News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 22, 2023, 04:08:48 PMI think it's Freddie's Dead, not Fred is Dead.
But I couldn't find a personnel list. Discogs let me down.

Freddie's dead what?  :unsure:

;)

Yes, you're right, I had never noticed that before.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe. (self titled)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I haven't checked out Anthony Vincent in a while (I think he also took a break?), but someone sent me a link to his "Cha Cha Cha (Käärijä) in the style of Rammstein" which came out a couple of days ago. Well, the style works pretty well, because the Finnish Eurovision entry already sounds very much like a slightly softer Rammstein (hell, the singer has basically the Rammstein logo tattooed on his chest, albeit with a different "R" :P ).

Anyways, he's done some more "song in x styles", and while I thought some of his older stuff was better, these two were still pretty fun. :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Speaking of ill conceived covers:

The Trooper as slow ballad. Makes this song way too sad. :cry:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Syt

Man, Lorna Shore. I don't usually get emotional, but apparently a deathcore video trilogy can get me there. :cry:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Supertramp - Breakfast in America (1979)

The album works on the strength of its singles (The Logical Song, Goodbye Stranger, Breakfast in America and Take the Long Way Home.)  I think those are the finest songs Supertramp made.  There's a couple other good tracks on the album (I like Gone Hollywood and Child of Vision) but the other ones are mostly forgettable and the three on the second side (Lord is it Mine, Just Another Nervous Wreck and Casual Conversation) seem to run together.  There's occasionally an interesting solo, but not so interesting I could remember which song which solo came from.

Child of Vision was closest for the original concept for the album, where two people (and specifically the two songwriters, Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson) constantly talk past each other.  It's an interesting concept, but almost certainly wouldn't have worked as well as the album they made.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Love that album Sav. One of the first albums I remember listening to. I am quite the Supertramp fan, but for many reasons BiA is one of my faves. I do like Lord is it Mine more than you seem to, though.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

For those wondering what Roger Waters' version of Dark Side will sound like: He's released Money as a single

Civis Romanus Sum

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady (2001 re-release)

I'd never listened to the Buzzcocks before; they never had a charting single in the United States.  I read they reunited and opened for Nirvana for Nirvana's final tour, but I must not have paid attention (and grunge bands were always doing weird things anyway, like when Soundgarden played with that spoon virtuoso.  It was best not to get too involved.) 

In any event this is pretty good.  While they clearly took a lot of inspiration from The Stooges, they remind me a lot of The Ramones in that they could be funny or heartfelt; but always adolescent.  (And, like the Ramones, they have an awful lot of singles considering there's only so much you can do with three chords in three minutes.) 

mongers

Recorded a couple of old 'Top of the Pops' earlier, watching them, there's some good singles amid some real dross, but the real stand out was:

Donna Summers - 'I Feed Love'

I can't remember it's impact at the time, but it sounds near revolutionary compared with the other singles on the programme.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams (1993)

Takes the ideas from Gish and moves them far ahead with a much fuller and much heavier sound.  It's surprising this was made at all; James Iha and D'arcy Wretzky broke up (not that they actually played on the album), Jimmy Chamberlain's substance abuse problems got worse, and Billy Corgan was... well, Billy Corgan.  (I guess he was even more Billy Corgan than usual when making this album, but even average level Billy Corgan provides a hefty challenge.)  In any event everything works on the album from the rockers to the dream pop ballads.  They'd go even bigger (and longer) in the next album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.