News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Eubie Blake - Memories of You

These are a collection of Blake's songs from the late 1910s and 1920s.  They're taken from piano rolls so, unlike a lot of early jazz recordings, the sound is crisp.  There's some debate over these are really recordings, or if these are a proto-jazz form like ragtime or the stride; but that's well beyond my understanding.  To me they sound like music that's usually paired with the silent Felix the Cat cartoons.  His best known pieces are on this, Memories of You and I'm Just Wild About Harry - the latter comes from a musical, possibly the first African American musical produced on Broadway, probably the first that featured a serious love story between two African-Americans.  (Scott Joplin had written a musical and maybe an opera as well :unsure:, but those weren't performed on (what was back in those days called) The Gay White Way.)

Whether or not these are really jazz, Blake was the real deal.  As a young teenager Blake used to put on his one pair of long pants and sneak out of his parent's house to play piano in a whore house.  He lived a very long life, he was forgotten after the 20s, rediscovered when "I'm Just Wild About Harry" became Truman's unofficial campaign song, forgotten again, rediscovered in the 60s and ultimately awarded the presidential Medal of Freedom by Ronald Reagan
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Time capsule: the #1 in the US Billboard Hot 100 22 years ago, 24th March 2001:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Lana Del Rey...her new one. Man, she keeps getting better each time.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Just noticed that The KLF uploaded their official videos to YouTube a while ago.

I had totally forgotten about this gem, which I assume is Josq's anthem:

QuoteBolton,
Barnsley,
Nelson,
Colne,
Burnley
Bradford,
Buxton,
Crewe,
Warrington,
Widnes,
Wigan,
Leeds,
Northwich,
Nantwich,
Knutsford,
Hull,
Sale,
Salford,
Southport,
Leigh,
Derby,
Kearsley
Keighley
Maghull,
Harrogate,
Huddersfield,
Oldham, Lancs,
Grimsby,
Glossop,
Hebden Bridge,
It's Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North.
Brighouse,
Bootle,
Featherstone,
Speke,
Runcorn,
Rotherham,
Rochdale,
Barrow,
Morecambe,
Macclesfield,
Lytham St. Annes
Clitheroe,
Cleethorpes,
The M62,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North.
Pendlebury,
Prestwich,
Preston,
York,
Skipton,
Scunthorpe,
Scarborough-on-Sea,
Chester,
Chorley,
Cheedle Hulme,
Ormskirk,
Accrington Stanley,
And Leigh,
Ossett,
Otley,
Ikley Moor,
Sheffield,
Manchester,
Castleford,
Skem,
Doncaster,
Dewsbury,
Hali-fax,
Bingley,
Bramall,
Are all in the North.
It′s Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North.
It's Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It′s Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on March 25, 2023, 09:13:35 AMLana Del Rey...her new one. Man, she keeps getting better each time.

I've had the opposite reaction. She now mumbles her way to quite incomprehensibility. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQrlBIMTzIM

My new favorite Elvis song.  From his movie years no less.

Video is tiny bit NSFW.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2023, 08:54:39 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQrlBIMTzIM

My new favorite Elvis song.  From his movie years no less.

Video is tiny bit NSFW.

Weirdly I'd like to have a go at that, not seen it before.  :)

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Please define "have a go at."

You'd like to learn to shuffle dance?  I've seen youtube tuturials.

The Minsky Moment

Not directly on topic but seemed like the best place to put this.

25 new recordings added to the Library of Congress National Recording Registry

"The Very First Mariachi Recordings" — Cuarteto Coculense (1908-1909)
"St. Louis Blues" — Handy's Memphis Blues Band (1922)
"Sugar Foot Stomp" — Fletcher Henderson (1926)
Dorothy Thompson: Commentary and Analysis of the European Situation for NBC Radio (Aug. 23-Sept. 6, 1939)
"Don't Let Nobody Turn You Around" — The Fairfield Four (1947)
"Sherry" — The Four Seasons (1962)
"What the World Needs Now is Love" — Jackie DeShannon (1965)
"Wang Dang Doodle" — Koko Taylor (1966)
"Ode to Billie Joe" — Bobbie Gentry (1967)
 "Déjà Vu" — Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (1970)
 "Imagine" — John Lennon (1971)
 "Stairway to Heaven" — Led Zeppelin (1971)
 "Take Me Home, Country Roads" — John Denver (1971)
 "Margaritaville" — Jimmy Buffett (1977)
 "Flashdance...What a Feeling" — Irene Cara (1983)
 "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" — Eurythmics (1983)
 "Synchronicity" — The Police (1983)
 "Like a Virgin" — Madonna (1984)
 "Black Codes (From the Underground)" — Wynton Marsalis (1985)
 Super Mario Bros. theme — Koji Kondo, composer (1985)
 "All Hail the Queen" — Queen Latifah (1989)
 "All I Want for Christmas is You" — Mariah Carey (1994)
 "Pale Blue Dot" — Carl Sagan (1994)
 "Gasolina" — Daddy Yankee (2004)
 "Concerto for Clarinet and Chamber Orchestra" — Northwest Chamber Orchestra, Ellen Taaffe Zwilich, composer (2012)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

"Weird Al" Yankovic was only very mildly known in Germany when I grew up - Fat and Eat It had made it on the (sparse) German video clip shows of the day more as an oddity than anything else.

It was in 1992 that a friend bought his 1991 album Off the Deep End and I copied it to tape from him (remember those days? :P ).

At any rate, yesterday after work I felt like listening to something amusing on my way home and put on this album on Spotify.

The songs are still funny, but I feel Trigger Happy, which felt like an over the top parody in 1992 feels a bit too real in 2023, when folks get shot for ringing the wrong doorbell, turning into the wrong driveway or accidentally mistake a stranger's car for their own.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2023, 12:55:39 AM"Weird Al" Yankovic was only very mildly known in Germany when I grew up - Fat and Eat It had made it on the (sparse) German video clip shows of the day more as an oddity than anything else.

It was in 1992 that a friend bought his 1991 album Off the Deep End and I copied it to tape from him (remember those days? :P ).

At any rate, yesterday after work I felt like listening to something amusing on my way home and put on this album on Spotify.

The songs are still funny, but I feel Trigger Happy, which felt like an over the top parody in 1992 feels a bit too real in 2023, when folks get shot for ringing the wrong doorbell, turning into the wrong driveway or accidentally mistake a stranger's car for their own.

He had wanted to do a parody of "Black or White" as the lead single on that album.  Fortunately Michael Jackson told him no.

My personal favorite by Weird Al is the video for Dare to be Stupid.  He made a Devo video better than Devo ever did.

Also see his biopic if you get a chance.  It's easily the most factual and accurate rock biopic ever made.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Alice Coooper - School's Out (1972)

It's hard to listen to the early Alice Cooper and think what might have been if only his band had been able to put up with the guy in make up with the snake.  They're far ahead of Aerosmith in terms of the garage sound and, for theatrics, Kiss wasn't even formed yet. 

It wasn't to be and they'd go their separate ways in a few years.  This is a great deal of fun; with the best use of a children's choir this side of The Wall.  This is Cooper's first concept album and, other than the title track, there's no hits and almost nothing else he performed in concert (Public Animal #9 has sometimes popped up.)  The songs are more story oriented; I think "Gutter Cats vs. the Jets" (POW!) is great.

Savonarola

Big Star - #1 Album (1972)

You can hear the bands they'd influence on this (notably Tom Petty and The Eagles.)  To me they sounded like a poppier take on the harder blues-rock bands of the time like Mountain or Fog Hat.  It's good, but I don't really get why they're legendary (other than they never really made it big.)

Savonarola

Superfly - Curtis Mayfield (1972)

I hadn't listened to the lyrics that closely before; they might not be as brilliant as the music, they're still well done.  They capture both the bravado of the protagonist (especially Superfly and Pusherman) as well as the desperation of the characters (notably Pusherman and Fred is Dead.)

Mayfield grew up in Chicago (in the Cabrini-Green Projects) the other Impressions were from Chattanooga.  I read a critic who said that this had to be a solo album as the Impression's country drawls wouldn't have fit the tone.  I'm not so sure, though, Issac Hayes grew up on a farm.  (Although this is a much better album than "Shaft.")

I wonder who did the flute on "Fred is Dead," I don't think even Motown's flautist, Bean Bowles, ever got his flute to sound that funky.

The Minsky Moment

I think it's Freddie's Dead, not Fred is Dead.
But I couldn't find a personnel list. Discogs let me down.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson