dumped her at a house I was visiting and left - I was the only person who knew her there. Now, *that* sucked.  :lol:

As someone who had friends good enough to talk me down from an acid trip way back in 1992, I commend you on doing that Malthus.

So, em, did you give her a lawyers' bill afterwards....10 hours times Malthus's hourly wage= Holy Shit. :hug:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

I like Neil's answer. but barring that, I'd probably help get someone to their home, then vanish.
:p

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 04, 2009, 03:13:35 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2009, 03:04:15 PM

As someone who had friends good enough to talk me down from an acid trip way back in 1992, I commend you on doing that Malthus.

So, em, did you give her a lawyers' bill afterwards....10 hours times Malthus's hourly wage= Holy Shit. :hug:

:lol:

I wan't a lawyer at the time, but a potter's assistant - my hourly wage could probably be neatly handled with some change found under the couch cushions.  ;)

In a way I was the cause. Though not directly. More symbolically, as it were.

To explain.

I had a friend who was (and still is) a dippy-hippy of sorts. He lived in a communal house with a bunch of other freaks. From somewhere he acquired a hott hippy girlfriend, long on looks but short on brains. Thing is, *he*was monogamously in luuuve with her - she, not exactly. She liked him well enough but also liked to fuck other guys on occasion, made no secret of this. This bugged him no end, but he pretended it didn't and stored up a heap of bitterness.

She moved into his crash-space, and things got worse. One day, he came home and found her fucking two other guys in his bed. Apparently, fucking other guys *in his bed* was a no-no, according to him, and broke whatever rules they had worked out. He didn't say anything - he just grabbed some of his shit and slammed the door on his way out.

And didn't come back. 

Well, she hung out for a few days, waiting for him to come back, and ge didn't. He just fucked off - no contact at all. His roomates started making noises about her either paying rent or fucking off after a while, so she left back to Montreal. His stuff went to the curb.

A few months later she was back in Toronto and with some "friends" who scored a lot of Acid. While they started to trip, they came to this *other* communal house, where just by chance I was also visiting. I hadn't known this chick all that well, but she knew I was a friend of L., and the very sight of me I guess lanced a big boil of guilt that his passive-agressive disappearing act had laid on her. She got all weepy and suicidal - "I'm such a slut I don't deserve to live" - and her "friends" annonced she was bringing them down and fucked off.

So I had the privilege of talking her down for the next 10 hours.  :( 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Can anyone describe that whole "acid trip" and "talking down" stuff to an actuary?  What are those things?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2009, 03:32:21 PM
Can anyone describe that whole "acid trip" and "talking down" stuff to an actuary?  What are those things?

An "acid trip" is apparently something all trained Canadian lawyers are required to do. Malthus is off it, and Crazycanuck and Barrister are on it.