News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I hope he runs away, just for the sake of the shitstorm that would surely follow. :D

DGuller

Hopefully he gets shot while running away, so that we won't have to hear about him again.

dps

To bad it's not the 40's when it was perfectly acceptable for the cops to shoot suspects if they were running away, even if they were known to be unarmed, and the crime for which they were wanted wasn't a violent crime.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on November 28, 2009, 04:43:04 AM
To bad it's not the 40's when it was perfectly acceptable for the cops to shoot suspects if they were running away, even if they were known to be unarmed, and the crime for which they were wanted wasn't a violent crime.

That's an opinion I do not share.

Jaron

Yeah seriously. Might as well say "I miss the days when the king could throw you away in the dungeon for life for committing no crime" :lol:

dps goes over the top sometimes though.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

I doubt that really happened much except in Hollywood. Much cheaper to pay an executioner for a day than a jailer for decades.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

What do you mean? It happened all the time, even as far back as the Byzantine Empire. Executions seemed to not be a favored choice over imprisonment or exile.

Eddie Teach

I've never read accounts of long-term prisoners from the time period that weren't either being held for ransom or VIPs whom it would be too dangerous to kill.

Jaron

Eddie Teach

That book was set in the 18th century, and a work of fiction.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 28, 2009, 08:30:18 AM
I've never read accounts of long-term prisoners from the time period that weren't either being held for ransom or VIPs whom it would be too dangerous to kill.
There were such prisoners but until the 18th-19th century you had to pay for your upkeep which meant that practically a long-term stay was restricted to the rich.  The rest would go into prison and quite often die of the unhealthy conditions.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 28, 2009, 08:16:58 AM
I doubt that really happened much except in Hollywood. Much cheaper to pay an executioner for a day than a jailer for decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darya_Saltykova
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

I'm not sure how that case is relevant.  :huh: It's obviously not an instance of this:

QuoteYeah seriously. Might as well say "I miss the days when the king could throw you away in the dungeon for life for committing no crime"

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 28, 2009, 09:13:30 AM
I'm not sure how that case is relevant.  :huh: It's obviously not an instance of this:

QuoteYeah seriously. Might as well say "I miss the days when the king could throw you away in the dungeon for life for committing no crime"

So you assume that maltreating peasants in 18th century, Russian ones at that, constituted a crime?  :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

It violated the law of God. "Thou shalt not kill." -_-