News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 08:19:50 AM
Anyway, my life philosophy really boils down to two rules set out by Immanuel Kant (I paraphrase here);

1. Act like you would like everyone to act.

2. Don't treat other people like things.
He nicked those out of the Bible :P

katmai

Quote from: Brazen on October 19, 2009, 10:21:27 AM
Anyway, my life philosophy really boils down to two rules set out by Immanuel Kant (I paraphrase here);

Something I'm sure Marcin has never read, i believe his skin burns upon touching it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

C.C.R.

Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2009, 10:21:02 AM
Quote from: C.C.R. on October 19, 2009, 10:18:17 AM
  If that makes me uncivilized then I guess I'm a fucking barbarian...
Wait, that was ever in doubt?

Pffft.  No...

;)

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on October 19, 2009, 09:11:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 04:57:10 AM

See, you are the kind of idiot opposite extreme to grallon's idiot extreme.

Hopefully, laws would be based on reason and fall somewhere in between.

One would hope we have moved, as a civilization, from both pater familias and pederasty but reading Languish, I sometimes think that the last 2000 years were more or less inconsequentia[l/b].  :rolleyes:
So you try for the idiot hyperbolic extreme?  Well-done, if that was your aim.

I would agree with you that the law should not force people to comply with CCR's views on when sex is appropriate, but he clearly is stating that his rules are for his kids.

Only that he doesn't make rules for his kids. They are not his property.

Martinus

Not really. This is quite different from the second Jesus's commandment and doesn't incorporate God unlike the first Jesus's commandment (and don't get me even started on the rest of the Bible).

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2009, 10:25:52 AM

Something I'm sure Marcin has never read, i believe his skin burns upon touching it.

Actually unlike apparently both of you, I have read the Bible so I know there is no "Do unto others" commandment there, contrary to a popular opinion. ;)

katmai

Um sorry Marcin but once again you show yourself to be clueless.

Berkut

Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2009, 11:01:11 AM

Why does Marty being clueless make you sorry?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2009, 11:07:34 AM
Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2009, 11:01:11 AM

Why does Marty being clueless make you sorry?

Because it shows we should have let the Germans and Russians keep Poland.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 10:55:59 AM
Actually unlike apparently both of you, I have read the Bible so I know there is no "Do unto others" commandment there, contrary to a popular opinion. ;)

Rather than spend a lot of time answering this I'm just going to post an except from Wikipedia:

QuoteChristianity
See also: Christianity
Within Christian circles, the ethic of reciprocity is often called the "Golden Rule". Christianity adopted the ethic from two edicts, found in Leviticus 19:18 ("Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself.", see also Great Commandment) and Leviticus 19:34 ("But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God"). Crucially, Leviticus 19:34 universalizes the edict of Leviticus 19:18 from "one of your people" to all of humankind.

The Old Testament Deuterocanonical books of Tobit and Sirach accepted as part of the Scriptural canon by Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and the Non-Chalcedonian Churches also express the Silver Rule.

Tobit 4:15 "Do to no one what you yourself dislike."

Sirach 31:15 "Recognize that your neighbor feels as you do, and keep in mind your own dislikes."

Several passages in the New Testament quote Jesus of Nazareth espousing the ethic of reciprocity, including the following:

Matthew 7:12

12Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Luke 6:31

31And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

Luke 10:25-28

25And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 26He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 27And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. 28And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

Jesus then proceeded to tell the parable of the Good Samaritan, indicating that "your neighbour" means a total stranger, or someone that happens to be nearby. Jesus' teaching, however, goes beyond the negative formulation of not doing what one would not like done to themselves, to the positive formulation of actively doing good to another that, if the situations were reversed, one would desire that the other would do for them. This formulation, as indicated in the parable of the Good Samaritan, emphasises the needs for positive action that brings benefit to another, not simply restraining oneself from negative activities that hurt another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic_of_reciprocity#Christianity
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 10:50:51 AM

:lol:

Maximus

Apparently Martinus is the property of the Polish government.

Martinus

Anyway it's not what Kant's principles are saying.

New Testament rules are very personal - Kant's can form a basis for rules and laws of the society. For example, if I punish a murderer, I am not "doing unto him like I would like him to do unto me", but I am acting according to the principle which I would like to be made a universal law (i.e. murderers are punished).

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 11:58:50 AM
Anyway it's not what Kant's principles are saying.

New Testament rules are very personal - Kant's can form a basis for rules and laws of the society. For example, if I punish a murderer, I am not "doing unto him like I would like him to do unto me", but I am acting according to the principle which I would like to be made a universal law (i.e. murderers are punished).

Well since Jesus very pointedly did not spell out rules for an entire society, but only rules for individuals, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

But I know what point I was trying to make.  I was trying to point out that your quote:

Quote from: MartinusActually unlike apparently both of you, I have read the Bible so I know there is no "Do unto others" commandment there, contrary to a popular opinion.

was wrong.  :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 10:50:51 AM
No one can "make rules" for their property.  :huh:

Well, I suppose you could make a rule that your house must jog around the block every day, but the house won't obey your rule. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!