Military history readers, to me! For Moose and Squirrel!

Started by CountDeMoney, September 29, 2009, 07:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I need recommendations for authoritative accounts of Soviet action of Afghanistan, centered principally around military operations.  Anybody ever read "The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan"?

Anybody mentions Charlie Wilson's War gets a muj Stinger square in the nutsack.

Neil

You know, Philip Seymour Hoffman was delightful in that movie.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 29, 2009, 07:53:23 PM

Yes, yes he was.

Now consider yourself Stingered in your Speedo.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2009, 07:55:16 PM

Yes, yes he was.

Now consider yourself Stingered in your Speedo.
I'm just saying, when he broke that guy's window, it reminded me of the good old days.  It's a shame that the West doesn't have the moral courage to destroy their enemies anymore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

Sorry CdM, can't help you there. It's too recent a conflict for my military history interests.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

I really liked the office staff and the ass shots of whatshername.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HisMajestyBOB

I've heard good things about "The Bear went over the mountain", but have not read it myself. In fact, I think someone here was praising it.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tonitrus

I know I saw at Barnes&Noble, last I was there, what was basicially the "AAR" of Afghanistan as written(translated to English, of course) by the Red Army General Staff, and was chock full of grognard-geek goodness.

Caliga

Are you trying to design your own consim or something?  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

grumbler

The Bear Went over the Mountain is a hard read (as in, it really isn't designed to be "readable") and makes some questionable assumptions, but does have the kinds of details that aren't available elsewhere.  As far as I know, no one has written a balanced, incisive account of that war, and given life expectancies in Afghanistan and Russia, it may already be too late.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!