News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2010 Could Easily Be Disastrous For Democrats

Started by jimmy olsen, October 01, 2009, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2009, 03:30:14 PM
The stimulus bill is pretty much the only big new spending thing that has come out so far.
Oh that little thing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2009, 03:28:50 PM
In a perfect world, the Blue Dogs

I am sort of comfortable with neither party being able to get anything done without the Blue Dogs.  It seems to have kept the floodgates closed pretty well so far.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2009, 03:04:45 PM
Why are you a Republican?  What sorts of things do you think they will do if they take control of both houses of Congress again in 2010?

Jeez Valmy, let the kid cheer for his team.  For once, it's a team I don't despise :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2009, 03:30:14 PM
The Blue Dogs have been pretty good at holding back the storm.  The stimulus bill is pretty much the only big new spending thing that has come out so far.

And the lip service we are getting now is that the health coverage will be done without increasing government spending.
You should include the $100 billion in TARP money that was gifted to the UAW.

On health coverage I think you mean the deficit, not government spending.

Martinus

To the opponents of Obama's health care plan: how do you propose to address the fact that a portion of the American population has no health care and can't get one because they are unemployed, can't afford one and/or cannot get one due to an existing illness (e.g. people suffering from HIV)?

Or is this not a concern to you?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2009, 03:34:08 PM
Oh that little thing.

I thought it was a classic Keynsian reaction to the economic crisis.  Of course it was done in a fucked up way but it is Congress after all.

If doing something theoretically whithin standard economic dogma is the extent of the rampant spending that actually happens I think we will have weathered the storm rather well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2009, 03:34:54 PM
Jeez Valmy, let the kid cheer for his team.  For once, it's a team I don't despise :D

I just wanted to get Tim talking about the article and his opinions and not just the standard ':w00t:' or '<_<'

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2009, 03:36:12 PM
To the opponents of Obama's health care plan: how do you propose to address the fact that a portion of the American population has no health care and can't get one because they are unemployed, can't afford one and/or cannot get one due to an existing illness (e.g. people suffering from HIV)?

It's not a concern to them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Vince on October 01, 2009, 03:07:42 PM
A conservative website writes an article stating the Democrats will get trounced in an election over a year away.

Color me shocked.  :mellow:

There are quite a few doom & gloom conservative writers out there :contract:

Speaking of which, my copy of this should arrive today:

:worthy: Derb
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

It's none of my business.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 01, 2009, 03:38:13 PM

It's not a concern to them.

Then I'm glad I do not live in a country where greed and egoism trump compassion and social conscience.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2009, 03:39:45 PM

It's none of my business.

You are not a Christian, are you?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2009, 03:40:58 PM
You are not a Christian, are you?

Yes, and I am charitable.  I just don't like forced charity.

Valmy

My biggest concern is the extent that health care costs are skyrocketing and the middle man, the insurance companies, have all the power and a ridiculous amount of the costs goes to the overhead of supporting this middle man.

I feel that if we can get that under control we have a chance of the market becoming more accessible in the future.  The leftist solution is to create a competing public option to drive down prices but I think that has the potential to blow up the federal budget in the future and I hope more moderate reforms can be tried first.

I can only hope the Republicans see the need to reform the system even if they come to power because I believe it is needed.  Reforms that might be able to address the problems alot of people have in getting coverage as well that hopefully will not continue to saddle us with huge and unsustainable entitlement costs.