News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2009, 07:30:21 PM
I'm still shocked that he fled over 48 days after doing 48 days.

But he's TALENTED.

DGuller

Are we sure that he fled the prospect of only 48 days, or is that figure a result of misunderstanding the facts somewhere?

Agelastus

Quote from: DGuller on September 29, 2009, 08:04:42 PM
Are we sure that he fled the prospect of only 48 days, or is that figure a result of misunderstanding the facts somewhere?

Well, I can't say I have personally seen the court documents, so I guess it all depends on whether or not you believe in the quality of CNN's researchers. I will say that it sounds a ridiculously low sentence for the nature of the crime, but I'm not au-fait with the standards of justice applied to celebrities in California in the 1970s.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

As Joan explained earlier, the DA enters a sentencing recommendation after a plea then the judge decides.  So if you mean prospect as in possibility, it seems yes.  If you mean prospect as in certainty it seems no.

Berkut

Quote from: Agelastus on September 29, 2009, 08:18:48 PM

Well, I can't say I have personally seen the court documents, so I guess it all depends on whether or not you believe in the quality of CNN's researchers. I will say that it sounds a ridiculously low sentence for the nature of the crime, but I'm not au-fait with the standards of justice applied to celebrities in California in the 1970s.

Well, it would be a ridiculously low sentence for rape and sodomy, but maybe not for "illegal sex with a minor".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2009, 08:25:32 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on September 29, 2009, 08:18:48 PM

Well, it would be a ridiculously low sentence for rape and sodomy, but maybe not for "illegal sex with a minor".

I dunno, from the guilty plea transcript it looked like "illegal sex with a minor" was taken seriously; Polanski was going to be examined for classification as a "Mentally Disordered Sex Offender" and potentially civilly committed.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2009, 05:22:27 PM
I just hope if we manage to bring his perverted old ass back to the US he doesn't get some little slap on the wrist because of his status and sent free. I bet he doesn't get any real jail time though.

So he can be deported... as JR said if the sppropriate sentence was given, he'd likely be deported. That'd be useful: We got you now leave again. The system works.

He should fake his death like MJ and go to Monster Island.
:p

Jaron

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 29, 2009, 08:57:18 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2009, 05:22:27 PM
I just hope if we manage to bring his perverted old ass back to the US he doesn't get some little slap on the wrist because of his status and sent free. I bet he doesn't get any real jail time though.

So he can be deported... as JR said if the sppropriate sentence was given, he'd likely be deported. That'd be useful: We got you now leave again. The system works.

He should fake his death like MJ and go to Monster Island.

No, he should spend the rest of his life in prison. That is the ideal ending.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2009, 07:12:31 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 29, 2009, 07:11:20 PM
I'm bored, and don't wanna read 26 pages. So can someone sum it up and tell me who defended a man who drugged and forced himself on a thirteen year old girl?
France, Anne Applebaum,  and Whoopi Goldberg.

Oh fuck off already.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2009, 09:09:40 PM
No, he should spend the rest of his life in prison. That is the ideal ending.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Dude looks amazingly like Danny Kaye, doesn't he?

Berkut

Quote from: Zoupa on September 29, 2009, 10:22:56 PM
I'm bored, and don't wanna read 26 pages. So can someone sum it up and tell me who defended a man who drugged and forced himself on a thirteen year old girl?

Oh fuck off already.

:huh:

France has been harboring the guy for the last 30 years.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2009, 10:53:52 PM

You forgot Poland :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2009, 10:53:52 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 29, 2009, 10:22:56 PM

Oh fuck off already.

Whatever.