News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2023, 05:25:41 PMMy nominee for unfairly neglected great old band is The Clash.

Who neglects The Clash?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2023, 05:27:57 PMWho neglects The Clash?

Oldies stations.  People don't sing Clash at karaoke.  When other people are playing songs for me they don't play The Clash.  Movie sound tracks.  Obviously it's anecdotal.  I'm not working off Spotify song requests.  I don't know what people are listening to on their ear buds.

When's the last time you heard a Clash song?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2023, 05:32:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2023, 05:27:57 PMWho neglects The Clash?

Oldies stations.  People don't sing Clash at karaoke.  When other people are playing songs for me they don't play The Clash.  Movie sound tracks.  Obviously it's anecdotal.  I'm not working off Spotify song requests.  I don't know what people are listening to on their ear buds.

When's the last time you heard a Clash song?

"London Calling" gets airplay, and is used in every single fucking movie when the characters are going to London.

I'm sure I've heard Rock the Casbah semi-recently as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Yeah, I wouldn't agree on the clash being forgotten. They're probably the number 2 punk band everyone knows after the sex pistols.
The London calling album cover is pretty iconic and maybe less these days vs 20 years ago, is pretty common on student t shirts and posters.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I said neglected, not forgotten. 

Josephus

Quote from: Savonarola on February 08, 2023, 05:11:49 PMEmerson, Lake and Palmer - Tarkus (1971)

I'm clearly missing something here; is there an ELP fan here who could explain why this is considered a classic? 

The cover art:

did remind me of the Spinal Tap quote as to why their audience is predominately young boys and not many females:

Nigel Tufnel: We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

I'm 99 per cent sure the armadillo reference in Spinal Tap was a reference to that cover, which, especially for a 70s prog act is quite terrible.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on February 09, 2023, 07:03:54 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 08, 2023, 05:11:49 PMEmerson, Lake and Palmer - Tarkus (1971)

I'm clearly missing something here; is there an ELP fan here who could explain why this is considered a classic? 

The cover art:
did remind me of the Spinal Tap quote as to why their audience is predominately young boys and not many females:

Nigel Tufnel: We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

I'm 99 per cent sure the armadillo reference in Spinal Tap was a reference to that cover, which, especially for a 70s prog act is quite terrible.

Yeah, very poor; something a 6th form or 1st year undergrad would be very embarassed about producing.

Edit:
Found this quite interesting, the creative team behind PF and many other classic album cover:

QuoteFlying pigs and drugged-up sheep: the inside story of rock's most outrageous cover art

Mark Blake's Us & Them is an entertaining biography of Hipgnosis – the maverick artists with a flair for overblown, death-defying designs

On 3rd December 1976, a 40-foot inflatable pig broke its mooring above Battersea Power Station and took off over the London skies. Warnings were issued on TV and radio, flights from Heathrow were halted and the police sent a helicopter up to chase it. Down below, members of Pink Floyd leapt into their cars and fled the scene, a photo shoot for their album Animals, which is arguably more celebrated now for its extraordinary cover than the music it contains.

It was a decade when record sleeves were considered so significant, fans would carry LPs under their arm to advertise their tastes. Psychedelia opened a door to new ways of visualising music in the 1960s, before progressive rock brought sleeve design to a whole other level of overblown grandeur, involving elaborate gatefolds featuring abstruse concepts and impossible scenes.

At the heart of this were two arty misfit friends of Pink Floyd from their Cambridge school days: fiery intellectual Storm Thorgerson and urbane wide boy Aubrey 'Po' Powell. They were barely out of their teens when they created the dazzling psychedelic cover for Floyd's A Saucerful of Secrets in 1968. Calling themselves Hipgnosis, they rapidly became the most influential album design company in the world, creating iconic art for many of the most celebrated musicians of the era.

Full article here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/us-story-hipgnosis-mark-blake-review-inside-story-pink-floyds/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Speaking of Pink Floyd, while saying he's not an egomaniac, Roger Waters has announced he's re-recording Dark Side of the Moon, because, really, the other Floyds didn't know what they were doing.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on February 10, 2023, 01:49:06 PMSpeaking of Pink Floyd, while saying he's not an egomaniac, Roger Waters has announced he's re-recording Dark Side of the Moon, because, really, the other Floyds didn't know what they were doing.

Yes there's quiet a good interview with him about this on the telegraph website
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/roger-waters-pink-floyd-dark-side-moon-gilmour-putin-ukraine/

It's weird, apparently he only plays one thing, a bass on just one track.

I can understand the likes of Jeff Lynne re-recording his classic tracks/albums, in order to gain a new copyright for something they never had a decend royalties deal on.

And at the same time, try to improve it.
And if you're Jeff Lynne play virtually every instrument a well.
But Water's album just sounds like a stalinist effort to paint the other band members out of history (or the photo as was so common in Stalin's Russia)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favor (1971)

I haven't listened to this in a very long time.  I remember hearing the lyrics in "My Song"

Love can change the world
Love can change your life
Do what makes you happy
Do what you know is right

And thinking "Mike, you gotta pick one or the other."

;)

This is better than I remembered.  The rocker "The Story in Your Eyes" is one of their most sophisticated and one of their best.  "Emily's Song" is also a standout track.  There is no goofy Graeme Edge poem, but there's still certainly plenty of Moody goofiness (most notable "Nice to be Here") and the arty tracks are as wonderful and as cosmic as ever.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on February 10, 2023, 04:21:20 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 10, 2023, 01:49:06 PMSpeaking of Pink Floyd, while saying he's not an egomaniac, Roger Waters has announced he's re-recording Dark Side of the Moon, because, really, the other Floyds didn't know what they were doing.

Yes there's quiet a good interview with him about this on the telegraph website
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/roger-waters-pink-floyd-dark-side-moon-gilmour-putin-ukraine/

It's weird, apparently he only plays one thing, a bass on just one track.

I can understand the likes of Jeff Lynne re-recording his classic tracks/albums, in order to gain a new copyright for something they never had a decend royalties deal on.

And at the same time, try to improve it.
And if you're Jeff Lynne play virtually every instrument a well.
But Water's album just sounds like a stalinist effort to paint the other band members out of history (or the photo as was so common in Stalin's Russia)

Yeah, I think it's not going to go over very well.
Civis Romanus Sum

Admiral Yi

Roger has been saying some wacky things on Joe Rogan.

But what can you expect from a guy who made a double album entirely about how nuts he is.

Savonarola

I've heard Waters wanted Dark Side of the Moon to have a "Dry" sound (that is, without after effects.)  It would be interesting to hear his vision (well, that's an awkward phrase, how about "Hear what he intended") but I don't think it would work out as well as the original.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: Savonarola on February 11, 2023, 10:20:19 AMI've heard Waters wanted Dark Side of the Moon to have a "Dry" sound (that is, without after effects.)  It would be interesting to hear his vision (well, that's an awkward phrase, how about "Hear what he intended") but I don't think it would work out as well as the original.

it's probably going to be similar to his recent version of Comfortably Numb. It's atmospheric, but stripped down of any "rock and roll" whatsover

Civis Romanus Sum

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on February 11, 2023, 10:56:03 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 11, 2023, 10:20:19 AMI've heard Waters wanted Dark Side of the Moon to have a "Dry" sound (that is, without after effects.)  It would be interesting to hear his vision (well, that's an awkward phrase, how about "Hear what he intended") but I don't think it would work out as well as the original.

it's probably going to be similar to his recent version of Comfortably Numb. It's atmospheric, but stripped down of any "rock and roll" whatsover

Forget that I said that it would be interesting to hear.