And we're back!

Main Menu

World’s oldest hominin skeleton found

Started by jimmy olsen, October 02, 2009, 08:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Fireblade on October 04, 2009, 08:09:57 AM

homo polonis

They are going to find an ancient rock with outraged scribbling on it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on October 04, 2009, 04:24:11 AM
I think you're missing the point here, Tampax. The problem isn't creationists, the problem is Americans. Americans cannot be tolerated.

I don't believe Tamas went to school in America.

Also, it's Lady Gaga fans who can't be tolerated.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on October 03, 2009, 07:14:17 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 03, 2009, 04:56:45 AM

As a future history teacher, you need to explain that sentence of yours.

Seriously.
Tamas, you live in Majaristan.  How many religious people have you met in your life?

His Russian masters fucked it out of him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

A very interesting video blog discussion on Ardipithecus and a new genetic study on the ancestral population in North India. Spellus will love that part.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/site/bloggingheads-october-2009.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 22, 2009, 12:12:56 AM
A very interesting video blog discussion on Ardipithecus and a new genetic study on the ancestral population in North India. Spellus will love that part.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/site/bloggingheads-october-2009.html
Indians = Andamanese Islanders + Iranians.  NEWS!

How many times has Garbon been mistaken for a Desi?  Almost all my biracial white-black friends could tell you that.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Weirdly, they seem to be ignoring the possibility that successive waves of "Aryan" invasions of India, rather than one big Aryan invasion.  The Indo-Greeks, the Indo-Saka, the Tocharians, the Hepthalites....one big invasion wouldn't do it, but India received more than half a dozen invasions. 

EDIT: Their assumptions on the phenotype of the Proto-Indo-Europeans are questionable.  Most of the evidence I have seen on Indo-European grave sites indicate a very mixed people; IIRC Tarim Basin graves often have people of Mid-Eastern, Indian and Western European descent. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on October 22, 2009, 12:55:12 AM
Weirdly, they seem to be ignoring the possibility that successive waves of "Aryan" invasions of India, rather than one big Aryan invasion.  The Indo-Greeks, the Indo-Saka, the Tocharians, the Hepthalites....one big invasion wouldn't do it, but India received more than half a dozen invasions. 

EDIT: Their assumptions on the phenotype of the Proto-Indo-Europeans are questionable.  Most of the evidence I have seen on Indo-European grave sites indicate a very mixed people; IIRC Tarim Basin graves often have people of Mid-Eastern, Indian and Western European descent.
They don't ignore the possibility of successive waves of immigration, just that the Indo-Europeans and the Arayans came in different waves.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

QuoteBut Ardi has many traits that do not appear in modern-day African apes, leading to the conclusion that the apes evolved extensively since we shared that last common ancestor.

Scientists were still pressed to find an explanation for the fossilized remains of Air Jordans nearby.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on October 22, 2009, 12:47:52 AM
How many times has Garbon been mistaken for a Desi?  Almost all my biracial white-black friends could tell you that.

Yes, many a time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.